Architecture

Hatred: The Most Despicable Game of All Time?

"I'm sorry, but the password you've chosen is unacceptable. It must be at least 8 characters long and contain both numbers and letters as well as at least one Elvish rune."

so when can we get the thread title changed to "Hatred: The Most Laughable Game of All Time?"

letters and numbers are not symbols!?

I am literally not allowed to answer those questions.

"Now as part of this agreement, Mr. AsianMan, you will be forbidden from disclosing whether or not letters and numbers are in fact, symbols."

Yes, that certainly has an "all your base are" level of embarrassment to it.

However, the developer advertisement plan has worked out with a vengeance. They've quickly been through Greenlight with much of a spectacle, including what must be perceived as a personal endorsement from Gabe Logan Newell, had a few dozen articles about their game written up by all the major sites well in advance of release and generated a 'SJWs won't let us sell our game' counter reaction to boot (which is still going on on GOG.com, as GOG doesn't sell the game). Hatred sales will turn out to be far more than adequate.

The game is mediocre at best. That was to be expected – the game vocally strives to not be art. Hence it isn't even creative in its violence. The shooter stuff is pretty standard from the violence perspective, and the non interactive execution cutscenes so repetitive and boring that practically everyone deactivates them immediately. Taking civilians down for renewed energy, that's the legacy of Kain (1996) kind of old, execution cutscenes are white-bread shooter/beat'em'up stuff, and "kill civilians" as a mission requirement is found in such harmless ventures as Roundabout (2014) already.

A truly controversial product generates shock by breaking conventions. Hatred has turned out, top to bottom, a conventional game because its developers just didn't have it in them to make anything else, and never even wanted to. Still they reaped ample rewards for making a stupid fuzz and for having their ties to the radical ultra right revealed in detail.

A victory for no one, I'm afraid.

Hatred sales will turn out to be far more than adequate.

I wouldn't count on that.  GG doesn't necessarily support the things it latches onto in any kind of significant way.  Watching free YouTube streams doesn't equal paying $20 for a bad game.  The primary people who cared about Hatred are gg, and on KiA there's literally no mention of it on the day it launched, not four pages deep. 

Supporting Hatred was about irritating people, but that job is done. 

If only that were true (I'm not talking about the game).

True.

Also, I just looked at Hatred's steam page. At the bottom, one of the recommended games is Gynophobia, a game about the abnormal fear of women.

True.

Also, I just looked at Hatred's steam page. At the bottom, one of the recommended games is Gynophobia, a game about the abnormal fear of women.

...At first I was like, "Huh, that sounds interesting" and then I looked it up and I don't know why I thought it'd be anything other than an FPS about killing women, given that it was recommended on the Hatred game page.

Yes, I am an idiot.

EDIT: Ahahaa, bonus, it's early access! You can help shape this game into what it needs to be. "I'd like to kill more women, please!" Ahahasdgasdgsdg barf.

The primary people who cared about Hatred are gg

I see all those cries of "censorship" (ha, ha) on GOG, but these people are not just the usual gamergate people. However, what's strong there regardless of gg alignment is the SJW conspiracy narrative ("as in: "Hatred was pulled from Greenlight/GOG because of SJW outrage"). So forces might be joined here, which could have an added effect on sales.

Well, I guess Steam Spy will tell us a thing or other about how Hatred fares. :)

I'll bet Hatred does moderately well sales-wise, but whatever Destructive Creations' follow-up is comes and goes with a three-digit number of sales.

If, in fact, they ever finish it.

There are indeed some reviews out there which stress that Hatred was "stomach turning". Personally, I agree most with the RPS review instead...

Hatred fails in every way. It fails to be a fun, entertaining game. It fails to be a technically competent release. And most of all, it fails to be a controversial, shocking experience.

I saw a screengrab of the Top Steam Games thingy and Hatred was on top. :|

EDIT: Which apparently doesn't mean much, it got bumped quickly to 3rd place and doesn't have a high number of people playing it.

