I agree with you guys – maybe not as ENTHUSIASTICALLY as Twig – but there are definitely some camera and posing choices that are unarguably objectification. There's a scene right at the start of the B2 demo which includes just a shot of Bayonetta's ass. As far as I could tell, the only reason they made that shot was to say, "this is what Bayonetta's ass looks like." It makes ME feel pervy, and is a bummer (no pun intended) because otherwise I am down with all the rest.

Maybe that's an arbitrary line, considering the "her suit is made of hair that flies off during powerful attacks, leaving her nuuuuuuuudddde" business. YMMV, I guess?

Why can't I remember combos?! This is why I suck at fighting games.

They just never click with me, there's no feedback you're doing it right until you do it right.

I agree with you guys – maybe not as ENTHUSIASTICALLY as Twig – but there are definitely some camera and posing choices that are unarguably objectification. There's a scene right at the start of the B2 demo which includes just a shot of Bayonetta's ass. As far as I could tell, the only reason they made that shot was to say, "this is what Bayonetta's ass looks like." It makes ME feel pervy, and is a bummer (no pun intended) because otherwise I am down with all the rest.

Maybe that's an arbitrary line, considering the "her suit is made of hair that flies off during powerful attacks, leaving her nuuuuuuuudddde" business. YMMV, I guess?

Oh yeah definitely all of that is true. But her personality makes it so much more palatable than it otherwise would be, f or me.

I "beat" Bayonetta 2 the other night (I put that in quotes because im going to be playing a ton more to unlock things and try to get platinums and stuff). I didn't really like where the story went at the end (not as much as I liked the first 1) but it was still very satisfying. Bayonetta is still an incredible character, but I wasn't much of a fan of the kid. 

I'm looking forward to people like yoshesque (on SA, she did that dodge offset video) putting out guides and stuff for 2.

I'm also going to have to go back and replay 1 ofc.

I'm also going to have to go back and replay 1 ofc.

Dude, I am maybe halfway through B1 and I am stuck on the fight on the stairs with the 2 consecutive claw dudes. Difficulty: normal. :\ Their attacks are so fast, so damaging, and so hard to read I'm thinking maybe I'm just too slow for this game. Seems like the only way I'll get past is if I play through the previous chapters again and build up some skills. Or maybe I should just move on to B2 - sounds like the timing windows are more generous.

Dude, I am maybe halfway through B1 and I am stuck on the fight on the stairs with the 2 consecutive claw dudes. Difficulty: normal. :\ Their attacks are so fast, so damaging, and so hard to read I'm thinking maybe I'm just too slow for this game. Seems like the only way I'll get past is if I play through the previous chapters again and build up some skills. Or maybe I should just move on to B2 - sounds like the timing windows are more generous.

If you have enough halos, Cleopatra's arm-band is a useful accessory to buy early on, as it activates witch time when hit. Also the move that turns you into a flock of crows is really useful, as it makes the dodge window a bit more open. Apart from that, if you are at the stage I *think* you're at, you should have the fire/ice arms, which they are weak to, depending on their attributes (either fire or ice). Hope this helps!

Urgh bayo 1 is just great, but I find it far too stressful to play in long sessions. By the end of each chapter, my controller is all sweaty.

Quick question, is there any attack you can't parry? So like bosses or projectiles? I'm too scared to try!

Quick question, is there any attack you can't parry? So like bosses or projectiles? I'm too scared to try!

No. Projectiles will fly back to them. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Still haven't bought the double package, I was meaning to buy it already last year, but now I'm really close to getting it. Most likely during February.

Loved the demo of B2 and loved the first game on Xbox. Going to play for sure the first one again and only after that go for the second game.

I've always felt that the funniest bit about Bayonetta is that many people think Kamiya designed her when in fact the whole design was done by Platinum's Bayonetta lead character designer Mari Shimazaki. Even Kamiya was surprised with what she came up with. :)

I've always felt that the funniest bit about Bayonetta is that many people think Kamiya designed her when in fact the whole design was done by Platinum's Bayonetta lead character designer Mari Shimazaki. Even Kamiya was surprised with what she came up with. :)

Yeah theres a ton of info and history on her character design in The Eyes of Bayonetta artbook (which was given to me in the idle santa exchange!!!) and its super cool. They announced One for Bayonetta 2 as well, I think its out in japan. 

