Twig

Online Tabletop Role-Playing Extravaganza

Some of us are thinking of starting an online RPG thingy. The setting and time and everything and whatever is still up in the air. Maybe there are other people interested that haven't noticed the discussion happening in the "Non-video games" thread! Well, here's a new thread. I guess since I've created it, I'll commit to updating this first post with any actual fully planned games/events and hopefully this becomes a thing?

---

If you're interested, please express said interest! Include whether you're willing to run a game, or just interested in playing! It doesn't matter if you've played before or not (though personally I'd prefer a Brand New player not be running the game!). Please also include your available times (and timezones) and your preferred settings (if you have any) and your preferred structures (long-running campaigns or small-number-of-session one-offs).

Possible Settings (and GM):

• D&D5e (Merus / Reyturner) - Your standard Western Fantasy fare.
  • Numenera (Merus) - "Player characters explore a world of mystery and danger to find leftover artifacts of the past: bits of nanotechnology, the datasphere threaded among still-orbiting satellites, bio-engineered creatures, and myriad strange and wondrous devices that defy understanding."
  • Eclipse Phase (Merus) - "Eclipse Phase is a pen & paper roleplaying game of post-apocalyptic transhuman conspiracy and horror."
  • World of Darkness (???) - "The World of Darkness is a modern gothic setting, using the Storytelling System. It presents an image of the modern world "through a looking glass darkly": More dangerous, less caring, and filled with monsters of both human and inhuman varieties."

Interested Parties (and availability):

• SuperBiasedMan (weekends Euro time)
  • YoThatLimp (whenever, except Sunday night every other week)
  • Merus (Friday Night American Time)
  • Smart Jason (whenever?)
  • Twig (evenings or weekends American Time)
  • Korax (whenever, except Wednesday nights and Saturday)
  • Reyturner (Friday nights, biweekly)
  • Jutranjo (evenings Euro time, except Wednesday and Sunday)
  • Gwardinen (Euro time, except Tuesday evenings)

Possible Actual Games (GM - time slot):

• D&D5e (Reyturner - Starting Nov. 21! - Friday Nights (Biweekly) 8pm PST, 3-4 players) :  cyrix, Jason, Korax
  • Numenera (Merus - Starting Nov. 28! - Friday Nights (Biweekly) 6pm PST, 6 players max) : Twig, Korax, YoThatLimp, cyrix

How seriously will it be taken? I like the idea of doing one where I get to be goofy and come up with fun creative stuff rather than following a particular combat or ruleset.

This may or may not make sense to people, but the kind of thing where if say, we came across a dragon, people were willing to run with it when I said I wanted to ask the dragon if it had a bad day. (even if the response was to breathe fire on me)

I am in, i am currently playing with a group of people on Roll20 on Sunday nights every 2 weeks,but otherwise I am free and willing.

As stated I like the sillier side of things, but am down for anything!  

There is such a thing as too silly, when it derails the game for everyone else (I've played with a group with someone who'd decide that they'd open a pub and retire, for instance) but I don't think any good GM would begrudge a group for having some fun.

To repeat from the previous thread: I can really only do Friday nights American time, I'd prefer fortnightly games, and I can run D&D5, Numenera and Eclipse Phase.

Not to add another uselessly passive vote of "me too," but I used to do this Sort Of Thing a lot and would engage with profound interest. My schedule's pretty open.

I think... maybe we should keep a list of who's interested, and an Available Time for those people, too, so that we can figure out when this stuff is going to happen, if it does (and it will, or else!). I've done that now, as well as added the three settings Merus said he could run.

If anyone else is interested running a game*, throw out your settings of choice. I've never had an experience above five people (including DM), but I've heard from various DMs/GMs/WhateverMs that anything above that becomes unmanagable. So far (in this thread) only Merus has expressed interest in actually running the game, so it's probably up to him what size group we'd be doing.

Re: Goofiness: I definitely tend to play goofier than most people I've played with, but I don't know if I've ever asked a dragon how it's day had been. O: (Also I assumed your inquiry, SBM, was an implicit expression of interest - if it wasn't, I'll remove you from the initial post).

*I'd love to try running a game some day... but I have no confidence in my ability to do so well. D:

EDIT: Also, go ahead and say which settings you'd be interested in!

Personally, I'd love to move away from standard fantasy fare, but also I'll always have a soft spot for dragons and magic, so if that's what everyone else wants, it's fine with me. Both Numenera and Eclipse Phase sound super interesting.

I'll also reaffirm my interest. Any time other than Wednesday nights and Saturday morning-afternoon. I'll also give whatever game a shot, but Numenera has been on my radar for  a little while now.

(also, the initial post has the descriptions for Numenera and Eclipse Phase switched)

I only have experience with White Wolf's World of Darkness setting, both playing within and running, as well as a couple of games of a small fan-made system, Final Fantasy d6. I am open to anything and would try to be a quick learner for anything else. I think it'd be neat if we were all on the same page of trying something new - something whomever was running the game was excited to pick up and looking for an excuse to learn.

(also, the initial post has the descriptions for Numenera and Eclipse Phase switched)

??? this never happened

I added World of Darkness, although I'm not sure if that's the right one, as there seems to be more than one tabletop game with that name? I've always been sort of passively interested in that one, but in the face of Numenera or Eclipse Phase, it plays third fiddle.

