We need a Bayonetta thread. I made a Bayonetta thread.

I started playing the sequel last night and i forgot just how insane these games were. within 30mins my summoned giant hair demon was head-butting godzilla.

Lots of F-Bombs! Which was a bit of a shock, I don't remember the first game having lots of swears?

Bayonetta 1 is pretty liberal with the curses as well; Rodin drops a *bunch*, and Bayonetta still has that "f**k off" attached to the ends of certain combos.

And yeah, the games are nuts. The Bayo1 intro is still stellar as well.

Also what *is* it with Japan and Fly Me To The Moon? I swear it crops up in all sorts of Japanese media and has since... well, the 80s? I remember it most vividly with Evangelion, but it's here in Bayonetta, and I know it's a common tune in a bunch of other things (Wikipedia focuses solely on the heavy use in NGE and Bayonetta, but I *know* I've heard it elsewhere).

I think that "In Other Words"/"Fly Me To The Moon" might be a karaoke staple over there or something.

I came to bring up that exact song.  I haven't played 2 yet and I never did finish 1, but I remember really liking that it was in there.  I don't play/watch a ton of other Japanese things so I haven't seen it that much.  I dug it.

Stupid subtitles. Obviously I turned them off as I'm not hard of hearing or playing in a foreign language. During some of the cinematics the Angels speak at you in some mumbo jumbo which I assume is translated in the subtitles, but they don't appear as I have them turned off. :fart:

God knows why in 2014 games are still being released with subtitles on as default.

I decided to buy a Wii U almost a year ago, but still haven't actually gone ahead and done it yet. I think this game will push me over the line. It's a shame the Wii U isn't doing so well, for my money it has the best exclusives on it so far of the new consoles (at least until Bloodborne comes out). Third party doesn't matter to me I just play them on PC.

I played the original Bayonetta and the intro/first level with Fly Me To The Moon in it was so gloriously outrageous and fun. My interest in the game pretty rapidly fell off from that point on, though.

I plan to buy a Wii U some time next month (4 smash of course), and everybody raving about Bayonetta 2 has me considering it... but if it isn't much different from the first one then I probably should skip it.

We do need a bayonetta thread!!! I loved the first game. It has the best and most interesting combat of any game of that style, far and away, and its style and insanity is also amazing. I've been playing 2 (I bought a wiiU just for this game) and boy does it deliver. I'm not sure I like all of the new weapons, but I like most of em so far and they have made some smart changes and additions, without losing any of what I loved about the first one. It doesn't have any of the QTE sequences that hte first one had which is quite nice.

Also, since i'm here, gonna drop some good videos to help learn bayonetta combat (its really deep and im not that good at it yet, but I'm practicing)

Also, as a followup to bayo 1's Fly Me To the Moon cover, 2 has a Moon River cover that is great.

Also what *is* it with Japan and Fly Me To The Moon? I swear it crops up in all sorts of Japanese media and has since... well, the 80s? I remember it most vividly with Evangelion, but it's here in Bayonetta, and I know it's a common tune in a bunch of other things (Wikipedia focuses solely on the heavy use in NGE and Bayonetta, but I *know* I've heard it elsewhere).

I watch a lot of bootleg Japanese daytime television (and commercials on youtube) because I'm a stupid, dumb nostalgia whore and Japanese ads and cooking shows somehow scratch that itch.

But anyway, Japanese TV does this thing where they play 10-30 seconds of some song before immediately switching to something else, and Fly Me To The Moon shows up all the time in that context too. Also in a good number of advertisements. It's just a really popular song across the board, for some reason.

I played bayo1 on 360 but I only have a PS3 now.

I want to play again but I remember people saying the PS3 version was terribly optimized. Was that fixed?

I want to play again but I remember people saying the PS3 version was terribly optimized. Was that fixed?

I dont think it was ever fixed, but I played it on PS3 and still loved it. I'm excited to replay it on wiiu though, but im playing through 2 first

I'm starting to get into the first game now, I think I'm four chapters in. I can't shake the feeling that it's going to get proper fucking hard at some point though and I'm going to ragequit it.

I was a huge fan of the original when it came out.  I remember going to E3 2009 and losing my mind at the Sega booth when I saw it for the first time.  Former Clover studio guys, now named Platinum, basically making the "proper" Devil May Cry continuation.  I had honestly not played Devil May Cry at that point, but I had a blast with how fast paced, action heavy, and lets not forget weird that game is.  Now that I have it on the Wii U I'm replaying the original and still loving it.  Couple of notes, though, because sadly this port didn't get everything right.  Also to Yasawas:

I'm starting to get into the first game now, I think I'm four chapters in. I can't shake the feeling that it's going to get proper fucking hard at some point though and I'm going to ragequit it.

It may feel that way, and the game will offer you a challenge, but it's not as bad as it seems.  There's every reason to stick with it and the game is beatable without reloading the final chapter or last boss battle a dozen times, promise.  Stick with it, totally worth it from start to finish.

