Twig

Online Tabletop Role-Playing Extravaganza

It looks like we've got, at most, three people, which I don't think is enough to run a game at this rate.

Yeah, ah well, thanks anyway Merus!

Can we talk shop in this thread? 

I'm one session away from finishing my first campaign and I am super excited to take a break from being a DM. All of my players are new to tabletop RPGs (having them break their teeth on DnD 5e) so I can actually going to have them each go through at least one session and DM to see how it feels being on the other side of the table, it should be interesting! 

Last session I did mess up though, the party confronted the BBEG. The barbarian had used his invisibility potion he had found to sneak into the room with the party (the scene kicked off with some dialogue), eventually the barbarian was revealed and battle kicked off. Unfortunately the barbarian killed the BBEG in one hit with a crit. I was super torn because it felt a little anti-climatic, but I also did want to reward the barbarian for his creativity. 

During the fight the room was set on fire so there was a bit of pressure to get out of there, but one of the party also triggered a trap that collapsed the ceiling so none of the party actually saw the BBEG die. 

Would it be too cheesy to have him come back next session? Obviously I would have to sell it with my RP, but it feels a little bad killing the person they have been searching for the last 9 months in one hit. I should have fudged the HP numbers, but I was a little bit flustered and made a bad call, hah. 

Hmm. So it's 4 AM and I may regret this later, but who would be down to join me this early evening for a game or two of Sundered Land? For those who don't know, The Sundered Land is a set of collaborative story telling mini-games set in a post-apocalyptic future. Low on dice-rolling, high on imagination. Each mini game lasts from 20-60 minutes so you don't have to worry about a big time investment.

Hoping to start around 4-5pm PST. Looking for anywhere between 1 and 3 people. We can use Skype, G-Chat, Discord, or Roll20. PM your interest and preferred VOIP service; I'll be vigilant about checking and responding. If today is too soon, mention that you'd be willing to do one on Friday.

I'd like to float something out here in extremely early form to see if anyone would be interested.

As I've mentioned before (ad nauseam if you're a regular in the Slack chat), I've been streaming regularly on Twitch for a couple of months now and I've recently struck up the idea to do a tabletop game there as well.

I have experience running Classic World of Darkness and would like to try either the rebooted Vampire in that system or New WOD, which I'd planned to run for a long time but never did. I've also played and run a bit of an obscure Final Fantasy system that's pretty simple to pick up, if that interests anyone.

Scheduling has always been a nightmare for any game in which I've been involved, so I'd be really keen on a Twitch game that specifically only plays in group sessions (since as Storyteller/DM I veer toward solo/double sessions) and only once a week: for example, Sundays at six to midnight, Pacific time?

Is anyone tickled by this idea? I'm a bit tickled. The only catch is that everyone involved needs a webcam to make it more vibrant on Twitch (and subsequent YouTube highlights). Not that many people need to say yes, either. I've got a couple of corners to pull from, and only need (and can bear) four regulars. Anyone else who's interested can easily pop into the story as a special guest star - again, as long as you've got a camera.

Please, let me know!

Edit: If you haven't got a camera, maybe we could even get by with a really nice custom made character portrait ???

Quick update based on the interest being shown: Looks like it will definitely be New World of Darkness (which, I've discovered, has been rebranded Chronicles of Darkness). Learn more about it here. So far everyone seems intimidated by six hours a week, which surprises me since I thought that would be too few - so we'll definitely scale that back to just three or four. Hit me up for any Chronicles of Darkness books based on which game lines interest you, but please bear in mind that limiting this to Vampires, Mages, Hunters if we do a second group, and maybe Changelings, because I adore them, will make this astoundingly, unspeakably, easier for me. Please only pick another if your heart is truly set on it. I promise there's a lot of diversity in the single games.

If there are really enough people, I may end up doing two separate groups of three in the same game (i.e., Sunday Night Monsters, Monday Night Hunters), because the thought of giving players conflicting objectives has always intoxicated me.