World of Darkness is... weird. And that's not even talking about the actual playing of the games. The "World of Darkness" is where White Wolf sets its games. I believe it started with Vampire, but expanded to Werewolf, Changeling, Wraith, Mage, Hunter, Mummy (yes, a mummy game), Demon, and Orpheus. White Wolf eventually revamped (pun intended) the setting and released it as the World of Darkness and used supplemental books to flesh out specifics for Vampire, Mage, Werewolf, and a few other things.

Among the people I know who play WoD it's generally agreed that the new ruleset is much better, but the old setting is preferred, and we have always just played old WoD with house rules to patch over some of the more iffy parts. That said, WoD is meant to be largely social and player-driven, so having to mess around with systems happens far less than most other games.

My entry looks correct, thanks Twigg!

I am down for anything and everything, just let me know when and I'll pick up the proper handbook.

Roll20/Google hangout integration is pretty awesome!

You are correct that I was expressing interest. A time that suits me.... well my schedule is pretty loose. Some time at the weekend in Europe is what I would say... but I think I'm the only European? Given that you're trying to juggle American timezones with Merus in Australia, I have a feeling it wont work very well and i may need to bow out unless another DM surfaces.

There is such a thing as too silly, when it derails the game for everyone else

I very much agree, there's wanting silly fun and then there's being disruptive. I just wondered about an idea of tone, since I haven't done an RPG thing before.

I'd like to be involved but I couldn't commit to more than one fortnightly session, probably on Friday evenings. I'd prefer 5e. 

I can run or just play. 

Something I was thinking might be fun would be an exquisite corpse  type-a thing, where players hand off the DMing responsibilities every session and get to set what is true for the world or fill in details on an ongoing basis, so long as it doesn't contradict previous rulings. 

Jutranjo also expressed interest in IRC.

At this point we have more than enough people for two games, if we can arrange it all properly. I'm... bad at organizing things, so I'd rather not be the person doing it, but!

We have three possible GMs: Merus, Jason, and Reyturner. Jason can only do World of Darkness; Reyturner only D&D5e; and Merus is up for D&D5e, Numenera or Eclipse Phase.

We should probably decide if we're going to try to do two games or just the one. If we're only doing one... well, seven players and a GM is a bit unwieldy. Probably the best way to figure it all out is to start suggesting timeframes and if people don't match up, then... Well that solves the problem for us?

Merus can only do Friday nights (American time), which means IF we ended up doing Eclipse Phase and Numenera, that would be the only time slot for those, unless someone else would volunteer. Those are, as I've mentioned, my top two picks, so I guess that's one possible game.

...I guess I'll add "Possible Actual Games" to the first post, now. Sign up if you're interested? I guess just say whatever you're interested in for now, and we'll whittle it down from there.

Did I mention I'm bad at organizing things?

I also changed "American Time" to "CST", since that's right in the middle of the continental US.

5e is very playable with the free versions of the books, you really only lose some of the crunch.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules?x=dnd/basicrules

Also, I'm more like twice a month.

Also also, I'll play if there's room. If spots are in high demand, maybe I can run one off games when other DMs are unavailable.

Well I would say the interested GMs setup a time/date and pick a system and maybe interested parties contact them so we can get something started. It seems we  have enough interest to get a game or two going! 

Yeah for sure! I'll definitely keep editing that post with any new information or requests thrown my way.

Also, just to be clear, if you're still interested and haven't piped in, yet, this is by no means a closed thing! There's enough people for two games with room to spare (assuming no overlaps, which I'll be honest, I'm likely to do, depending on time slots).

Oh, I actually didn't mean to volunteer for GMing and actually my games are generally super serious and maudlin so I don't know if I'd be a good fit considering the discussions of goofiness in this thread! However, if we do get a healthy group together for a campaign and collectively learn a system together, I'd be down to GM in the future. Just not for this first attempt.

I am definitely interested in this. My schedule is pretty flexible, but sticking to European-friendly times is better. Also, my Tuesday evenings are almost always busy.

Based on the discussions here I think my Friday game is not going to be Eclipse Phase, at least at first. If Reyturner's still up for a D&D5 game, I'll run Numenera - I think D&D5 is a great entry point for tabletop roleplaying so I want to make sure a game of that is available.

I'll be looking to run games at around 8pm CST, going for 3-4 hours. I have flexibility on that start time based on the individual player needs, particularly later, but probably not earlier than 5pm CST. My max is six players.

Based on the discussions here I think my Friday game is not going to be Eclipse Phase, at least at first. If Reyturner's still up for a D&D5 game, I'll run Numenera - I think D&D5 is a great entry point for tabletop roleplaying so I want to make sure a game of that is available.

I'll be looking to run games at around 8pm CST, going for 3-4 hours. I have flexibility on that start time based on the individual player needs, particularly later, but probably not earlier than 5pm CST. My max is six players.

I'd be interested, how often are you thinking about running games? The system and world seem really interesting! 

I've never played any tabletop RPG game before but I'd like to try one out. I can do evenings (European time) except Wednesdays and Sundays. 

Haha, sorry about that, Jason. I'll fix that, shortly.

Also, awesome. Two games! (Assuming Reyturner is still up for running a game?) That's cool! I'm in on Numenera, obviously.

Merus, when you say max six, does that include you?