Henroid

Overwatch - That time Blizzard made a non-Diablocraft game.

I'm getting better at switching, but there are still certain combinations I have no clue how to beat, such as a Bastion, Turret, and a Rinehart crammed into the corner of a control point. You can't snipe them, you can get above or behind them with Farah or Tracer. *shrug* A lot of our losses come to people with two Bastions, two Torbjorn, a Rinehart, and a healer.

Hanzo's ultimate?

It is so frustrating when you can't find a good game. Haven't had any good games this weekend, the people I'm playing with just don't understand the basics of the games or characters despite being level 20. I'm talking about leaving the starting area with a guy swinging Reindhart's hammer at enemies 20 metres away bad. Gets annoying when I just want a fun match.

Also got accused of trolling for playing Pharah indoors(it was in one of the buildings with high catwalks on the edges), it's hilarious when people desperately try to pin the blame on losing to just one person.

ok despite my reticence about competitive only shooters, I succumbed to peer pressure and bought in (dc_juv3nal on ps4 if anyone else is playing on there). Haven't tried out every character but of the ones I've tried, strongly preferring Tracer and Lucio for footspeed.

ok despite my reticence about competitive only shooters, I succumbed to peer pressure and bought in (dc_juv3nal on ps4 if anyone else is playing on there). Haven't tried out every character but of the ones I've tried, strongly preferring Tracer and Lucio for footspeed.

If you love mobility, give Genji a go. He can run up walls like his brother Hanzo, but additionally he can also double jump, and has a dashing strike you can do on the ground or in the air. Insane levels of mobility on one character, rivaled only by Pharah or D.Va, who can essentially fly.

Yeah I tried out pharah's flying and the cooldown on the jump feels too long and the floating/hover feels like it makes you too easy a target; I prefer just raw ground speed. Genji's one of the ones I haven't tried yet though.

I really wish this game had a demo. Like an idiot I didn't play the open beta and now that everyone's talking about how awesome it is I feel like I'm missing out, but I don't want to drop a phat load of cash just to end up with a game I'm not a huge fan of. Blizzard seems like they eventually get around to making demos of all their games, or at least most of them, but I wish they'd hurry up and do it right now!

For what it's worth, when I watched gameplay videos it looked way too fast. When I play it feels like a managable speed (with the exception of playing Genji and Tracer). I don't know if you'd like the game, but that was one personal misrepresentation I had based on watching videos.

I really wish this game had a demo. Like an idiot I didn't play the open beta and now that everyone's talking about how awesome it is I feel like I'm missing out, but I don't want to drop a phat load of cash just to end up with a game I'm not a huge fan of. Blizzard seems like they eventually get around to making demos of all their games, or at least most of them, but I wish they'd hurry up and do it right now!

Worth noting that it's only $40 if you don't care about skins and unlockable items in other Blizzard games. They try really hard to push the $60 edition though.

Worth noting that it's only $40 if you don't care about skins and unlockable items in other Blizzard games. They try really hard to push the $60 edition though.

Yeah, I knew that, but $40 is still $40, ya know?

I'm not worried about it being too fast, mostly what I'm worried about is whether the game's just shit if I don't get a good team. Team Fortress 2, before it turned into an insane wacky hat thing, was fun even when it was a shitshow because one person could still do some neat stuff, and more importantly the game was hilarious and gorgeous. Overwatch looks fine but it's not exactly an animated J. C. Leyendecker illustration, and it doesn't strike me as hilarious either, so I'd have to be playing just for the competition. The game seems so team-focused that there might be a limit to how much fun I can have if the matchmaking algorithms aren't neato. If I'm a Reinhardt or whoever holding a shield and the rest of my team can't shoot, that's not gonna be fun, you know? Compared to something like BF4 where I can pretty much run around killing people no matter what else is going on.