Bayonetta made it to Steam last week, and it is so cool to play it again. I rented for my 360 from Gamefly in the US (are they even still around?) I finished it back then, but jumped at the chance to own it. It's cheap, and runs really well, capable of 4k at 60 FPS. It's only $20 / 15 GBP too :)

Also, Bayonetta is a very rare case where I prefer the ENglish language version over the Japanese... it may well be just as ultra camp in the original audio, but I wouldn't appreciate it.

WHAT? Goddamnit, I spend 2 days at parent teacher interviews and I miss Bayonetta 3 getting announced? Off to hunt for a trailer!

EDIT: YES. AND PORTS OF 1 AND 2 FOR SWITCH! IT IS A GOOD DAY!

EDIT EDIT: Best comment on Nintendolife thread: "Nindendo'S Witch". Well done, commenters.

9 hours ago, Mington said:

Fucking bayonetta 3!!!! I need to buy a switch 

thank god they’re supporting the series 

Yeah I thought I'd avoided the need to buy a Switch by playing Breath of the Wild on a friend's Wii U, but with this and Odyssey it's beginning the road to stacking up enough games I can't play elsewhere that I'll probably cave eventually.

Hmm.. now that my console isn't at my parents' place, I might actually finally try this game.

Excellent news! I played 1 and 2 on Wii U but never returned after finishing them. Portability might have me going back. It's good to see Bayonetta 2 get another shot at an audience. Looking at the Wii U catalogue now, it's really only Mario 3D World, Mario Maker and Smash Bros left as the big exclusives. I imagine we'll see the latter two before long.

Edit. Also, we'll get another Digital Foundry comparison article! I'm addicted to those things despite not having a console, PC or TV able to handle all those Ks and gigawatts and flops.

6 hours ago, dartmonkey said:

Excellent news! I played 1 and 2 on Wii U but never returned after finishing them. Portability might have me going back. It's good to see Bayonetta 2 get another shot at an audience. Looking at the Wii U catalogue now, it's really only Mario 3D World, Mario Maker and Smash Bros left as the big exclusives. I imagine we'll see the latter two before long.

*cough*Pikmin*cough*

Didn't it sell, like 14 copies? It was good but not up there with 1 & 2. I found the controls temperamental. I'd rather Pikmin 4 but if they're going to pick Wii U's carcass clean, a port of 3 could work fine.

It says so much about Wii U's failure that Nintendo Land is the only game that has no chance of getting ported. One game that can't be replicated on Switch because the second screen was essential.

Anyway, Bayonetta 3. My money's on an F-Zero homage section.

That would be the meanest of all teases. Up there with Big Blue and Mute City being in Mario Kart now.

I ended up buying Bayonetta 2 for the Switch. I have only completed the prologue and the first chapter so far but I'm liking the game quite a bit. I'm not super into these kinds of action games, but the crazy shit that is happening on the screen keeps me entertained. The menus are hella confusing, though.

Where should I spent my money? Should I invest in Selene's light for example? I don't mind if the purchases make the game too easy for some players, because I'm not going to spent time mastering all the nuances of the combat system or play through the game multiple times at different difficulty settings anyway. I already got Bat Within and some cheap basic moves.

I started playing this game immediately after completing Shadow of the Colossus. I have to say that this is one of the most jarring transitions I have ever experienced with video games.

6 hours ago, Nappi said:

Where should I spent my money? Should I invest in Selene's light for example? I don't mind if the purchases make the game too easy for some players, because I'm not going to spent time mastering all the nuances of the combat system or play through the game multiple times at different difficulty settings anyway. I already got Bat Within and some cheap basic moves.

I can't give perfect advice because I am playing through Bayo 2 for the first time, but I played a lot of Bayo 1 back on the 360. Some of the accessories can make things easier, like Selene's Light, but games by Platinum really come alive when you engage with the combat systems. You can have fun by watching all of the ridiculous things on screen, but Bayo is one of the games that lets you do all of the ridiculous stuff at will. Especially Bayo 1, which is the best combat in any of these kinds of character action games. It is absolutely delicious. I'm not that far into Bayo 2, but I think it might be even better. It depends on the additional weapons and enemy design, but the initial pistol moveset feels a lot tighter than in Bayo 1.

