Twig

Online Tabletop Role-Playing Extravaganza

sorry, was replying to the stuff on the previous page. Just meant to touch base that I had read all the stuff and was fine with times and prep and whatnot

OK, rad. It sounds like everyone but Andre is good for the Sunday group. Maybe he could join late after the dumb ol' Super Bowl ends; if not I'll catch him up later.

Everyone else is clear that next Sunday conflicts with the Super Bowl, right?

I'm good with Saturday, and I'll be reading the appropriate materials at some point this week. Possibly tonight!!!

I'm kind of worried I won't have a good idea for a character but I guess we'll see once I've read the stuff, haha.

The Lore of WoD games usually consist of "this is the crazy thing in the world, this is what happens when a normal person discovers it, and this is how the world changes after". 

typically starting with a normal person and working forward works. 

alternately, think of a character in a movie and work backwards. I think a lot of the game is designed anticipating this method in mind. I'm fairly certain there is a specific Skill (or Merit?) for "Catching things thrown at you" so you can make Jack Burton. 

Jack-Burton.jpg

I guarantee you'll have an idea for a character as you read the book. That's probably the greatest strength of this system - they dangle just enough information in front of you to ensure you think of something on your own.

Since the book stuff's now on the previous page, here it is again:

All right, here are the books we'll be using: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B57oGcIkk9hjMXhHWHppTFp4VzA

So, please tell me who are when you request access because, I know I'm being paranoid, but I want to limit my sharing of copyrighted materials to just people playing the game. (Are you Jacob, Vulpes?)

You'll want to download the core book of the class you'll be playing (Hunter, Mage, or Changeling). Start reading it. You can skim flavor text, but typically you want to read all of the Introduction, and chapters one (setting and lore), two (character creation), and three (systems). You needn't bother with the rest on your own, we'll go over it if necessary. You should also all download the main core book, World of Darkness, just to have for reference, but you don't have to read it at this point either.

Don't worry about making your character yourself or writing out your own character sheet. I have my own editable PDFs which we'll eventually use and I like to be very involved in character creation, which can be an hours long process with me as I use it to really probe for story ideas and details of the character. In this case, I'm heavily considering streaming the process - particularly as, since it's exclusively a group game, it would make sense to conceptualize all of your characters as having known one another previously. I.e., come up with a concept (the books are wonderful at inspiring your own take on their themes), but don't worry about nailing down anything concrete as concerns your history just yet, since it will be most convenient for all factors to coordinate your character with two or three others rather than having you all meet in the tavern on night one.

I believe someone still hasn't requested access to the books?

Would we all be cool moving this up to the weekend following next (Saturday 13/Sunday 14) to avoid the Super Bowl and XCOM 2 launch? It'd give everyone more time to read. Would anyone be busy that particular weekend?

Hey so I realized that I am commited to something this saturday after all, got the dates mixed up because I'm a responsible adult who can manage time. 

But it seems like we're pushing this to next weekend anyway? 

ok by me

I can't think of a more romantic way to spend Valentines Day ;) 

Again, is there still anyone who hasn't gotten access for and downloaded either the Hunter or Mage book to read and the core World of Darkness book for reference?

Ah, OK, I didn't know.

Don't worry about what version you have right now, but just to note I'm replacing the World of Darkness core book (first edition) with the Chronicles of Darkness core book (second edition), whose rules I'll be incorporating. Mage hasn't been specifically revised yet, but Hunter's had an addendum released - Mortal Remains, which mostly addresses other games in the line but also updates Hunter to second edition rules. That's uploaded now as well. I'll cover all of this during character creation to make sure we're all on the same page.

Haven't updated you recently so I figured I'd let you know that I did download the books and have started reading!

It's... a bit slow because I hate reading on my computer. But I'll binge it tomorrow night so I'm ready for Saturday. :D

I had been reading the standard core rulebook, not realizing that Chronicles of Darkness is the one we'll be using. OH WELL. Time to brew a cup of coffee and huddle up in front of the fireplace. :D

hate to be a flake-o-matic but the laptop that had the in built webcam i was gonna use is no longer functioning as intended (turning on).

It's been on and off the fritz for a while so I probably shoulda expected this but yeah I'm gonna be cam-less for at least this session. Should I just join up next week if possible, or go faceless, or what?

Boooooo.

Tomorrow's session is unmissable, so go camless if you have to. Try using your phone camera?

Replace it as soon as possible. If it's going to be more than another week tell me now.

Ah, well, OK, let's just say you're out for now and you can join as a latecomer when you do get things working. There may or may not be a contingent of such people growing. (Lansbury, perhaps? Plus I had a Twitch chatter seem to be making a character for himself as we went yesterday without any provocation from me.)

P.S. Can we take all communication about this game to https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/10702-chronicles-of-darkness-at-both-ends/

Nah, don't be. I'm sorry it has to be like this and I just offer the game entirely altruistically without tying it to my Twitch and therefore requiring cameras.