Sign in to follow this  
DefaultHuman

Big Hero 6

I just saw Big Hero 6 and was pretty impressed. I don't say this lightly, but Disney Animation is on the path to outpacing Pixar. They've even started leading their films lately with shorts.

I haven't read the comic it's inspired by, but have heard it's a loose, pg-style adaptation of it. Apart from some pretty on-the-nose dialogue, wince-worthy obligatory catch-phrasing, some unfortunate anachronisms (that'll strengthen the kid appeal but date the film quickly) and the occasional Dreamworks-y characterization, it was very enjoyable. Funny and epic-feeling in parts, it's a commendable superhero origin story flick.

I wouldn't place it above the better Pixar films, but it's arguably better than a couple of their recent endeavors.

This isn't coming out until next year here. Seems like that's happening a lot more again recently - I thought we'd got to the point where everything was released everywhere within a few days.

Dreamworks-y characterization

That's interesting, what do you mean by that? I haven't really attributed an identity to that studio's output, outside of 'Dreamworks Face'.

A year? That's daft. It makes some sort of skewed sense for games when they lump the uk in with the European release and want to get all of the languages ready before release.

There isn't the Dreamworks face, as much as the characterization that provokes it. Each character filling a well-defined niche, stereotypic tropes that feel too forced. The main character is likeable, but the standard underdog that can teach the experts a thing or two. I don't know how much the archetypes are based on those in the comic, though, so I couldn't say if they were forced into a mold or true to source material.

There's a lot to like, though, and it's gorgeous to look at. SF Bay Area residents will feel at home, with many familiar landmarks and neighborhoods represented in the futuristic San Fransokyo.

Big Hero 6 is not perfect by any means, has a few plot holes and some of the writing misses the mark. But man I loved the movie, the message they were trying to represent came off honest and was well represented, and the character design is super rad.

I think the opening short to this film may be the best one yet, hit me on a personal level pretty hard and expertly made. 

Is the main character in this seriously names Hiro? This is worse than when I found out the main character in "Bones" was names Dr. Bones.

Oh man, you're going to be excited when you find out the name of the main character in Snow Crash.

Oh man, you're going to be excited when you find out the name of the main character in Snow Crash.

This was soooo distracting watching BH6, as I couldn't stop thinking about Snow Crash.