There's a lot to like about this idea. 

PST

World of Darkness

I don't have to run it

Low commitment

I'm in

So I believe my four definites are:

1. Andre (friend and prior tabletop alumnus)

2. Lunnaku (fellow streamer)

3. Reyturner

4. Wooben

If anyone else is interested (Twig? Wasn't clear on where you stood.) I'll open up a second group of Hunters on a different night. Would either Reyturner or Wooben prefer to be a Hunter rather than a Vampire or Mage, right now?

Additionally, definites, gives me your best free times. Four hour blocks (even if we end up only going for three), any day of the week.

8pm - whenever Friday 

8pm - whenever Saturday 

8pm - 12am Sunday 

I'm happy doing either a Mage or a Hunter. Slot me into which ever makes the most people happy. 

Hmm. I've never been that interested in the darkness games but I'd be willing to give it a go on a Saturday or Sunday. Depending on how many books I'd have to buy.

Also I'm a tad disappointed that no one picked the game where you can be a Moogle. I mean, come on: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/4/47/FF12_-_Moogle_Model.png/revision/latest?cb=20130628214851

Just learned about this via the Slack group, and I'm upset I didn't discover it earlier. 

I'm another Euro thumb, and I'm down like a clown. Most evenings after 20:00 GMT or anytime during the weekens should be good with me. 

I've mostly played D&D and I have the 5th edition books. But I'm down for anything. Would be fun to try something new. 

All right, so, am I now missing any Thumbs who want to join?

1. Reyturner

2. Twig

3. Vulpes

4. Wooben

5. Fingus

You latter two that are not in North America, we'll have to do a specific test video chat soon just so I can see your webcam quality is OK for streaming.

Schedule-wise, there will be two groups:

Hunters: Saturdays, 12PM - 4PM Pacific (9PM - 1AM Norway, 7AM - 11AM Sydney)

Vampires and Mages: Sundays, 8PM - 12AM Pacific (5AM - 9AM Norway, 3PM - 7PM Sydney)

Please post here which you'd prefer in terms of time and in terms of role (again, if you want to play something besides Vampire, Mage, or Hunter, talk to me, but restricting it to these three will get the game going much quicker).

At some point soon, I want to test out http://roll20.net with as many of you as I can. I've never used it before but it seems like pretty Ubiquitous Software. I want to make sure we all understand it, can use it, and enjoy it.

Roll 20 is fairly easy for roiling dice but I've found the table top portion pretty finicky. But I'm free this Sunday if you want to go over it. It would give me a chance to test out my mic and web cam.

As for groups Hunters works a little better for me time wise but I can do mages as well. No interest in being a vampire, though it's fine if those two groups are the same. Just slot me in wherever works best for you.

I got nothing happening all weekend, I'll just be at home working, so we can do a test sesh whenever.

Quick note: Nobody's expressed interest in being a Vampire, so if someone's got another class in mind in addition to Mages, I can axe Vampires from the monster group and include them.

1. Lunnaku

2. Fingus

3. Twig

Mages and Changelings: Sundays, 8PM - 12AM Pacific (5AM - 9AM Norway, 3PM - 7PM Sydney)

1. Andre (Mage)

2. Reyturner (Mage)

3. Vulpes Absurda (Changeling)

4. Wooben (Mage)

Am I right so far?

That works for me. And as for the vampire group the changeling seem fun so if you want to swap them out for that I'd play one of those.

And speaking of playing is the a resource for beginners any where? Or is the first game going to be a set up and explain the game sort of thing?

All right, here are the books we'll be using: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B57oGcIkk9hjMXhHWHppTFp4VzA

So, please tell me who are when you request access because, I know I'm being paranoid, but I want to limit my sharing of copyrighted materials to just people playing the game. (Are you Jacob, Vulpes?)

