Sno

The terrible wallet scourge of the Amiibo.

I love the packaging and artwork for Super Mario Maker, but that pixel/voxel amiibo is big and ugly. My bank balance is thankful for this.

Interestingly, I've noticed that here in Spain all the new Disney Infinity 3.0 figures have a big white sticker on the side saying they are distributed by Nintendo Iberica.

Hey a game that focuses solely on amiibo is out tomorrow (It is Animal Crossing). It looks medium-boring, but will probably be slightly less friend-killing than Mario Party, and easier to play if one is inebriated. Also, the amiibo are super cute! I bought all of them, and will post pictures tomorrow.

In case you are wondering how much the game matters vs. the amiibo, this is literally what Aya Kyoguku (franchise director) said in an interview a few months back.

"Initially when the Amiibo was announced, there was nothing really said about Animal Crossing Amiibos or any plans for that matter. But as the Animal Crossing team, we were confident that if there was one, it would be really cute… honestly, we just wanted Animal Crossing Amiibo. We wanted the company to make Animal Crossing Amiibo, so that’s why we made a game that works with them."

Points for honesty.

I don't own a Wii U so I'm not sure why I did this.

post-8337-0-53703100-1447599696_thumb.jpg

Should I:

1) Give it to my nieces for Christmas—who also do not have a Wii U?

2) Open it and hug it?

HUG IT! HUG IT! HUG IT!
(I bought a Roald from Animal Crossing Amiibo card off ebay last night because i love him so much even though I don't a WiiU)

I also bought a Jigglypuff amiibo before I owned SSB or there was amiibo capabilities for the 3DS so I may be giving bad advice.

Someone did a Sable custom and it's equally incredible.

http://imgur.com/a/t7m4n

There are some generic shared events between characters (Today I went shopping!), but each one also has unique character-focused events as well. Mabel's got one where she and Labelle buy a new sewing machine for Sable, Tom Nook has one where he teaches his kids how to bleed people dry, K.K. gets recognized in the club...

The whole thing is super cute, is what I'm saying here.

Dang it, my wife really wants an Isabel Amiibo, and now I somehow missed when they announced a release date. :(

Edit: Oh, only with the whole game huh....

I decided to import some other official figures from Japan instead and see what quality they are.

http://www.play-asia.com/animal-crossing-soft-vinyl-figure-totakeke-and-shizue/13/707qq9 

Might still buy the single Amiibo from Japan so I don't have to waste money on the game when I don't have a Wii-U.

http://www.play-asia.com/amiibo-animal-crossing-series-figure-shizue-winter-clothes/13/708x77

Please say "Mission Complete" in the Smash Bros announcer voice

20151212_162501_zpsf8us81bb.jpg

Tremendous thanks to n1njasquirrel for the final three: DeDeDe, Palutena, Rosalina

Holy shit. I keep thinking I'll pick up one these things eventually but never do. I don't know who my favorite Nintendo character is. Maybe a Kirby or yoshi.

Can someone post in here when the Shovel Knight Amiibo becomes available? I'm tired of going to Best Buy's site every two weeks to check.

Jan. 6th, but I'm sure I'll post here again.

Did I already rearrange that setup to reflect the new character screen post-Cloud YOU BETCHA

Jan. 6th, but I'm sure I'll post here again.

Did I already rearrange that setup to reflect the new character screen post-Cloud YOU BETCHA

Oh man I didn't even notice that was the order you set them in. I fail as a Smash Bros player :(

Well, your tag is "Fake Gamer Guy," so it all checks out. I'm curious how they're going to fit two extra characters in there; current space dictates they really only have room for one more in that bottom row, and that extra character will throw everything off. They're going to end up with 59 total slots including random, so there's no way one row doesn't end up weird. 15,15,15,14?

My display is going to be a disaster :S

I may have resorted to importing certain amiibos from Japan.

Those things aren't region locked, i guess.

ooooh which ones? And yeah, they're not. A good chunk of mine are imported. Off the top of my head:

Rosalina & Luma, Palutena, DeDeDe - Europe (from n1njasquirrel)

Robin (Reflet), Lucina, Ness, Ike, Pit, Wario, Charizard (LIZARDON), Wii Fit Trainer, Meta Knight - Japan

All of my Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Yarn Yoshi, and the Toad from the Super Mario line are US. The rest are also US. A lot of the ones I imported were retailer exclusive and/or never reprinted. Rosalina was Target-only, Palutena was Amazon-only, Ness was Gamestop-only. To my knowledge, DeDeDe and Ness still haven't been reprinted in the US.