Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

Holland celebrates 60 years of freedom. In other news: Neo-Nazis win German election

If Mein Kampf wasn't so boring (as I have heard) I would read it. Because there are better books - and books with a wider perspective - I will most likely read some other book instead.

You're just going to read one book?

You're just going to read one book?

I'm not so good with irony, so I'll translate for myself:

1) You think it's good Mein Kampf is banned in Germany.

2) You think I'm an idiot.

3) You hate me.

I'm not sure how those things could be inferred from my statement (except for #3, which you seem to infer from all my statements), but whatever floats your boat.

I'm not sure how those things could be inferred from my statement (except for #3, which you seem to infer from all my statements), but whatever floats your boat.

The fact is that your post doesn't mean anything unless you make those assumptions. I assumed that you must have meant something, so... Of course, the other option was that there was a grammatical mistake you just wanted to point out (I couldn't find one), but why, I couldn't figure.

And the third one was an ironic remark. (As well as the second one.)

I just found it funny that you went out of your way to justify not reading Mein Kampf, whereas there's not really any need to explain not reading any particular book unless for some reason someone is demanding why not; also that you said you will read "some other book" which implied that there is some void in your literary repertoire exactly one book in size which will most definitely not be filled by Mein Kampf but will in fact by filled by another specific book not yet determined.

My post should not be read as any kind of attack or bizarrely subtle mockery, I simply found your wording amusing and clearly failed to get that point across.

I just found it funny that you went out of your way to justify not reading Mein Kampf, whereas there's not really any need to explain not reading any particular book unless for some reason someone is demanding why not;

I just happened to mention it. Don't take it too seriously. Breathe.

I never knew such a rule existed. They really should have told us about this at school. :sombrero:

also that you said you will read "some other book" which implied that there is some void in your literary repertoire exactly one book in size

...let me assure you that it is a lot bigger.

I just happened to mention it. Don't take it too seriously. Breathe.

Well, I didn't intend to. That's the point. You seemed to want an explanation though, so as I am actively avoiding my orchestration homework I decided to go all out.

...let me assure you that it is a lot bigger.

Exactly.

Just because you specifically went out of your way to say "I will most likely read some other book instead." You could have left that out entirely and just said "I'm not planning on reading Mein Kampf" but by qualifying it the way you did (in the singular) it sounds like you're saying "instead of reading this one book, I will read another (one) book."

Why should all that matter? And I notice you said "available in stores" - it is NOT the same as "owning it". I agree that it would be strange if it was advertised in magazines, for example, but just OWNING IT, come on! The book has clear historical value.

If Mein Kampf wasn't so boring (as I have heard) I would read it. Because there are better books - and books with a wider perspective - I will most likely read some other books on this particular subject instead.

Just look at shbazjinkin's link - "Nazi symbols and gestures, including words and actions which can be interpreted as condoning Nazism, are illegal in Germany."

I know that not being able to buy a book and not being able to own a book are different, but the concept remains the same. It's not like a 17 year old having an 18 rated game, it's more important than that. Police aren't going to search your house for having that book, but if you read it in public it'll definitely be frowned upon. You may get arrested, I don't know.

The book actually has very little historical value. The only use it has is understanding what Hitler's ideas were in he 1920s. He dictated it in Britain to his secretary, Rudolf Hess, and thus it's completely contained to his ideas, and has no historical facts in it whatsoever. It's not only boring, it's also really badly written. There are numerous online versions of it so Google one down if you don't believe me.

At the end of the day it's a badly written racist peice of rubbish. 60 years ago almost every German treated it like their bible - by baning it the Germans have shown how ashamed they are at that area of history and how much they want to move on from it.

I remembered a quote from a Hollocaust survivor which I saw in the Imperial War Museum, London. I can't remember the exact wording but it was something like "we haven't learnt our lesson from the Hollocaust, because if we had, we wouldn't have some of the things we have today [like neo-Nazism]". Everything the survivors said was memorable, but that stuck in my mind especially well.

Another good one: "I still believe in God, but I don't believe that he can answer prayers anymore" (again, it's not an exact quote but you get the jist)

The only use it has is understanding what Hitler's ideas were in he 1920s.

That's what I meant.

"Nazi symbols and gestures, including words and actions which can be interpreted as condoning Nazism, are illegal in Germany."

OK, I'm sorry.

To delight you all, I won't post my own reasoning here.

Okay, well, Mein Kampf is still a bit dodgy for trying to work out Hitler's ideas, seeing as it's so badly written. A Hitler biography would be interesting though.

I saw a book called Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives in the libary once that looked good. Shame it was an inch thick!

The book actually has very little historical value.
Well, fuck you, asshole. I am sick and tired of this tirade of yours. Do books have to have historical value to be read!? That is the most fucking annoying thing you've said so far in this here thread.

Any and all books are fiction. Period.

:period:

They were written by people and therefore the historical value is as moot a point as a point was ever moot. There is no truth in books, not even the impartial histories. I read books to get an insight into the mind of the lunatic who wrote them. I consider it no more than a one-way conversation.

Fucking hell!

Actually, I said that, but to my defence I knew it was a moot point. I just wanted to give him a reason, as he was looking for one.

Well, fuck you, asshole. I am sick and tired of this tirade of yours. Do books have to have historical value to be read!? That is the most fucking annoying thing you've said so far in this here thread.

Any and all books are fiction. Period.

:period:

They were written by people and therefore the historical value is as moot a point as a point was ever moot. There is no truth in books, not even the impartial histories. I read books to get an insight into the mind of the lunatic who wrote them. I consider it no more than a one-way conversation.

Fucking hell!

Why don't you actually read what I say instead of having a period over one thing? Like deadworm said, it was a response from their post. They said that they would only read it for the historical value, I said there was little or none. I have no idea what you're going on about for the rest of your post, so I'll leave my response to that.

Oh, and Steven... why don't you just FUCK OFF?

Oh, and Steven... why don't you just FUCK OFF?
I have no time to read what is written! What do you take me for!?

I'm also interested to see what else I've said in this thread is "fucking annoying". Maybe it was that Mein Kampf is banned in Germany, which you took to mean "was banned everywhere" (judging from your comment about having it on your book-shelf).

I find your claim of Mein Kampf once being the bible of all Germans being highly suspicious. There were people who didn't care, and people who were against the nazis, too. Even Hitler's personal secretary didn't care!

a) Sorry, I couldn't be bothered to find the exact quote, but you said something along the lines of reading it for historical value, but not reading it because it's boring. Or something. Aren't you being a bit pendantic?

B) Note the use of the word "most". The majority (and we're talking a good 99%) of Germans loved Hitler unti the war started to go badly.

You've got to love the irony of you telling me off for misquoting you, and then in your next post you misquote me.

Pendantic, that's me all over.

Frankly, my dear, I just don't give a damn.

This """"discussion"""" is the most stupid one ever.