Sign in to follow this  
Twig

Necropolis

The art IS nice! but i have to say, returns was a bit meh for me. Heard the expansion fixed a lot though, so maybe this game will be great from the get go.

I loved SRR, but I'd never played a SR game before, and am not all that experienced with tactics games. That said, the expansion was definitely an improvement in nearly every way. Or maybe just literally every way!

I loved SRR (especially the expansions) and Harebrained Schemes is a local company, so I'm in on this for sure.

The visual style on a lot of these indy games lately is getting super impressive and extremely intimidating. Long are the days when good pixel art used to cut it.

Granted these guys are a bit more established and a studio.

Shadowrun Returns looked okay, but I never did end up finishing, I found the game a bit clunky and I wanted more of an RPG element out of it.. though I recall someone said they may have gone with that in an expansion? I dunno.

Cool style, cool name.

Yes, the expansion was much better in that regard.

Yesssssssss I had no idea it was coming out so soon. So much is coming out in the next couple months. I'm going to be swamped and then I'll forget about everything. D:

This is a game, I'm not sure how I feel about it. First impressions are fairly negative, but I want to play it some more before I commit. 

It feels like an early access game. Honestly I would have returned it if it had been made by someone else but I feel okay with just giving Harebrained Schemes the money so I figure I'll see where it goes from here.

Played it for a few hours, and it's okay so far. Combat is definitely Souls-inspired, if not quite as snappy. It also seems to be going for a more classic roguelike pacing - there are only 10 floors, but it's taken me multiple hours to get to level 5. One thing I wasn't aware of is that there is co-op. It seems like the sort of game that might be much more fun to jump into with a few friends and just screw around while playing.

It feels like an early access game. Honestly I would have returned it if it had been made by someone else but I feel okay with just giving Harebrained Schemes the money so I figure I'll see where it goes from here.

I think that's where I'm at. The main complaint I've seen in reviews is that the game gives you very little information about what everything does, deciding to make jokes rather than clarify anything. That really bothers me, but is also a problem that can be somewhat solved by a wiki if the game gets enough people playing it to get one created.

Edit: Also, $30 is pretty expensive for what I feel like I'm getting here.

Bummer. ):

Maybe it'll keep getting updated (roguelikelikes often do!) and be better down the line. I still intend to buy it and give it a shot, myself, but not yet. Mostly because I have other games to play!

I really like this game. The breadth of content is not something you would expect to find in, say, Diablo or Dark Souls, but it does have mechanical depth. It doesn't explain all of its content - instead it says, "try this and see what happens." Fans of Spelunky might find a lot to love here, as will fans of Ron Gilbert-esque humor.

I really like this game. The breadth of content is not something you would expect to find in, say, Diablo or Dark Souls, but it does have mechanical depth. It doesn't explain all of its content - instead it says, "try this and see what happens." Fans of Spelunky might find a lot to love here, as will fans of Ron Gilbert-esque humor.

My experience so far is that nothing happens?

The main complaint I've seen in reviews is that the game gives you very little information about what everything does, deciding to make jokes rather than clarify anything. That really bothers me, but is also a problem that can be somewhat solved by a wiki if the game gets enough people playing it to get one created.

That sounds like it is shifting the goalposts on the expectations for a roguelike (probably because roguelike-likes have been more popular recently?). For instance, Nethack and its ilk randomly shuffled up what items did on each play such that faq/wiki-ing what items did wouldn't even be possible.

True, but once you've had a potion once, you know what it does at least for the rest of that play through. 

Edit: In the end, I'm complaining after two attempts at the dungeon. I'll probably be able to articulate my feelings better after I co-op some and get deeper in.

Update today added better descriptions and more varied areas. Also changed RNG on monster and item generation so good things can pop up earlier in the game.

I died at level 6 to some giant fly looking thing with a staff and a sword. Got some sweet new tunic colors though.

Gotta say, I wish the levels were a little shorter. Running through the swamp becomes tedious pretty quickly.