Sign in to follow this  
Azreal

Borderlands The Pre-Sequel!

I did a search for this game in the forum search and it didn't pop up, so if it is a re-post or old thread my apologies. 

I think the game is fun! I don't play a lot of FPS or multi-player games and the emphasis on grinding and co-op put me off the first two games. However, I've been playing the solo campaign for this game and I'm really enjoying it. In particular I like the environment. This game takes place on the moon, or some moon, so your character has a very floaty jump. There is some emphasis on vertical game play which I think might be new? There are jumping platforms that shoot you across over large areas. There is one boss fight early on where the arena looks like a multi-player map from Quake with jumping platforms everywhere. The game sort of feels like Metroid Prime series, except more action based. I also unlocked vehicles early on and I feel like getting around the map is much easier and fun. I'm not an expert or fan of the series but this game caught me off guard. I really enjoy it and I can't stop playing it. My friend is a super fan of the series and he's been playing non-stop. So we kind of met in the middle with this game. It's nice when that happens.  B)

I suspect I'll end up buying this just to support the local industry.

For the longest time I kept thinking this was the game Telltale was working on and was really confused by video I've seen.  Only yesterday did I realize that I was confusing it with Tales from the Borderlands.

I have two major questions:

How annoying is the playable clap-trap?

Is this game more like BL1 or BL2 in terms of co-op? I felt like in BL1 co-op was a fun addition to the game, in BL2 I couldn't beat the game on my own or get any good loot without co-op.

P.S. Are assault rifles still weird? there were so few that acted like assault rifles normally act. I just want normal to big clips and automatic firing, is that so hard?

I've played all blands alone, and also playing the pre-sequel alone. I haven't had any problem getting good loot or beating the game in BL2. To me the pre-sequel feels more like a blands 2 than blands 1. Pre-Sequel is like blands 2 with new levels, some new weapons and new enemies. I haven't found a good assault rifle yet, because my shotgun is so damn good (playing as Wilhelm)

For the longest time I kept thinking this was the game Telltale was working on and was really confused by video I've seen.  Only yesterday did I realize that I was confusing it with Tales from the Borderlands.

This game just showed up on my radar too. I'm not much of a fan of the series but the spacey environment and short campaign made it more appealing. 

The moon feels like Australia.

The devs are from Australia and I think they said the people on the moon are Australian. They used their own voices as place holders and just left it that way.

Apparently it had as much to do with the writers unthinkingly using Australian English, so it felt like a deliberate design decision rather than temp dialogue. It's weird hearing the 'archaic' slang from Planescape because some of it's current Australian English.

The Mary Sue had an interesting interview with two of the writers for the Pre-Sequel.  I started quite like Anthony Burch after following him on Twitter around the start of gg. 

We started playing this over the weekend, and after looking at Claptrap's tree, I couldn't not play him.  I've often felt that the skill trees of Borderlands (at least one and two) were rather uninspired in a lot of ways.  But Claptrap's is a thing of beauty.  One tree turning him into a suicidal, explody trapbot, one tree focusing on supporting teammates and another tree that turns him into a slot machine with his bonuses and negatives changing ever 90 seconds.  And then there's his special ability, in which he draws a random ability from a pool.  He's by far my favorite character I've ever played in these games.