Henroid

Overwatch - That time Blizzard made a non-Diablocraft game.

I have a question:

If I didn't like TF2, is it likely that I won't care for Overwatch also?

I have a question:

If I didn't like TF2, is it likely that I won't care for Overwatch also?

Why didn't you like TF2? They're not the same game though there's a lot taken from TF2 in it.

I think it depends on what you didn't like about TF2. The game is very similar at its core, so if you didn't like the whole format of a class-based FPS with objective-based maps then you probably won't like Overwatch either. But if it's something more peripheral, then maybe you will.

I tried really hard to like TF2, but I just didn't enjoy the shooting mechanics. None of the classes clicked with me. I ended up playing the spy most of the time because he eschews the shooting entirely, for a completely different deception mechanic.

I also didn't enjoy playing alone, I only really had fun when I was playing with friends. Mainly because I didn't like the shooting mechanics. I'll happily play other multiplayer games alone if I like them enough.

I watched a Q&A video yesterday where they said they will be adding a 'clan' system at some point. So we can all be part of the idle thumbs clan and it'll be a lot easier to jump into games with each other.

You get 20% more xp if you are playing with a friend :tup: gotta get those sweet spray tags

The alternate skins for all the characters in this game are so well designed, I think unlocking those will be something that'll keep me playing. Coming off the back of street fighter 4 and 5 where 9/10 of the costumes are complete ass, it's a breath of fresh air

I tried really hard to like TF2, but I just didn't enjoy the shooting mechanics. None of the classes clicked with me. I ended up playing the spy most of the time because he eschews the shooting entirely, for a completely different deception mechanic.

I also didn't enjoy playing alone, I only really had fun when I was playing with friends. Mainly because I didn't like the shooting mechanics. I'll happily play other multiplayer games alone if I like them enough.

You might find some of the classes that are less shooting-focused fun; and there are a few classes whose primary focus is to support the team in other ways too. Sadly there's no real equivalent of the Spy though (he was my favourite class in TF2 as well, mainly stemming from the same reason).

@Griddlelol

I'm coming from a similar place and I really like Overwatch. I've tried to get into TF2, but I end up just trying all the classes and leaving after a little while. The two games share a lot; the influences of all the TF2 classes and modes are completely apparent, but there are significant changes in Overwatch that help me get into it. The most obvious difference is that there are 21 characters who all have cooldown abilities and an ultimate ability that doesn't reset its charge unless you change characters or use it. So what happens for me is that I try a character out, do poorly, decide to use another but then see that I have 75% charge so I want to see what that does, I use it when it is at full charge and then sometimes I end up changing characters and other times I don't. I would say that if you like the idea of a Team Fortress 2 clone made with contemporary levels of fidelity, and that you would enjoy figuring out what all the abilities of 21 characters can be used for, then you will likely enjoy Overwatch. If losing 6-minute matches due to a lack of team-cohesion pisses you off, then you might not enjoy the game though. I've only played with randoms and I've had a great time in both support roles and as damage-dealers. The key for me is that I think every one of the characters are fun to play. Some take longer to figure out; I just watched a guide on Zarya last night and now that I understand that you basically want to shield yourself and teammates until the number on your reticule goes up before jumping into the fray, I like her a lot.

I don't really mind losing matches, as long as I can personally do well.

I should have tried the beta, but had no access to anything that could play it while it was running. It sounds like my problems with TF2 aren't in Overwatch, and the number of people who are in love with the game has me really curious.

Shame about that 70€ price point for PS4 though.

Te release of Overwatch feels more like a relief from an obsession rather than the beginning of one for me. I don't feel a yearning to play at all hours, I just really like being able to pop in for a match or three when I don't feel particularly enthusiastic about doing something that requires a lot of thinking.

wow 70 euro? shit

ummm maybe that's the price of the collector's edition? I know that they put that face first on all the blizzard store fronts at least.

It's probably the "special edition", whatever name they give to it. They put the middle range option in front of everyone and make you choose off to the Just The Game version or the collector's.

Yup, 70€ or £55. 

There's only the "special edition" available on consoles. Can't spot a single other options.

Yeah it's mega expensive. The way i justified it is in knowing all future content updates will be free and that i assume Blizzard will support it for a long time, and not go and make Overwatch 2 next year.

And with all that, i'm assuming there's not going to be any deep discounts for a long time... Unless it bombed pretty hard on consoles. I'm sure it hasn't

The last stalwarts in my usual group of friends crumbled and bought it, so I decided to purchase and download it overnight. I figure $40 for the PC version isn't bad, and I've spent far more on things that I've gotten next-to-no use of in the past. We'll see how it goes tonight.

Pro tip: Symmetra's ball of energy goes right through Reinhardt's shield and Reinhardt often fails to notice that this is happening.

Pro tip: Symmetra's ball of energy goes right through Reinhardt's shield and Reinhardt often fails to notice that this is happening.

Most energy weapons go right through it

I got it yesterday. My friends need to get it ASAP playing with randoms sure is tough 

I didn't know that. I'm going to try using Zarya as a Reinhardt-counter.

Man every hero in this game is so good. Tried out teleport lady: amazing, got play of the game. Just tried out orb bot, again awesome. Only Hero's that are off limits to me are the highly guys that need high accuracy like the cowboy and archer

I just found out last I played that right-clicking with McCree unloads the rest of his ammunitions at any target you can aim at. Which is usually that poor fellow you just stunned with his short-distance flashbomb thingie. If you can't aim with the cowboy, you can get by just fine using the side routes and flank targets for a stun and unload.

I also just learned that everyone can headshot in this game. Had to google to find out how much dmg those did. In fact, I had to google to find out how much dmg anything did. I'd really like it if Blizzard had an info dump somewhere on battle.net like many of their other games (unless I completely missed those from in-game).

I didn't know that. I'm going to try using Zarya as a Reinhardt-counter.

I'm pretty sure her grenades don't go through but primary fire does, winston's arc goes through too. Not energy but bastion absolutely tears his shield down when in turret mode.

also just learned that everyone can headshot in this game. Had to google to find out how much dmg those did. In fact, I had to google to find out how much dmg anything did. I'd really like it if Blizzard had an info dump somewhere on battle.net like many of their other games (unless I completely missed those from in-game).

I'd settle for them adding cooldown timers to ability descriptions.

Praise the Diggle Gods!