Jake

Idle Thumbs 184: Super Pools 'n' Ghosts

shit! 5 must have been in the hood sorry about that.

1. Leprechaun in a Farm-House

2. Leprechaun in LA

3. Leprechaun in Las Vegas (only one worth seeing)

4. Leprechaun in Space

5. Leprechaun in Compton

6. Leprechaun Back 2 Compton

7. Leprechaun In Ireland (Prequel!)

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth does not have a co-op objective, but it did have an ARG inside of it. Apparently there was a certain item in the game that you would bring to a special room and it would reveal a piece of an image. The community was supposed to assemble several images that revealed the death screens for four of the different characters. Playing as those characters in a certain order and dying in the way described by the death screen unlocks the final secret character in the game, The Lost. Unfortunately, before the community could assemble the images the method of unlocking the Lost was exposed by people hacking into the game.

More info here: http://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/2lpv6b/puzzle_pieces_spoilers/

And here: http://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/2lxx87/ed_on_the_losts_datamining_its_disheartening_ive/

By the way, The Lost is a character only for super masochists.

The Lost has no health and can never gain any type of hearts. One hit will always kill the Lost unless he has some very specific defensive items. The benefit to the Lost is that he starts with flying and can take Devil Deal items for free. Also because of how the game works with alternate end paths, you need to beat the game at least twice with The Lost to unlock everything.

For some reason, whenever I hear the squarespace ad roll "you all in one solution...", my brain always auto completes it with "...for natural male enhancement".

I think it's a combination of Rogaine and boner-pills, as I can't identify a single product reference. Some marketer would probably be very pleased to hear this.

This isn't specific to you guys, I do that with that ad on every podcast I listen to.

While Smash TV was all single screen, there was a followup, Total Carnage, which was Smash TV meets Commando/Ikari Warriors. it was mechanically the same as STV, including the same bosses with military skins. Plot synopsis:

In Total Carnage, an evil Middle Eastern dictator named General Akhboob closes off his country to the rest of the world following a war in 1999. Hundreds of reporters flocked to the zone in hopes of getting a real scoop. Unfortunately for them, one of the reporters discovers that there's more than baby milk being made at the 'Baby Milk Factory'.

Here in the UK we just called him Mario (that's Mah-rio, not Meh-rio or Maar-rio).

But when he gets a mushroom and gets big, then he's Super Mario. 

Suck it nerds  :waluigi:

I just wanted to say that Chris' laugh in response to what Jake says at 31:50 is the best thing. Jake's entire description of Knuckles' new look cracked me up completely.

In Total Carnage, an evil Middle Eastern dictator named General Akhboob closes off his country to the rest of the world following a war in 1999. Hundreds of reporters flocked to the zone in hopes of getting a real scoop. Unfortunately for them, one of the reporters discovers that there's more than baby milk being made at the 'Baby Milk Factory'.

I feel like reporters should get the idea that when a junta closes off the country to the rest of the world, that includes journalists.

Edit: this is a fun episode! It's also really hot here and I was still enjoying myself.

Although I kind of like the idea of fixing Knuckles' silhouette, I kind of miss that he looks even less like an echidna than he used to, unless it's the mythological creature.

I don't understand all the hate for Knuckles new look.

He basically has the same proportions as young Mr. Incredible.

post-23405-0-44935900-1416204222.jpgBob_young.jpg

Guys come on. Think about having to design a buff dude that still has the cartoony abstraction of sonic, who's basically a oddly shaped piece of gum with twigs and a leaf stuck in it . You'll always end up with weirdly smooth bulky dorito man when you're not allowed to individually define muscles and have to rely on torso shape.

The thing that bothers me about the design is that it takes enough elements of a buff human to be recognizeable but doesn't take the attractive, balancing bits. Like the triangle torso is usually more curved usually suddenly slopes into a 1/x shape that forms an elegant but robust neck. Instead we have a weird puffy overstuffed quesedilla lazily topped with a sphere for a head, giving the sensation of a wart or the cap of a toothpaste tube.

Honestly I think it might be better if the legs weren't twigs. His arms are way way thicker than his legs.

Has anyone seen the initial Eggman designs? It could be so much worse.

Knuckle's new design reminds me of old cartoons where characters would blow into their thumb and inflate themselves.

I also watched the Giant Bomb quick look of the game (or at least as much as I could stand).  I'm not very familiar with the Sonic universe but Knuckles is now a stereotypical dumb brute character (to the point that he has to do the thing where you use your thumb and index finger to make an L to figure out which one is the left).

(to the point that he has to do the thing where you use your thumb and index finger to make an L to figure out which one is the left).

Wow, I'd never heard of this, so I immediately tried it out. I turned my hands the wrong way, though, so my right hand told me it was the left. :(

I Am Knuckles.

I had the same reaction as Chris to the GTA V first-person video. I didn't care much for GTA V when it came out. I'm sure the game's great, but I've already been playing these games for over a decade now and it didn't seem to bring much more to the table. However I love exploring games in first person, so this adds a whole new mode to experience the game that I want to play it more than I ever did before. There are so few first person games that exist on this scale, and with a full first person body model as well. I was always going to wait for the PC port anyway so this is just cherry on top. I played first-person mods for GTA IV and Saints Row 4 and it's cool, but not the same thing as a dedicated first person mode. I hope the textures can hold up in first person.

Looks like Sonic's Little Brother.

I kinda like it.

I also watched the Giant Bomb quick look of the game (or at least as much as I could stand).  I'm not very familiar with the Sonic universe but Knuckles is now a stereotypical dumb brute character (to the point that he has to do the thing where you use your thumb and index finger to make an L to figure out which one is the left).

EkhyN9r.png

Huh. It seems like a lot of modern 3d animation has super stylized watercolor 2d concept art before being turned into the more generic 3d models. I saw similar concept art for Frozen. Off the top of my head, the first time I remember seeing that kind of thing was Pixar credits sequence art from things like Ratatouiile and The Incredibles.

Well, regardless, this design totally didn't transfer, probably due to brand inertia. I'd really like to see Sega support a really radical (RADICAL!!) change in the sonic art direction for at least one tiny, shitty game.

Instead of adding.

A scarf and calling it a day.