Sno

The terrible wallet scourge of the Amiibo.

I don't even own Smash Wii U, let alone a Wii U, but here i am with a Kirby Amiibo and a Samus Amiibo.

I heard Marth's derpy, badly-sculpted Amiibo was being delivered to stores in very limited numbers, so i checked a few stores to see if i could find him, and most store clerks were saying they only got one or two of him in and that they were literally the first Amiibos they sold in some cases. It was known a little in advance that Marth was going to be relatively rare, so i imagine people just descended on these stores to buy him up. (So hey, if you see Marth, consider picking him up.)

Anyways, Samus and Kirby. They look better in person than those early shots of the production figures let on. The figures are fairly nice desk ornaments, i guess. That's pretty much what they're going to be for me, for the time being at least.

Also, it looks like there's lots of problems with misaligned parts on the Amiibos, just in general. So if anybody's going to pick some up, take some time to poke around your store's stock to find some that aren't messed up.

The general reports of low quality have really put me off what was previously a guaranteed purchase for me. If I'm going to buy a little figure it better look damn near perfect. ):

EDIT: I JUST SAW IT TEGAN IT TOOK ME LIKE TWO MINUTES

haha what the hell

I was over at my boss's house last night for some beer, pizza & Smash Bros. He'd purchased a few of the Amiibo, and I was actually pretty impressed with the paint job on Fox McCloud. I could see picking up a Wind Waker Link if and when they release one.

I mean, it's clearly a second right arm in place of the left one. You can see the subtle, impossible backward bend of what would be her left elbow.

Factory assembly errors are relatively common in figures with the price point Amiibos are selling at, though things as egregious as having two right arms usually don't slip through. (I've definitely seen similar things in other toy lines though.)

I will say, i'm pleasantly surprised with them. They're certainly much nicer than their equivalents in the Skylanders and Disney Infinity toy lines.

I mean, and these aren't articulated toys where there can be hard to spot issues with the joints, it's a static figure and you can totally just eyeball it in the store to check for any problems before you buy. (Look for the seams where the pieces are glued together, see that they're all aligned and attached properly, and look over the paint applications to see that they're not messy. Also look for any warping or breaks in the plastic.)

Wow that's rad. Now I want to do that. X:

Pickachu with goggles is just the best.

I want a Villager Amiibo but they're all sold out everywhere. ):

I just bought a Villager. I feel like a dumbass.

This is just going to keep happening.

They're going to multiply.

Smash Amiibo Feature: If you fight against it, it will learn from your habits and its AI will grow over time. Basically a little pet AI fighter buddy in Smash. Seen reports of people saying they kept taunting after getting a kill and then they'd see their Amiibo do the same.

So, on one level, it's incredibly pointless. But, on another level, it's super rad.

I bought the Pikachu when I was at the store getting Smash, but I have absolutely no idea what an amiibo is or how it works!

:D

That's totally alright, because Nintendo probably doesn't either! They may or may not have nebulously defined possible interactions with games that may or may not support some or all of them!

The only significant interaction as of right now is that you can train up a custom AI buddy to fight with or against you in Smash Wii U, which is saved on the figure itself. (Keep in mind, there's apparently only enough room on an NFC chip for one save*, so if you want to use that same figure in a theoretical future game that might also possibly want to save to the Amiibo, you will have to metaphorically Old Yeller your Smash Wii U AI buddy!)

(* = Presumably, interactions of the variety that merely use the Amiibo to unlock things in the game, like what Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors currently have, will not overwrite the NFC save.)

Wish they had Villager variants. She's my new favorite Smash character, but I only play the rad pink hair one. I'm thinking I'll just get a Yoshi and a Kirby.

Wish they had Villager variants. She's my new favorite Smash character, but I only play the rad pink hair one. I'm thinking I'll just get a Yoshi and a Kirby.

Wish they had VILLAGER PERIOD.

;___;

(why do i always get the worst first-post-on-new-page-posts... probably because all my posts are the worst)

So the AI used for the Amiibos in Smash 4 is pretty good, i guess.

It turns out that WaveShine is a level 50 Amiibo, which is the current level cap, that constantly adapts its playing style to outwit its opponent. If a player held back defensively, WaveShine would notice this and start firing lasers from a distance and would reflect any returning projectiles with frame perfect timing. On the other hand, if a competitor played aggressively, WaveShine would perform frame perfect rolls and spot-dodges, and would also run back in to punish any end lag from an attack you committed to with a grab or an up smash.

“It also started punishing unsafe landings and whiffed aerials with up smash, as well as unsafe hits on shield (powershield -> upsmash out of shield) which was devastating,” Daze told Siliconera. “It even learned how to wall-tech off of the stage if it was ever hit into it, in order to avoid stage-spikes and recover. It was a pretty impressive AI.”

They also get more powerful attacks and stuff so it's not exactly an even match but yeah, pretty cool

ALSO I FOUND A VILLAGER!

I'd be disappointed if the 'training' aspect of the amiibo AI was just level-gated.