Twig

Online Tabletop Role-Playing Extravaganza

So, Reyturner's first session is currently scheduled for two days from now. Unless I missed something from before I was put into that group, has there been word of whether or not we should have read any specific materials or have characters made by then, or will this session be for creating characters?

Good news!

It turns out my entire December is fucked for running any sessions. I won't be able to start until at least January. 

Wait, not good news. The other thing T__________________T

I'm really sorry. I literally just found out. 

I also meant to get the logistics explained before now. 

i want to use plain old G+ hangouts with a shared white board for visuals and combat. I'm thinking Realtime Whiteboard. It integrates with Google Drive and SHOULD allow for realtime updates.  I like a looser format and a lot of the existing RPG tools seem really fiddly. 

Dice Rolls will be handled by the hand and rely on the fact that we aren't shitheads. 

If you don't mind the wait, we can do character creation in the mean time in PMs or G+ or whatever. 

Again, really sorry for the late notice. 

Good news!

It turns out my entire December is fucked for running any sessions. I won't be able to start until at least January. 

Wait, not good news. The other thing T__________________T

I'm really sorry. I literally just found out. 

I also meant to get the logistics explained before now. 

i want to use plain old G+ hangouts with a shared white board for visuals and combat. I'm thinking Realtime Whiteboard. It integrates with Google Drive and SHOULD allow for realtime updates.  I like a looser format and a lot of the existing RPG tools seem really fiddly. 

Dice Rolls will be handled by the hand and rely on the fact that we aren't shitheads. 

If you don't mind the wait, we can do character creation in the mean time in PMs or G+ or whatever. 

Again, really sorry for the late notice. 

Hey man, no need to be sorry, you are the one doing the community a solid. 

Hopefully this means I can join up with you as well!

Good news!

No problem rey, we'll probably still all be here in january. :P

Probably good for my sanity to only have to think about one game.

Have a think about what kind of character in a post-post-post apocalyptic world you'd like to play, and what they'd be doing in a big city and why they might have attracted the attention of someone in need of a group of discreet travellers. (If you have the sourcebook, you're starting in Navarene.)

My favourite part of running Numenera are the oddities. Here's what the players have run across in their travels before the game starts proper:

• A glass cube containing what appears to be an aerial live feed of an abandoned city. There's something alarming about the brown material it's made out of.
  • A box with tiny musicians in it, that play when it is opened, and look at you, horrified and pleadingly, when closing it.
  • 56 cards made of a transparent material, most of which show creatures unknown to you. While the cards are transparent, when turned over they instead have some kind of text or data in an unknown language. Some of the markings are only visible in the dark.
  • A semi-circular disc of glass. If you squeeze it (and you can squeeze it), it emits a tight, red beam of light that travels about 45m.
  • A two-headed cat fetus, in a jar. Why is Hank carrying this around? I mean, yes, it's unusual, but for Truth's sake, Hank.

The oddities and cypher stuff is pretty cool, I obviously have the best oddity in my backpack.

You can't beat a two headed cat fetus in a jar, hah!  

My favourite part of running Numenera are the oddities. Here's what the players have run across in their travels before the game starts proper:

• A glass cube containing what appears to be an aerial live feed of an abandoned city. There's something alarming about the brown material it's made out of.
  • A box with tiny musicians in it, that play when it is opened, and look at you, horrified and pleadingly, when closing it.
  • 56 cards made of a transparent material, most of which show creatures unknown to you. While the cards are transparent, when turned over they instead have some kind of text or data in an unknown language. Some of the markings are only visible in the dark.
  • A semi-circular disc of glass. If you squeeze it (and you can squeeze it), it emits a tight, red beam of light that travels about 45m.
  • A two-headed cat fetus, in a jar. Why is Hank carrying this around? I mean, yes, it's unusual, but for Truth's sake, Hank.

Is this stuff randomly generated from a book or did you make each one for a specific purpose? Or do players make them?

They're inspired by a roll from a table, but it's my game and I do what I want so it's not directly taken from the table. Oddities aren't intended to have a direct gameplay purpose - sometimes they're just a neat thing - but there's nothing stopping me from dropping an oddity into the game that has relevance to the plot.

Thanks for playing, guys. Was that time and duration suitable for you all? Should we make adjustments?

Worked for me! Normally that duration would've felt way too long for me, but it helped that there was so little combat.

If we ever have a combat heavy night, don't be surprised if I express fatigue. Tabletop RPG combat can be really tedious sometimes. Though this was all fast and snappy so maybe Numenera (or you!) make it far less likely to happen.

yeah I was just starting to look at the clock when you said one more hour in the chat, I thought that would be tough, but it went by really fast.

I think it was mostly just that I was starting to get a headache and didn't really know what to expect (play time wise) going in. 

That was a pretty good length.

Worked for me! Normally that duration would've felt way too long for me, but it helped that there was so little combat.

If we ever have a combat heavy night, don't be surprised if I express fatigue. Tabletop RPG combat can be really tedious sometimes. Though this was all fast and snappy so maybe Numenera (or you!) make it far less likely to happen.

Numenera really isn't a system where players trade blows, so little chance of that happening.

Yeah, time really flew by in that session. When the hour warning was given, my first thought was "Already?" and then I realized that 3 hours had passed.

Man, my 5E Sunday session was nothing but combat grind and it was a huge turnoff. This group has a new DM (so everything is read from the module we are using verbatim) and the group (even the wizard) picks the option to fight a thing instead of talk to a thing.

I really appreciate that Numenera doesn't encourage stupid fights for experience points.  

[performance anxiety intensifies]

Hah you will be great! Most of my problems stem from the random players I am playing with. If Cyrix, Korax and Twig are any indication we have a bunch of fun players here.