Twig

Online Tabletop Role-Playing Extravaganza

Uuuuuuuh sure :)

I like dnd-ass'd D&D with a tone somewhere around The Princess Bride.

Running 5e, you can use either the free books posted above or the Player's Handbook if you've got it.

8PST Friday twice monthly on weeks Merus isn't.

3-4 players preferred.

Cool cool! At this point, then, people just need to sign up for the games. I might be interested in playing both, although an every-week commitment is a bit much, so I'm not sure if I should. At any rate, If there's too few people in the D&D game (I'm hoping not!), I'll volunteer at least until someone else hopefully comes along.

I have nothing else to do for the foreseeable future. D:

If the games are going to be on alternating weeks, I can also fill out a D&D party if need be. I've done some 3/3.5e and Pathfinder in the past, and I've got the 5e PHB, so I might have some idea of what's going on.

Yeah, I'll be running fortnightly games, which for Americans is every two weeks, probably starting next weekend on the 15th.

My maximum doesn't include me (so seven players total including me) - I can handle six players in person fairly easily, but online you lose a lot of the non-verbal cues.

I'll plan for my game to start the week after.

Also, is there an accepted "best way" to run this? I've only ever done face to face.

Roll20.net is quite good (speaking as a player), though I don't know how much you stick to the grid-based dungeons set up or if you just do a lot of in-your-head stuff.

Yeah, I'll be running fortnightly games, which for Americans is every two weeks, probably starting next weekend on the 15th.

My maximum doesn't include me (so seven players total including me) - I can handle six players in person fairly easily, but online you lose a lot of the non-verbal cues.

Awesome! Do you think just having the player guide should serve our needs or do you recommend the full rule book? 

Roll20.net is quite good (speaking as a player), though I don't know how much you stick to the grid-based dungeons set up or if you just do a lot of in-your-head stuff.

i think it is pretty excellent with the initiative tracker, etc. Saves a lot of time. I also like macros for checks, skills and attacks, etc It also has a handy built in google hangout implementation.

The player guide is fine - the full book contains setting information and GM advice, all of which I'll duplicate as necessary. I'm expecting at least a couple of players won't have the player's guide. I'll explain everything they need to know as we go. If you have the player's guide, you can make more informed choices in character creation, and you'll have a headstart when learning the game.

I'd be interested in giving either or both a try, this would be my first tabletop experience.
I'm pretty much free all the time these days.

The player guide is fine - the full book contains setting information and GM advice, all of which I'll duplicate as necessary. I'm expecting at least a couple of players won't have the player's guide. I'll explain everything they need to know as we go. If you have the player's guide, you can make more informed choices in character creation, and you'll have a headstart when learning the game.

Awesome,will start working on my character now!

For Numenera players:

Our first session will be character creation and a gentle introduction to the campaign. It's worth thinking about what kind of character you're interested in beforehand. You won't be able to finish your character without the other players, as your ties to other characters are a part of character creation, but much of it can be done beforehand if you're interested.

All Numenera characters fall into three basic archetypes: the glaive, your typical mercenary; the nano, who can detect and manipulate numenera, and is the Ninth World equivalent of a magic user; and the jack, who focuses mostly on staying one step ahead of their own personal oblivion, encompassing rogues, thieves, wanderers, swashbucklers and everything in between.

Numenera characters are described as a <adjective> <noun> who <verbs>. The noun is the archetype, and determines your basic moveset. The adjective is a descriptor, from 'smart' to 'tough' to 'graceful' that influences your character's personality (or, at least, it should). The verb is your focus, and determines how your moveset is flavoured and what additional abilities you get to round out the set. The foci are a little specific, so if you don't have a player's guide, and don't want one/can't afford one, we'll cover that in the first session.

I am gonna buy one, just want to make sure, is this it? http://www.amazon.com/Numenera-Players-Guide-Monte-Cook/dp/1939979013/

EDIT: Or is it this? http://www.amazon.com/Numenera-Corebook-Monte-Cook/dp/1939979005/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

They're both by Monte Cook, who I understand is the author. I guess players really only need the player's guide, but if the corebook also contains that information, I might just get that for possible future use. X:

Okay so I can just buy the core rulebook and not have to worry about the separate player's guide?

Yeah, the core rulebook is a superset.

So I've got no players? Makes my life easy/lonely.

I'd like to join your game Merus, but I wouldn't be able to start before 8pm PST. Is that to late for you guys?

Also, I'd miss the Nov 28 session.

Haha. I don't know if you have no players, since not everyone has signed up who said they were interested in playing. D:

I'm okay with 8pm PST (10pm CST), but that might be veering too late for some people, esp. east coasters (but it might be better for Euro crowd, depending on time zone?)

I am fine with anything, I get home from work at 6pm CST, or 4:30pm CST if I work from home and my schedule on those Fridays will be clear. 

I would totally play 5E but I feel like my wife and friends would get a little annoyed if every Friday was RPG Friday :P

So I've got no players? Makes my life easy/lonely.

I'd like to join your game Merus, but I wouldn't be able to start before 8pm PST. Is that to late for you guys?

Also, I'd miss the Nov 28 session.

I was interested in your D&D campaign, I guess my first post was a bit light.

Im interested in both 5e and numernea and i'm pretty much free all the time :P

So I realised I'd made a pre-existing commitment on the day I was going to run our first session. That'll mean I'll have to run it a little earlier than I wanted, and cut it a little short. I'm sorry for this.

I'll need to finish up at around 6:30 CST, and will want to start as early as we can manage. We'll do what we can in that time, and we'll have a full, proper session next fortnight. If we can't manage it, maybe we'll try and do character creation here so we can launch straight into it next time.

I'm still totally into this, I just wanted to stay agnostic because I expected both games to fill up. Since there's still plenty of open space, apparently, is there any advice on which game would be easier for someone who's never played with either system?

I haven't played Numenera, but I know D&D is definitely easy to get into. Probably easier?, as from what I gather Numenera is more fluid with the rules? I could be wrong.

So I realised I'd made a pre-existing commitment on the day I was going to run our first session. That'll mean I'll have to run it a little earlier than I wanted, and cut it a little short. I'm sorry for this.

I'll need to finish up at around 6:30 CST, and will want to start as early as we can manage. We'll do what we can in that time, and we'll have a full, proper session next fortnight. If we can't manage it, maybe we'll try and do character creation here so we can launch straight into it next time.

I just realized I never stated what time exactly I would be available. It would be better for me if we started an hour after that (7:30 CST) as I usually leave work at about 6 or 6:30 and it takes me about half an hour to get home - longer if the bus is late, which is often. If worse comes to worst I can start going into work before 9:30am... Or skip lunch?!

I'm definitely down for both games.

Twig, you might want to update the OP, a few more people have expressed interest, and the start dates would be nice info.

Or maybe we should create a google doc or something, so the GM's can fill out the schedules and games, and players can just "sign up".