Sign in to follow this  
itsamoose

Video games and Influences

Over the last few years I'm sure we've all noticed video games becoming more in twined with other media, both aesthetically and thematically.  I'd just like to provide a thread where we can discuss these trends since I couldn't find one before.  Today I found out about a new fully first-person point-of-view movie called Hardcore (indiegogo link) being funded on Indiegogo.  The trailer is basically the first level in a military FPS, grenade tutorial and all.

Trailer:

Haha, seeing this dumb video game stuff rendered in real life with practical effects actually felt kind of scary and weird. Like it's already strange that video games pacify war into this fun boyish fantasy, but now this video puts that right up front!

Maybe it's because there's a voiceless camera in the lead role instead of a big cheesy Stalone or Jason Statham framed in big cinematic camera swerves. Can't really put my finger on it!

Oh well, probably just me being a baby!

It even includes the blank silent protagonist and tutorialising. 2 of the worst things about games writing! :tup:

To be honest, I do think it's interesting to make a film that draws from the more unusual construction of how you interact with the world in games. But I can't imagine what purpose it could serve besides doubling down on action like this.

Dumb concept or not, that video is incredibly well made. I'd have to watch it again to see if there were any spots hide cuts to fake the single take after the halfway point, but I don't want to ruin the magic.

I guess I had low expectations going in if this a professional team which has already shot the entire feature length film.

It is. It's hard not to fall in love with him after District 9, for me at least, so it's always a little bitter to see him in such weird, bad projects like this, the Oldboy remake, and the shitty movie the District 9 director made after District 9. (He was also in Europa Report, which was just weird but not necessarily bad.) I hope he's just choosing roles that interest him incautiously, because I find him an incredibly charming actor, even in this.

Dunno if I'd qualify this project as bad! It looks pretty good (based on this trailer), and (seems to) have something legitimate to say, even if it's slightly uncomfortable to watch. Though I don't find it all that uncomfortable. Maybe it's years of watching Freddie Wong and Corridor Digital.

I'm wary of a feature-length version of this, though.

That was impressive and fun (I loved Copley's bad NPC jumping), and I enjoyed the music video thing they link to as well (apologies for the thumbnail, those bikini babes are only in it for about 5 seconds):

Not sure if this can sustain a feature-length, but the glimpses of sci-fi comedy and variety in scope make me a little more optimistic.

I actually love this music video because of the more practical stuff like tripping people up, or throwing a damn snooker ball at someone. I feel like this director much more celebrated the gimmick of being in first-person.

Actually maybe this is more based on a movie action scene in first person, than a Video game scene being filmed.