Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

Crikey, It's Christmas (2014)!

A medley of Danny Elfman's ace score for Scrooged (slideshow spoilers for the film - go watch it if you haven't already!)

Yule Love it! as an adult too.

Here's an amazing gingerbread house with reindeer cupcakes that Mash of Project Zomboid made for Xmas last year:

gingerbread.jpg

That's weird, I make gingerbread houses just like that every year, although mine tend to have more spearmint leaves on them. I shall be sure to get a photo to reap the sweet sweet internet points.

But what's weird is that my mum has also made gingerbread houses like that and also has that plate. (And has, for the record, never made reindeer cupcakes.)

Oh, it's getting really close to ice-cream Christmas pudding season, I need to make room in the freezer.

Is your mum also working on a retro-style zombie survival RPG?

Only after she got some laptops while overseas. It was a bit weird, would have thought she'd buy new ones.

Its become a trend these past few years for supermarkets/big retailers to create these long elaborate Christmas adverts, and you know what... i actually quite like them. I'm under no illusions, its still marketing, but it's a damn site better then BUY TOYS, BUY UNDERWEAR, BUY FROZEN PARTY FOOOOOOD. Although it is a shame that these adverts are now a news worthy occurrence, but then again its a shame that Kim K's ass is news worthy, its just the world we live in. tis the season its always the real thing

Here's this years offerings from John Lewis. (They sold out of their tie in penguin toys within a day)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iccscUFY860

And Sainsburys

I've mentioned this before, but I find it fascinating how much effort the UK goes to for Christmas. Usually we're all 'bust out all the Christmas stuff from last year, we'll have like three increasingly gross versions of Carols by Candlelight that get progressively less like a shared experience singing Christmas songs, and put some pointless crap on the TV that no-one's going to watch anyway'.

My sentiment about Christmas is a lot like Tim Minchin's - I get to define what Christmas means to me, and to me it means the family, or at least the extended family we've built for ourselves, having a lovely lunch over summer, and ice-cream pudding and probably a trip with friends up the coast for New Years', and maybe at some point I'll brave the Boxing Day sales, but mostly it's friends and family and not doing very much.

Its probably because the weather is fucking miserable, it comes bang smack in the middle of our winter when there's nothing else to look forward to. Your summer holiday was a distant memory. Its this singular beacon of light to look forward to amongst the monotonous misery :)

We have no other holidays around that time either. So as soon as Halloween/fireworks night is over it's full on Christmas time. Shops get all their Christmas displays out, Christmas adverts all over television which start earlier and earlier.

I think the main reason why its such a big deal over here is because there's literally nothing else going on. November and December is nothing but a massive lead up until Christmas day (which is invariably an anticlimax)

I quite like the Christmas bullshit stuff, I'm just put off when it's overly sentamentalist while simultaneously drawing on the most trite and overused tropes.

Has anyone seen the trailer for Nativity 3?

What in the world is ice cream Christmas pudding?

So you prepare your fruit, nuts and glacé cherries just like a regular Christmas pudding, soak the fruit in brandy overnight and roast the nuts, but then instead of baking them in a fruitcake, you mix them in with several litres of nutmeg-dusted vanilla ice cream and freeze it. The taste of Christmas, but suitable for one of the hottest days in the year.

So you prepare your fruit, nuts and glacé cherries just like a regular Christmas pudding, soak the fruit in brandy overnight and roast the nuts, but then instead of baking them in a fruitcake, you mix them in with several litres of nutmeg-dusted vanilla ice cream and freeze it. The taste of Christmas, but suitable for one of the hottest days in the year.

I have never eaten or made (possible seen?) a Christmas pudding. I assume it's like a tapioca-style affair so you're just substituting a colder and more delicious substance?

My second assumption is it has some sort of animal blood in it, because England.

I am having Christmas in New Zealand this year and having a beach Christmas is going to be totally weird. Completely opposite of my cold, snowy Chicago Christmas. 

I am having Christmas in New Zealand this year and having a beach Christmas is going to be totally weird. Completely opposite of my cold, snowy Chicago Christmas. 

I've had the opposite of this experience!

I had my first white Christmas a few years ago, in Switzerland. I flew into London a couple of weeks before, and it was already snowing, which was very novel for me. I went outside to get some supplies for a full day of touristing the next day, and went into the park to enjoy the snow falling.

Turns out snow is really cold water and you end up mostly soaked and freezing. Also I slipped on an ice puddle.

I've had the opposite of this experience!

I had my first white Christmas a few years ago, in Switzerland. I flew into London a couple of weeks before, and it was already snowing, which was very novel for me. I went outside to get some supplies for a full day of touristing the next day, and went into the park to enjoy the snow falling.

Turns out snow is really cold water and you end up mostly soaked and freezing. Also I slipped on an ice puddle.

Hah yeah, snow gets old very, very quickly. My wife went from "OMG SNOW!" to "Snow is the worst" in one season. Still very pretty though! 

Its become a trend these past few years for supermarkets/big retailers to create these long elaborate Christmas adverts, and you know what... i actually quite like them. I'm under no illusions, its still marketing, but it's a damn site better then BUY TOYS, BUY UNDERWEAR, BUY FROZEN PARTY FOOOOOOD. Although it is a shame that these adverts are now a news worthy occurrence, but then again its a shame that Kim K's ass is news worthy, its just the world we live in. tis the season its always the real thing

Here's this years offerings from John Lewis. (They sold out of their tie in penguin toys within a day)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iccscUFY860

And Sainsburys

A piece on Sainsbury's using WWI to flog groceries.

So I have been watching Bad Santa every Christmas since 2005. Does anyone else think this movie is brilliant? I completely understand if you don't.

But like, how can you drop me on my own head?

A lot of the greatest lines in the movies were written by the Coen Brothers but they were not credited.