Anyway, I'd recommend getting all the moves and learning how to do them. You might want to learn about Dodge Offset as well, which is one of the defining characteristics of Bayonetta's combat. There is more than enough combat in the game that I think that it would behoove you to at least try to learn pieces of it, so that you look forward to the combat scenarios rather than dread them. You are not going to come close to mastering the combat on the first playthrough. It cannot be done.

The different difficulty settings are definitely worth considering after you have completed the game. If Bayo 2 is like any of the other Platinum games, there are remixed enemy encounters, so enemies that show up late in the game on Normal show up in the early levels on Hard etc.

I hope that isn't too much "you're playing it wrong" but the game is in the mechanics and I would urge you to learn how best to do all the wild stuff (Dodge Offset Witch Time pause combos into Umbran Climax Wicked Weaves and finishing with a Torture Attack).

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try to engage with the combat system, and I am actually enjoying it quite a bit at the moment (just finished chapter 2). However, I doubt I have the patience, time, or interest to try to completely master it or to play through the game multiple times. I also don't have a lot of patience for grinding or banging my head against the wall over and over again, which is why I'm interested in items/techniques that make the game easier. I have found that usually when people say that certain item or skill breaks the game by making it too easy, I'm still perfectly happy with the difficulty level.

Is the Dodge Offset stuff actually explained anywhere in the game? I watched the Youtube tutorials, and I think I got the basic idea (although, it will take some time until I can reliably perform those during heated combat), but I don't remember seeing it mentioned in-game. Also, the menu/inventory interface is super obnoxious. Is there anything else there that is important apart from lollipop crafting?

Again, I'm only playing Bayo 2 for the first time as well, but I don't really recall any items/accessories that made the first game easier. I suppose the heart and magic upgrades would help. Searching around the levels for the heart pieces and magic upgrade pieces usually results in another fight, as far as I can tell. You might run across blue circles on the ground, which lead you into an optional challenge room. They give you heart and magic upgrade pieces as well. If the challenge seems doable, try it a few times. In Bayo 1, some of them were next to impossible until you had the right weapon/abilities. Bayo 2 seems to give you a lot more money overall, in comparison to Bayo 1. Obviously the green lollipops are helpful, and I think there are yellow lollipops as well. They make you invincible for 30 seconds.

If you're really struggling, you could always drop it down to easy mode. I'm just wary that considering Hard mode adds enemies, Easy might take some away. If you're in it for the spectacle, that might be a disservice.

I don't think Dodge Offset is explained in the game, but Platinum are kind of notorious for not tutorialising what makes their combat systems interesting. In Metal Gear Rising and Wonderful 101 you had to buy things like the dodge and block moves in the shop. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12 hours ago, Nappi said:

Is the Dodge Offset stuff actually explained anywhere in the game? I watched the Youtube tutorials, and I think I got the basic idea (although, it will take some time until I can reliably perform those during heated combat), but I don't remember seeing it mentioned in-game. Also, the menu/inventory interface is super obnoxious. Is there anything else there that is important apart from lollipop crafting?

No, and no. IMO. Which for what it's worth is the opinion of someone who just beat B1 today having never really given it a chance before. I did get up to Chapter 5 on the Wii U version but I was playing it expecting it to be great with all the hype and wasn't feeling it for whatever reason - I would pick it up for twenty minutes here and there over quite a long period until I got to a notorious sticking point in the fifth and gave up. This time it clicked and I've been playing through a chapter or two every morning while on the exercise bike (!) and really enjoyed it in the main, with the exception of some QTEs that it really could've done without but it is basically 10 years old now and that's what we did back then.

Normal difficulty never gets harder than chapter 5 and never asks any more from you than some really basic combos - I was PPKKK and PPPKKK-ing all day - and learning to watch for tells, dodge often and don't get greedy. I'm awful at Platinum games usually but as long as you're OK with stone trophies for a first playthrough then there's nothing to stop you seeing it through. 

Anyway I liked this game and the bosses are especially great which is notable because I hate boss fights. [7]