Henroid

Overwatch - That time Blizzard made a non-Diablocraft game.

So I just picked this up while it was on sale and have played a few vs AI matches and one real one. I really like the feel of this. Miffy495 #1859 on B.net for those interested. I have a friend who is super into HOTS and have been playing that with her. Unlocking stuff for Overwatch while doing so was what pushed me over the edge. Pretty new to online gaming in general. HOTS, Titanfall 2, and now this are it for me. Looking to get more into this kind of thing though, and excited by the possibilities!

Hey miffy, which region do you play in? For whatever reason, Blizzard decided it was a swell idea to segregate your friend lists according to region, even though anyone is free to just swap regions to play on any of them. This thread is mostly quiet because a large majority of Overwatch chat in the thumbs community happens on the slack server.

Oh man, how about this loot box? I am pretty happy that it was in my last unlocks of the Winter promotion (got two tonight, one for winning three matches in Arcade, one for hitting level 7). I really wanted that Jingle skin, and the Riverboat McCree is one of my favourite default ones.

Best Box.jpg

Is anyone playing competitively this season? I climbed to 2783 SR and promptly fell down to 2190 SR within a matter of weeks due to bad connections, bad team mates and bad team mate's bad connections. I know for a fact that when a player blames their team mates a lot it's more than likely that player isn't in fact very good... BUT! I had some shockingly awful team mates who were going attack Bastion/Hanzo/Widowmaker/Tbjorujjuon and the like. Anywho, I managed to climb back to 2650 SR with the help of a good friend! How's everyone else's experience been this summer? 

I've mainly been playing Soldier mainly because he's pretty easy to play, but I'm not opposed to DVA or Lucio if the team needs it. Although I'm not sure which tank I'll play once/if DVA gets nerfed. What have you guys been playing? 

I have only played 4 competetive games this season. Fun so far, I have only played in groups though. I hear a lot of complaints about the ratings and games being very unstable this season, from players from all levels. Seems the matchmaking system is a bit wacky currently. 

I mostly play Zenyatta, Ana, Mercy, Zarya, Mei and Soldier. 

I have, seems pretty broken esp if you try and solo que. I main Junk, but in competitive matches tend to jump on whatever's needed. Winston as Tank, and play all sups apart from mercy, solly if we need to deal with Pharah etc. Also play Torbs on certain payload maps in defense. It feels like the community has gotten quite toxic quite fast. Especially in comp where it often starts right at the character select stage....Too many people watching pros play, or streamers, then shouting if anyone is playing anything that they dont feel is in the meta, without an actual understanding of why certain match ups work, and that often tight coordination is needed for it to pay off. Not just PLAY TRIPLE TANK. 

Yeah, I've seen that a lot even on console when people can't/don't communicate via mics. People will often punch a Sombra or a healer who isn't Ana because they want an Ana. But like you said they have no idea why the triple tank works. I'm pretty happy to give anyone a chance as long as they're not playing attack defensive characters or they pick a 4th DPS when we're already on a stupid 1 healer/3DPS/1 tank composition. I've been pretty surprised by some pretty sick Winstons and Sombras. 

I just realised I wrote "how's everyone else's experience been this summer?" What the fuck? I'm not Australian... I live in Europe. Why in the world did I write that? 

It's a common problem in LOMA-like games that people have a very hard time evaluating their own performance and their own contribution to the victory/defeat, evaluating your team mates is even harder. Overwatch tries to solve this with the medal and play of the game system somewhat, but I am not sure how successful it is and sometimes I think it does more harm than good. Heroes of the Storm has those things at the end of the game where it compares you to other players in your skill bracket, and I kind of like it, but it is hard to take anything concrete away from it. 

I think the cards at the end of the game can be really harmful to the game. For example if a person plays attack Bastion in a diamond level game on Volskya Industries map over a course of 4 rounds they'll probably get gold eliminations. However, as everyone here knows eliminations could count as like a stray bullet hitting someone. So that player thinks they made a meaningful contribution when they could play an actually decent character like Tracer, Reaper, Soldier, Pharah or ANYTHING ELSE APART FROM ATTACK BASTION. 

Sorry for the caps but that actually happened to me. Along with atack Symettra and Tjobornobnrobnrobn yesterday too. It always happens against teams that should have been a free win too. I think people watch YouTube videos, or it just happens to work one game, they get golden kills and think they made a genuine contribution. You have to be INSANELY good for it to work and these people aren't even above average. 

I personally think Bastion is shit even on defense. He's so immobile. Once a team makes a push passed his position he's useless for about 5 seconds and you can't afford that. If you focus him in any vague manner he instantly dies. A discord orb + helix rockets = dead Bastion. 

I don't think the cards are harmful - in fact, I think they fall in line with the stated goals of making the game seem friendly to people and their contributions vs. kill/death ratios. Most of the frustrations you have with Bastion might also be tackled by the upcoming Bastion rework as well. 

You're probably right Apple. I was just being a grumpy man because I had lost a bunch so close to being in diamond. I managed to get into Diamond eventually and I had to take a sabatical from Overwatch competitive for a while because I hadn't been so addicted to a game since maybe WoW in my teens. I would dream about it and be bummed out when my SR went down. 

One thing they do need to sort out is when a team mate leaves. I don't see why I should play 2 rounds of control point and be clearly going to win and then have to suffer a loss when a team mate DCs or just leaves. I think your team shouldn't suffer any loss whatsoever or half the normal amount and the other team should just get a win. I realise friends could exploit this somehow by giving their friends easy outs if things aren't going so well, but there's got to be a better answer than "U LOSE". 

That was fairly amazing. What do people think of the new hero? I think she looks cool! I initially thought it was kind of dull that she has 3 moves which are similar to other characters, but I guess it's a way of making other characters not instapicks like Rein for example. Although I was just learning how to play Rein... Oh well

I haven't played on the test-server, but I'm excited about a Reinhart-esque character who is designed to encourage the team to coagulate a bit.

Also, being able to have Rein-like blocking, but still being able to attack is nice. I imagine those shields aren't going to last long though.

I got into Diamond again last night! After a draw (which should've really been a win) and a massacre on Volyskaya Industries I was 5 points from Diamond and I thought it wouldn't happen, but for some reason I was put with a competent team and we rocked it. I finally bought a golden gun with last season's points after much agonizing over what to do. I went with Soldier as he's probably my best DPS character and certainly one of my favourites despite being pretty plain.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't release Orisa in the off season or right at the beginning of the season to give players time to adjust. Although, I'm sure competitive would be rammed full of people not having any clue how to play her just like a certain MachineGunBot has been showing up a lot lately. She's also already been "nerfed" a bit on the PTR by having her clip size reduced and something else I can't be bothered to look up.

is anyone still playing Overwatch?  I played the beta, pre-ordered and then bailed soon after. But I'm playing it now and really really loving it. 

I'm not good yet. But I'd love to talk strategy and maybe play some rounds with anyone interested in helping me out.

Yep. Quite a few of us play. It is the only game I really play these days. It is a very good game. 

I was playing a lot of it until Zelda happened. Will probably go back sooner or later.