Ben X

"The Swindle" from Size Five Games for PC and consoles

Thread should be called "Mark of the Swindle"

oh-no-you-didnt.gif

Swindle: Mark of the Gunpoint

^this is a good first impression!

Thread should be called "Mark of the Swindle"

No, because confusing thread titles and also:

The original Swindle was actually a lot more Mark of the Ninja, but I dunno, it's not really a stealth game. Well, it ostensibly is a stealth game, since it's about sneaking around buildings, but... well, I am shit at stealth games, and I'm not all that into stealth mechanics. It's one of those things in games that just sort of upsets me a little bit - the idea that on the whim of an AI turning around, this whole thing could go to bollocks.

From here, a Gama Sutra interview about how some of The Swindle's mechanics were inspired by Spelunky though it doesn't really play like that game either. It's funny that the break-in/heist genre seems super-popular in indie gaming these days. But I think this game will be different enough to Gunpoint etc for it not to be an issue.

It's good that people are having positive associations, though! Dan calls it "Spelunky meets Deus Ex".

No, because confusing thread titles and also:

From here, a Gama Sutra interview about how some of The Swindle's mechanics were inspired by Spelunky though it doesn't really play like that game either. It's funny that the break-in/heist genre seems super-popular in indie gaming these days. But I think this game will be different enough to Gunpoint etc for it not to be an issue.

It's good that people are having positive associations, though! Dan calls it "Spelunky meets Deus Ex".

I see it drawing from multiple sources to make something that doesn't look like it plays like any of those things, which is what makes me excited for it.

Ha, so I was about to ask a question that was answered literally in the first two paragraphs of the Gamasutra piece.  I was wondering if this was the same game as the one that Dan said was canceled awhile back. 

"Mark of the Gunplunky" definitely sounds like a game I'd play the hell out of, regardless of if it was good or not.

Hey! Who changed the thread title?! *shakes fist*

It's a *spooky Halloween forum ghost* ooOOOoOooOOOoooOOOoOOoOoOoOOoOoOOo

Just got announced for simultaneous (as much as possible) release on XBox, PS and WiiU as well as PC.

I've been playtesting a con demo version of this and despite me not being massively into this type of game or very good at it, I really enjoyed it and can't wait to play the full version!

Yes yes, some games are similar in some ways to other games. If only Dan hadn't retooled and cancelled The Swindle so many times he might have beaten Monaco to release!

Oh, it wasn't meant as a jab or anything. That line has a rich history in thieving games.

Ahhh, I wasn't aware of that! I knew regardless that you didn't mean it nastily, toblix, but when half this thread is taken up about jokes that other stealth and/or heist games exist, plus the most recent comment on the console release video is "looks like a shit Monaco", I get a little defensive even though it's not my game! Sorry if I was snappy :)

I guess I should balance this thread out by adding to my brilliant observational satire that I'm also genuinely looking forward to it. I'm curious to see where it falls on the spectrum between pure roguelike try-again-em-up and carefully bespoke artisanal hand-curated single-player experience. Maybe somewhere around Rogue Legacy?

This looks fantastic! Definitely looking forward to playing it when it's out!

I'm curious to see where it falls on the spectrum between pure roguelike try-again-em-up and carefully bespoke artisanal hand-curated single-player experience. Maybe somewhere around Rogue Legacy?

I don't know Rogue Legacy, but it definitely leans towards the former. Everything is procedurally generated, but if you die then you get given a new thief and a new property (if you manage to get out safely, you stay with the same thief but go to a new property). However, the thieves are just dressing (apart from a smattering of XP bonus cash if you keep them alive for long enough), as you get to keep all your augments, so it's not hardcore roguelike.

The conceit is you've got a certain amount of heists to raise a certain amount of money, so you have to balance nicking enough each time to hit your overall goal with the risk of getting caught.

Playing the beta of this and it's great. I really hope this gets the success it deserves.