singlespace

Obra Dinn

Lucas Pope's, creator of "Papers, Please", next game. The aesthetic is quite interesting even if the demo is 0.04:

obra.png

Some articles from Polygon:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/22/7039055/papers-please-return-of-the-obra-dinn-first-video-pope

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/4/5967211/lucas-pope-papers-please-return-of-the-obra-dinn

Demo:

http://dukope.com/

Having played a handful of monochromatic Myst-precursors oh so many years ago, seeing that aesthetic being done in real-time is just destroying my brain, i absolutely love the look of it.

It looks so darn good, and even that seems like nothing once you get the

death-rewind pocket watch and see actual people models with amazing shading on them.

I also really like the concept of the game, trying to find out how everybody died. And the manifest is HUGE. There were like 40 people on that boat.

B0jXsBECIAAZxsY.png

The subject matter and aesthetic isn't personally appealing to me, but Papers, Please is very possibly the closest thing I've ever played to a perfect game and I've devoured all the browser-based gamejam games Lucas has on his site (recommendation: check out The Republia Times), so this is a day one perch.

It looks so incredible, I love how even with a 1bit colour system he has some smooth ass animations in it.

I'm terrible though and achieved literally nothing in the demo. I had no clue where to start because wandering around hitting space on everything seemed to yield me nothing but nice hand animations.

I kept moving the camera in front of doors just to watch those lovely hand animations.

Such a cool rendering style.

His devlog posts here are eminently worth reading.

Also: I love the walk change on the stairs.

The GDC build is available to download/play. Haven't checked it out myself, but here's the changelog since the previously available version:

- New intro sequence (voiced dialog, start on ferry, clearer watch quest)
- Vignetted flashbacks
- Fully modeled top deck
- One new music track, remastered the rest
- One additional flashback
- Take a few steps below deck
- Pause/settings menu
- I think that's it

Fell through the world :/

But the orange pallet is soooo good. Felt like I was playing a game on the Philips 8086 again.

This thing is so cool.

I think I'm gonna need to quietly ignore it until I can play the whole thing, though.