You'll want to download the core book of the class you'll be playing (Hunter, Mage, or Changeling). Start reading it. You can skim flavor text, but typically you want to read all of the Introduction, and chapters one (setting and lore), two (character creation), and three (systems). You needn't bother with the rest on your own, we'll go over it if necessary. You should also all download the main core book, World of Darkness, just to have for reference, but you don't have to read it at this point either.

Don't worry about making your character yourself or writing out your own character sheet. I have my own editable PDFs which we'll eventually use and I like to be very involved in character creation, which can be an hours long process with me as I use it to really probe for story ideas and details of the character. In this case, I'm heavily considering streaming the process - particularly as, since it's exclusively a group game, it would make sense to conceptualize all of your characters as having known one another previously. I.e., come up with a concept (the books are wonderful at inspiring your own take on their themes), but don't worry about nailing down anything concrete as concerns your history just yet, since it will be most convenient for all factors to coordinate your character with two or three others rather than having you all meet in the tavern on night one.

...No? Are you a cop? You have to tell me if you are!

Also PDFs can be found over here if anyone is inclined to buy before you try: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/50010/Changeling-The-Lost#anchor_widgets

Reasonable prices by the looks of it.

I'd *Heard* about the art in these books, but I didn't really understand until right now. It's a thing for sure.

All right, let's start getting important.

1. Lunnaku (Confirmed)
2. Fingus (Confirmation needed for books and Saturday)
3. Twig (Confirmed)

Mages: Sundays, 8PM - 12AM Pacific (5AM - 9AM Norway, 3PM - 7PM Sydney)

1. Andre (Late?)
2. Reyturner (Confirmed)
3. Vulpes Absurda (Confirmed)
4. Wooben (Confirmed)

OK, so, as of now, you can see I'm looking for personal confirmation from everyone here on two things:

1. You have the books downloaded.
2. You are available this coming weekend (webcam and headphones/headset ready to go) for our first pre-game session. That is to say, you'll read the indicated chapters (Introduction, Chapters 1 - 3) and begin concepting your character. Then as a group, we'll merge you all together into a semi-shared background and create character sheets for everyone, and nail down a setting for the game itself that suits the characters you've come up with.

A slight change that particularly affects Vulpes Absurda. I've gotten even weaker. My friend, do you mind if we make this an all Mages/Hunter game? Do you absolutely hate the idea of playing a Mage? Would you try to play Mage now and, if you hate it, we could kill you off and introduce you as a Changeling later? It would, again, really simplify things and get the game and story started much more smoothly. I hope you haven't lost a lot of time to the Changeling book already. Please, if you can, switch over to the Mage book.

Everyone else, please confirm that this weekend, at the aforementioned times, works for you, and you'll be ready with your character thoughts then. (Don't stress about the latter point. You'll be in a company of people also making characters of the same class, so you can just listen for what sounds good, and keep the book open, if you're really a lazy scumbag.)

P.S. Consider subscribing to this thread if you're playing?

It's come to my attention that next Sunday is SPORTS. Stupid jock Andre is out. Let me know if you other three can still make it, if maybe you could do Saturday instead, or if we should wait until next week.

I can do a mage though if there's a chance I might switch to changeling later. I'll have to read up and see.

And Sunday works for me. So does Saturday day if it's after 6PM my time.

Awesome, thank you so much for bearing with me. I should have employed this system from the beginning of my very first ill-fated NWOD game - to have everyone start out as one thing (in this case two). So that I could learn how to run the game and the rules for just that. And then if they died (which allows me to include more threatening life or death stakes), they can come back as a different class. And at that point, I can incrementally learn additional books.

But to keep from having people just kill themselves to get to what they really want to play, obviously, they'd have to start at base power level in their new character. No bonus XP.

Still waiting on Fingus, Twig, Reyturner, and Wooben.

No problem :D

Might be worth sending them a message on the site, if they don't respond in a day or two. I find it's easy to miss when there's a new post with how the sub forums work, so if I ever don't respond that is likely why.