Sign in to follow this  
shindigs

This War of Mine

This War of Mine is a point and click adventure/action game where you play as a group of civilians trapped in a war-torn city who have to scavenge to survive.

During the day, you manage your shelter by crafting tools and appliances to keep your place comfortable enough to live and attend to the needs of your crew almost in a sims-esque fashion. 

At night, you send one of your party members out to different locations in the city to scavenge for goods, which introduces a stealth aspect to the game as you try to sneak around militants/terrorists and engage with other survivors.

The game places an emphasis on the emotional consequences of your actions. Murdering anyone and everyone left and right will weigh heavily on character conscious and make them depressed, and at worst commit suicide.  Combat is not the main focus of the game, but rather sneaking around to get just enough supplies to survive the next few days.  

The game does a great job at making you feel like you're just scraping by as each character can only bring back a certain number of supplies each night.  It's gained a lot of attention because of how interacting with other characters weigh on the mind of your party.  For example, I looted a house of an elderly couple who caught me just while I was escaping.  They were defenseless, and as I got home, my character got sad and depressed thinking about the incident over the next few days.

I've heard other stories of people killing a community of people taking shelter at another location, and their character committed suicide shortly after.

There are situations in which you can kill someone to save someone else in need, in which case killing someone barely weighs down your mind. 

It's worth watching some videos/streams of the gameplay - grossly put it's kind of like a DayZ point and click w/ no zombies and an emphasis on actual emotional consequences for ethnically questionable actions you perform to survive.

Gameplay trailer: 

So anyone else try this game?

It looks amazing, but I'm not really in the mood for this type of thing at the moment. It's definitely on mt watch list though.

Giant Bomb has a quick look up with Drew & Brad:

Probably too harrowing for me at the moment, but Sean's description of the game was pretty insane.

At this point, I'm worried that the emotional impact may have already been killed for me on this between Sean's recounting and a couple other accounts of it I've read.  I wish I had been able to go into completely blind. 

At this point, I'm worried that the emotional impact may have already been killed for me on this between Sean's recounting and a couple other accounts of it I've read.  I wish I had been able to go into completely blind. 

I wondered that myself, but between Sean's recount and watching Drew play the game, even 6 days in they are rapidly separating experiences.

That's good to know.  It's one thing that wasn't clear to me was just how divergent one play through would be from another. 

I had seen this before the podcast but at first I was so not interested in another depresso survival shooty stabby thing in this age of constant zombie outbreaks and post-nuclear wastelands. It wasn't until Sean explained that it doesn't have any supernatural or science fiction jibba jabba, and that it models the emotional turmoil of the characters that I became super interested.

Yeah between idle thumbs and Giant Bomb I think I had spoiled it for myself, which stinks. This game looks great. 

I've been playing it today and holy fuck is it stressful.

In my fifth salvage run with Marko, I sneaked into a house that had a bunch of people on the second floor. It also had a small backyard that connected to another part of the house. There was a gunner on the outside of the second floor where everyone was at looking over the backyard. I decided to make some noise to distract the gunner, but I didn't know the gunner had a rope ladder, and I saw the gunner climbing down the door I wanted to get through... The gunner saw me and I ran, well, Marko ran, but got shot down.... I'm now down a person and I feel incredibly ill and stressed... I just hope I can make it with Bruno and Pavle.

I had to take a break from the game a bit after that happened. Bruno and Pavle are depressed and it's going to make the rest of the game interesting. 

Fuck... Marko....

This game is kind of hard to get started with. Appears an adventure/platformer hybrid, but is actually way more complex than that and seems to have no real tutorial?

This game is kind of hard to get started with. Appears an adventure/platformer hybrid, but is actually way more complex than that and seems to have no real tutorial?

I kind of feel this is the best way to play on your first play through to kind of get the stress of managing all the needs of your party.  I felt kind of spoiled when one of my friends started feeding me some early strategies optimized to get a lot of gear to survive.  I 'enjoyed' stumbling through the game and learning things the hard way.

That being said, after about 3 sessions through I'll probably return to the game with the intent to try to maximize the survivability of my team with optimized strategies.  There are a lot of early scripted events I've seen a lot of times just because I'm too bad to make it to late game often.