It's pretty hilarious imo.  Playing a tank character is not putting someone in a box. There are offensive and defensive tanks. D.Va is probably at her best when she's sniper hunting, which is an unorthodox approach to tankery.

https://imgur.com/ZlGXADy

Tycho: The game at least tries to encourage sensible team composition by displaying messages like "No offence heroes" and "Too many snipers". And in my experience, once you have played for a bit and get matched with more seasoned folk, the players are quite good at following those guidelines, though, not always of course. You'll still encounter scenarios where your character selection is not effective or fun due to the way other people play (e.g. when you have an area of effect healer and everyone is spread out) but you can always switch characters mid-game.

It is definitely more fun to play with friends, but I also don't mind playing with random people, which is good because I play very irregularly and therefore it is hard for me to arrange team time.

(e.g. when you have an area of effect healer and everyone is spread out)

As someone who has not been playing a whole hell of a lot but has spent most of that time as Lucio, I can say this has never really happened to a degree that I felt compelled to switch out.

edit: oh as for team composition, if you get yourself comfortable with at least one character from a few different roles, you can just defer your character selection until the last second to see which would help balance the team more.

Yeah, that has happened maybe only once or twice for me as Lucio, so it was not the best example. Needless to say, we lost those matches.

you can very easily have a team composition that covers all the suggestions the character select screen throws out and still have a group of characters 100% unable to win the map and matchup. It's just part of the game.

I have a LOT of trouble trying to get people organized for the second push on Hanamura. Everyone splits up, and when they have two snipers and 2 turrets you just can't do shit. It doesn't matter what support I pick I'm fucked every way to sunday. I don't know how to reliably build a strategy, so I'm just frustrated because it's frustrating.

Yeah, I knew that, but $40 is still $40, ya know?

I'm not worried about it being too fast, mostly what I'm worried about is whether the game's just shit if I don't get a good team. Team Fortress 2, before it turned into an insane wacky hat thing, was fun even when it was a shitshow because one person could still do some neat stuff, and more importantly the game was hilarious and gorgeous. Overwatch looks fine but it's not exactly an animated J. C. Leyendecker illustration, and it doesn't strike me as hilarious either, so I'd have to be playing just for the competition. The game seems so team-focused that there might be a limit to how much fun I can have if the matchmaking algorithms aren't neato. If I'm a Reinhardt or whoever holding a shield and the rest of my team can't shoot, that's not gonna be fun, you know? Compared to something like BF4 where I can pretty much run around killing people no matter what else is going on.

This is really close to hire I feel about the game. It's definitely not as sharp as tf2 in terms of writing, and you really need to have a somewhat competent team to have a good time, or have both teams be equally incompetent. They still solved the "no one ever wNts to play support" thing either so when I'm not playing with friends that's usually what I have to play in hopes that the team will follow my lead and stick with the tank.

It's very frustrating to play solo most of the time. It's fun with a decent team but the matchmaking seems iffy. About 25% of the time it's just a huge stomp one way or the other.

Playing with a group is so good.

Dinosaurs MVP Man of the Match for our Thumbs squad tonight. I wish I had been recording it live.

I just played a game where the defending team on Numbani all played as Mei. It was hilarious. They won. Not everyone was happy though.

I'm looking forward to a ranked-mode so that people that take the game seriously don't have to play with casuals like myself.

I'm not sure if the last sentence is supposed to relate to the first, but I watched some pro tournament where a team tried an all Winston strategy and another one where a team tried an all Tracer strategy.

I might just be a grumpy online gamer, but I get really annoyed when I join a game and someone says "HEY LETS ALL PLAY THE SAME HERO" because I know that 90% of people who suggest that aren't good enough to actually play that character well and just think five Hanzos would be really funny.

I'm not sure if the last sentence is supposed to relate to the first, but I watched some pro tournament where a team tried an all Winston strategy and another one where a team tried an all Tracer strategy.

Yeah, it's a legit strategy in some situations which is pretty amusing.

Here's a video of the match against the army of Mei's. Sorry that the sound is low, I didn't know I would want to record before the match started so I didn't set the levels correctly.