Sign in to follow this  
FluxW

Dog Mendonça and Pizzaboy: a new LucasArts-ish adventure

Yeah it's weird, it's like I've been conditioned to expect voice over. When I started up Hyrule Warriors, I felt with this kind of fidelity the cutscenes were starting to look ridiculous without voice over.

Lack of voice over works well when it's within the confines of a UI with text, like the MGS Codecs or something (even though those are voiced I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't voice them), but since cutscenes in games are straight up animation, and gorgeous adventure games like this are renowned for their animation, it can get a bit awkward.

I'm glad it made it's goal, hopefully I will have money to buy it when it comes out.

It was released last week for backers. Has anyone played it yet? I'm a few hours in and enjoying it so far. It has some general non-english indie game issues with translation and voice acting, but overall the art work is imaginative and the gameplay is a lot of fun.

I played it for an hour or two. The animation can be kinda rough but the artwork itself is great. I agree with what Vader said about the English/VO work, but the characters and setting seem neat so it's not a dealbreaker. Gameplay has been standard adventure game fare with no groanworthy puzzles (yet).

So the game did still get voice acting in the end even though that was some stretch goal that they didn't reach?

Say for something like this, what if they decided to have less sound design that would save them 5k? It certainly wouldn't make it any less of a game if it did, it just isn't ideal, yet, they would make their kickstarter if they set out to do that.

I think Kickstarter's willingness to just let a project die on the vine speaks well of them. In a business model where they don't get a cut unless the project gets funded, there's the inherent conflict of interest in that there is incentive for kickstarter to have projects funded even if the project ends up disappointing in some way. If you ask them to make a call about where to draw the line as to when a project is "close enough" to being funded, that only exacerbates the potential conflict of interest (it is not 100% gone because in theory kickstarter could have an employee kick in the last few dollars if it turns out they'd still turn a profit). The way things stand feels much cleaner to me from a "is kickstarter potentially doing something hella sketcha or no" standpoint. To be clear: I'm not saying they have done or have the propensity to do anything sketchy in the future, but the inherent potential of that happening is always there.

edit: haha this is me realizing i am an idiot and replying to a year old comment because I thought I was on the last page.

Hey just finished the game. It was a lot of fun! It struck me as a little rough at the beginning (or a little "ruff" as Dog might say), but it really grew on me. A very enjoyable LucasArts style game with beautiful artwork.

If you are interested in playing it and don't own it already, I have an extra steam code. First to respond gets it.

I will gladly own an adventure game (assuming the offer stands).

On second thought, although the game looks very pretty and invokes a strong MI3 nostalgia in me, I don't know when I'll actually get around to playing it. So the code should probably go to someone who actually, definitely will.

Any other takers? If not I'll probably just send it to dium.