Twig

Online Tabletop Role-Playing Extravaganza

It looks like my schedule is starting to clear up. Is anyone still interested?

How long are you expecting sessions to run? 8pm Pacific is manageable for me on the East Coast, but 10:30 is probably as late as I can go (since that's 1:30 here).

2.5 hours is probably reasonable. 

So, by my reckoning, we've got: 

thefncrow

pkirkner

Korax

Badfinger(????????)

+1 (a friend of mine) 

cyrix (by way of PM)

hoo, full house :) 

Hey Merus, when are your games running? I don't want to conflict.

I've been thinking this last few days, and i'm gonna have to drop out of reyturner's DnD game, i want to do it, but i just have too much on my plate these days as is. Luckily it seems as though there are lots of people signed up already!

Have fun everybody!

OK!

March 27th!

8pm PST to ~1030pm!

D&D 5e!

Skype!

Character Creation and opening delve!

You can use the free pdfs or the Players Handbook.

Does this work for y'all?

Edit: Updated the date to be correct

That's what I was a little afraid of. I've got tickets to a show on the 27th. I might be able to hop on for 45 minutes or so, but I'll have to get out of there to make the 11:30 CST show.

I'd like to keep character creation to under an hour, so this gives me a good incentive to figure out how to do that. Alternatively, tell me what class/race you want to play and I'll just make you a premade and you can miss the session without worry.

I'll probably drop in for the first part, unless something changes.  I would like to roll my own character here instead of using a premade, although I will probably need someone to tell me to stop if I'm making a really stupid decision.

You really can't break your character at creation. It's more figuring out what kind of things you want to do and filling out the character to match. Nothing speeds up character creation more than having an idea in mind for what you want to build. And if you're interested in doing weird stuff, just let everyone know. It makes it a lot easier for the DM to give you things you want to do. 

27th sounds good.

I'll probably drop in for the first part, unless something changes.  I would like to roll my own character here instead of using a premade, although I will probably need someone to tell me to stop if I'm making a really stupid decision.

Creating a character shouldn't be to complicated. A lot of the more detailed customization doesn't start happening until 2nd or 3rd level.

Just so the links to the free 5e resources are handy for everybody:

Basic Rulebook .pdf's

Elemental Evil Player Supplement .pdf

Character Sheet .pdf's

There's also a web version of the basic ruleset.

edit: They're more of DM resources, but there are also free supplements for:

The Rise of Tiamat

Hoard of the Dragon Queen

hey D&D guys, 

I've put a request in your PMs for your gmail contacts so I can add you to the hangout.

I THIIIIINK I'm going to be available tomorrow night. What should I be doing as prep before we start so I'm not a horrible nuisance? The roleplaying part of this whole thing should be great, but the mechanics of playing a dungeon and a dragon put me way, way out of touch.

5th edition seems to me a lot less mechanically fiddly than 3rd (and 3.5) or 4th edition, so it's a good time to start. You can get a decent idea of what you'll end up with at the end of character creation by looking at the completed character sheets included in the 5th edition starter set.

Basically, each character has six primary attributes: strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom, and charisma. These influence their ability to accomplish a task by either adding a bonus or a penalty to the dice rolls you'll make when your character attempts said task.

Let's say you have a really strong character with 16 strength (like the first character in the pdf I linked above). You decide you want your character to try and break down a door with brute strength. To determine your success or failure, the DM will set a difficulty class (DC), based in this case on the sturdiness of the door, and ask you to make a "strength check". (The DM typically doesn't disclose the DC to the players.) You'll then roll a 20-sided die (d20) to try and beat the DC value. Since each two points of an attribute above 10 give you a +1 to your roll, you'll then add 3 (which will be easy to look up because you'll have a big +3 written under your strength after character creation) to the result of your roll, tell the DM what that works out to, and he or she will describe the result of your attempt to break down the door.

Almost all of the mechanics work through a variation of this process, with the particular bonuses or penalites to your roll and the number you're trying to beat shifting based on the circumstances.

I think the best thing you can do to prep is familiarize yourself with the "race" and "class" options in the basic rules or the players handbook and think about the backstory you want for your character.

Oh, I meant mostly about character creation so I'm not a big doofus. But you also pretty much answered my question on that as well. I actually know what THAC0 is, fat lot of good that does me.

pkirkner's got it right (thanks for writing that up btw). The best thing to look at right now is the races and classes and, if you're feeling ambitious, take a look at how ability scores are used in tests and combat. It's relatively simple (compared to other versions of D&D), but having an idea of your range of actions is helpful. 

Let me know when I can add you to the hangout via PM. 

I might not be able to make it. Sorry for the late notice, I was thinking of a wizard, so we can just start with a pre-made one of those unless this suddenly frees up.

Sorry guys.

1) I'm still completely lost on character creation and I meant to talk to people way before now but life has been happening.

2) outside of the fact that I'm terrible at filling out a character sheet, I don't know if I'm going to make it this week. I'm still game for this but 11pm on a Friday continues to be a hell of a weird timing.

I can help out people who need help making a character, if anyone needs it. 

What's tripping you up Badfinger?

I understand most of the things on the character sheet, I just don't necessarily know how to fill them out. I feel like a grumpy rube, but the linked players manuals don't have tables of contents. Only the baby abridged version, and it doesn't have all the fiddly parts. I'm going to link my character sheet and just plead for help when I get home.