As for the WiiU port, I'm annoyed by a couple of the changes.  One of those is the integration of the four Nintendo-based costumes that are available at the onset: Peach, Daisy, Link, and Samus.  They are all aesthetically accurate and give mild perks that don't really do anything to change the game's balance, but my big problem is they just look bawdy and goofy in the cutscenes.  I tried, I really did, but just couldn't get past chapter 3 with the Samus or Link suit.  Bayonetta is crazy in the events that occur, but the game owns this and handles it with a wink and a nod, whereas the NIntendo costumes are ignored (because they weren't designed with those existing) and it seems like the 400 pound gorilla in the room no one wants to talk about.  I don't take the sexual camera angles or suggestive poses with any sort of titillation, but I didn't expect seeing Bayonetta in a Link costume bent over suggestively to fuck with my childhood memories associated with Zelda.  It all seemed creepy.  Fortunately you can avoid those costumes if you have a big problem and it's the same game with slightly better visuals and a silky smooth framerate.  I don't want them out of the game, just couldn't use them myself.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the sound in cutscenes was all messed up by default.  My WiiU is routed through the HDMI in my receiver and then to my television and all uncompressed audio passes through it from multiple devices without a problem, including all previous WiiU games before Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2.  The voice and various sound effects were either really low or missing when I first started the game until I went back into the WiiU settings and switched them to "stereo" instead of "surround".  If you think your copy is broken or weren't aware that this game can be played without subtitles (like Mington does), this simple tweak will give you crisp, clear sound throughout the game.  I don't know what special uncompressed version of sound these games are using, but this is the first time in my PC/Console history that my receiver didn't know what to do with it.  Perhaps it's just improperly coded and doesn't work in "surround" for anyone, but of course there were plenty of forum posters claiming otherwise at Bayonetta headquarters.  

All in all I'm loving going back to the original and can't wait to experience the sequel, which I've almost unanimously heard is a better game.  I was warned to play the original first before moving on to the sequel because the combat tweaks are hard to go back to.  Fine by me, I loved the original and love replaying it.  Why do fans clamor for having the original in the box and talk about how great it is only to ignore it completely and play the sequel the moment they get it?  Almost everyone I know who just skipped to 2 immediately has admitted they probably won't go back and replay the WiiU version of the original.  That sounds wasteful and stupid to me.  Thoughts? 

I decided to buy a Wii U almost a year ago, but still haven't actually gone ahead and done it yet. I think this game will push me over the line. It's a shame the Wii U isn't doing so well, for my money it has the best exclusives on it so far of the new consoles (at least until Bloodborne comes out). Third party doesn't matter to me I just play them on PC.

I'm in the same boat. To be honest I prefer Sony exclusives, but Nintendo Games are looking amazing on the Wii U, I'm really impressed with the visuals, and they might be really fun to play considering they've always been. However, Bayonetta 2 is the real reason I'm finally going to buy this console, but I think I'll wait until I find a very good deal on a used Wii U, I'm spending too much money on video games.

The original Bayonetta was such a surprise, I never expected to actually enjoy it. Played it only this year, it was the inferior PS3 port but it's still an amazing game anyway. It just got a great learning curve for newcomers to the genre, because even if sometimes I got completely stuck in some challenges, it was so rewarding when you overcome them and realized you got so so much better at playing the game.

Curious: Is there any disadvantage to doing a dodge off-set? It seems like you might as well do it all the time, even if there's nothing to dodge...

Yeah, Sony (bizarrely, not platinum or Sega) released a patch like a month later making everything super-smooth, or so I read. I'm pretty sure it's playable now on the ps3, and doesn't load the pause menu.

Curious: Is there any disadvantage to doing a dodge off-set? It seems like you might as well do it all the time, even if there's nothing to dodge...

There's not really any penalty and until you get a tight grasp on the combat system you will most likely do a lot of random dodges, but when surrounded you can easily dodge your way into a hit.  It's very frame county but fortunately not nearly as specific as, say, Street Fighter.

There's not really any penalty and until you get a tight grasp on the combat system you will most likely do a lot of random dodges, but when surrounded you can easily dodge your way into a hit.  It's very frame county but fortunately not nearly as specific as, say, Street Fighter.

yeah im still at the stage where I dodge too much and not always necessarily, sometimes it bites me. I need to learn when to chain dodges and suff

Well, just ordered it from amazon. Both 1 and 2 should be here on Tuesday. Although I won't have any time to play until the weekend.

Moved on to Bayonetta 2, the window is much wider for dodges.  I totally get why that is more appealing to the general player and I'm nowhere near hardcore enough to not love this adjustment myself.  If you are going to play the first one on WiiU, do it before the sequel, they improved almost all of the mechanics.

Is it me, or has the rules on infinite climax between bayonetta 1 & 2 changed?

My recollection of it in 1 is that witch time no-longer activates when dodging, meaning that you were required to use items to activate witch time, making the Moon of Mahaa Kalaah one of the most important items to learn (parries enemy attacks and then activates witch time).

This doesn't seem to be the case in 2, just that the timing for the dodge is super specific. Am I going mad? Also the Moon of Mahaa Kalaah no longer activates witch time after a successful parry in 2. :/

Picked B2 up on the weekend and popped in B1. I was kind of taking a gamble on the appeal, but the absurd bonkers insanity turns out to be more appealing than I thought it would be.

All the combo stuff seemed pretty intimidating, so I was relieved to see these helpful videos posted earlier. After watching them, though (and they're great), this thing seems even MORE intimidating. Less "game," more "lifestyle."

I've only played a bit of the game (first one), and the gameplay doesn't really grab me - never been a fan of character action games, and this one feels identical to the rest, despite everyone saying it's So Much Better Though For Real!!!! - BUT.

Dang I love the style and the music and the whacked out story and most of all I love how even though Bayonetta is clearly sexy as fuck, she owns the hell out of it. That last bit is important (to me) because I was super skeptical of it all, but once I played the game it is just wow, she is happy to be sexy. I mean obviously she's probably still just Kamiya's fetish or whatever, but at least he made her a real character.

I'll probably keep playing it! After I'm done with Fantasy Life...

It came! My initial feelings are he opposite to Twig. I love the gameplay, it grabs me and makes me want to keep playing.

A cool thing though: this game passes the Bechdel test within the first cut scene.