Sign in to follow this  
RubixsQube

Jurassic World: Wasting away in Margaritaville

Notice how little camera movement there is, apart from a few tracking shots. Also, notice that the film is from a human's perspective most of the time, instead of flying around. When we enter the (ACTUAL PHYSICAL) doors of Jurassic Park, the camera is sitting on the roadway, just pointed towards the doors, which are slightly left of center. Just because you can make everything dynamic doesn't mean you should

This completely fucks up my personal canon where Jurassic Park exists in the Law and Order universe and that one geneticist is so fucked up over his experience at the park that he switches to psychology, gets his PhD, and starts consulting with the NYPD to try to help other trauma victims.

You could perhaps replace his backstory as previously being the chaplain from Oz who's daily experience dealing with a prison full of the worst people on the planet caused personal trauma that he then used for research on his PhD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5gbNtYw9KA

Out of curiosity, I went and rewatched the 1993 Jurassic Park trailer. Remember when kids movies were fun? Schlocky, sure, but still fun.

Man, the evolution from Jurassic Park 1993 - Jurassic Park 3D - Jurassic World is so sad, says grumpy old person (me).

Agreed. Sad to see heart replaced with CG. Also I LOVE that when the trailer says "a Steven Spielberg film" it's Sam Neill giving the Spielberg Face.

Spielberg face explained:

As for the movie, I never watched any of the Jurassic sequels.  Are either any good?

imo 2 was dreadful (with a handful of good moments, half of which were also from the first book) and 3 was solid.

One thing I will give Jurassic World is that it seems like they got the sound spot-on. The ridiculous hoops that the sound engineers jumped through to produce the distinct, recognizable noises that the original JP dinosaurs had is exactly the kind of thing that fascinates me.

Between the strawman caution mongering (this GMO/AI/Virus/Techonology we just made up is super scary, science is badguys) and the constant reheating of old ideas- I have very little interest in seeing most new films. 

Unless Samuel L Jackson's severed arm is listed as a supporting actor i'm gonna have to pass on this.

So much hate!

Looks like a dumb movie. Just like the first movie. It'll probably be fun. Let's all watch it together!

As an adult I tend to be cynical. However, I'm trying to keep in mind that when I was 8 and saw the original my little mind was completely blown and all I wanted to do was grow up to be a paleontologist. 

I watched recently Jurassic Park 1 all I remember is how annoying that girls screams are. The first time screaming has ruined a movie for me?

Its not like the first one was that great, but it looks better than World. I think the main reason I liked 1 and 2 at all was Jeff Goldblum.

Notice how little camera movement there is, apart from a few tracking shots. Also, notice that the film is from a human's perspective most of the time, instead of flying around. When we enter the (ACTUAL PHYSICAL) doors of Jurassic Park, the camera is sitting on the roadway, just pointed towards the doors, which are slightly left of center. Just because you can make everything dynamic doesn't mean you should

Apparently the gate in the new trailer is practical, but because of the compositing job and the godawful color-timing it looks flat, lifeless and fake.

The hybrid dinosaur is one of the dumbest Hollywood things imaginable. Like who could possibly think that giant reptilian predators aren't scary enough as is? 

Reflecting on this, the hybrid dino means that, presumably, the Jurassic World staff felt that tourists were somehow not impressed enough by their theme park full of real fucking dinosaurs.

So I guess no one thought how useless the protection of having them all trapped on an island is if you breed them so they can swim?

I guess the same logic follows with JP3 though, so I dunno.

You could perhaps replace his backstory as previously being the chaplain from Oz who's daily experience dealing with a prison full of the worst people on the planet caused personal trauma that he then used for research on his PhD.

He can obviously time travel, having gone back to Wei Dynasty China to seduce Mulan.

...I really like B.D. Wong.

Reflecting on this, the hybrid dino means that, presumably, the Jurassic World staff felt that tourists were somehow not impressed enough by their theme park full of real fucking dinosaurs.

They look too much like ostriches! We need more scales!

Maybe BD Wong accidentally smashed a load of DNA-containing test-tubes together and was like, "Uhhh... new idea - dino hybrids!"

The thing that kills it for me isn't the ludicrous premise, but the severe lack of character actors. At least in this trailer.

The shot of the shark keeps making me think of some Video game cutscene segment (far cry?) that got thrown in somehow.

I liked the setting of first JP and mix of really tacky actionfigure-looking park elements (those jeeps!! the logos plastered on everything) with swampy vivid jungle island. I like this setting too, water emphasis and how all the crowd shots look like brochure pictures for some kind of gated development community. Is shame about plot and seeming lack of animatronic stunt dinos.

The thing that kills it for me isn't the ludicrous premise, but the severe lack of character actors. At least in this trailer.

Judy Greer, Ty Burrell (I think), Bryce Dallas Howard..?

What's missing in the shot of the giant aquatic dinosaur leaping upwards, is Leon S. Kennedy getting knocked over in a little boat.