In some weird way I've equated this game to like GG performance art. Like, if SJW's have the college student carrying the mattress around (something I'm not the hugest fan of, just based on the fact that the facts are sticky at best- but that's neither here nor there,) than Hatred is the anti- social justice equivalent. A pretty bad game that exists just to be some kind of point? 

It's especially bizarre because it's not like it's new to kill pointlessly in video games, but this is just like the Mt. Dew EXTREEME version, I guess? 

I saw a screengrab of the Top Steam Games thingy and Hatred was on top. :|

EDIT: Which apparently doesn't mean much, it got bumped quickly to 3rd place and doesn't have a high number of people playing it.

It's already fallen off the top 10.

In popularity (i.e. concurrent present players), it's number 154 right now. Yet, again, not much can be inferred from that.

There are a ton of positive Steam reviews, but virtually all of them I've seen have been comedic (surprisingly so!)

It's interesting that this coincides with Valve's decision to allow people to get refunds of any product. Some worried that their refund policy would allow people to buy games just to review them, then get their money back. While I found that idea unlikely, I find it more unlikely that this many people would buy Hatred, especially in order to leave joke reviews. I really, really hope Valve lined the release of the refund policy up with the release of Hatred as a subtle 'fuck-you'. Or I suppose in classic Valve sense, it's more like they gave their audience the tools to allow them, the consumers, the ability to say 'fuck-you'.

Or I suppose in classic Valve sense, it's more like they gave their audience the tools to allow them, the consumers, the ability to say 'fuck-you'.

Just like Tags and Curators...

There are a ton of positive Steam reviews, but virtually all of them I've seen have been comedic (surprisingly so!)

I'd love to take a look at them, but it seems I need a proxy even for that. Oh, Steam, you very heart of censorship. :cens0r:

I'd love to take a look at them, but it seems I need a proxy even for that. Oh, Steam, you very heart of censorship. :cens0r:

Favorites so far:

"It's basically like The Sims.

Walking around in the neighbourhood and interacting with other people, 

visiting their homes, getting groceries, satisfying your needs ect."

"Great way to test out Steam's new refund system!

10/10 Would reverse purchase if bought again"

"This game taught me how to give back to the community, help the homeless, and support my local law enforcement. "

And my favorite:

"Hatred's a pretty solid twin-stick shooter. There are a few bugs here and there, one specifically where when a car runs you over and you instantly die is just Crawling in My Skin. Remember, in combat, you need to stay in cover, because These Wounds They Will Not Heal.

This game is hugely controversial because some people may take it the wrong way, even though it's a video game, so some people may be Confusing What is Real.

The game - It starts with One Thing I Don't Know Why. When you get the SWAT and military on you, It Doesn't Even Matter How Hard You Try.

I tried so hard, and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter. I had to fall, to lose it all."

"Hatred's a pretty solid twin-stick shooter. There are a few bugs here and there, one specifically where when a car runs you over and you instantly die is just Crawling in My Skin. Remember, in combat, you need to stay in cover, because These Wounds They Will Not Heal.

This game is hugely controversial because some people may take it the wrong way, even though it's a video game, so some people may be Confusing What is Real.

The game - It starts with One Thing I Don't Know Why. When you get the SWAT and military on you, It Doesn't Even Matter How Hard You Try.

I tried so hard, and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter. I had to fall, to lose it all."

That is great :tup:

I'm sure that that review is full of lyrics or references somehow, but I have no idea what they are.

Edited to add: Google is my friend.  That's hilarious.

Penny Arcade made a comic about Hatred. Here is the customary news post accompanying it, written by Jerry, with lines bolded by me for emphasis. Penny Arcade is a cool site for gamers.

Hatred really isn’t a big deal.  I don’t mean, like, hating.  Don’t do that!  I’m talking about the game Hatred, which is crazypants.  If you want to know about it, it’s basically a twin-stick shooter, which is whatever.  I would never have known about it if there hadn’t been such a breathless, plainly mercenary attempt to capitalize on the game’s unvarnished, thoroughly amateur depiction of violence.  That said, if someone is super good at Hatred call the police.

We have to come to terms with the fact that people are going to make art about their worst impulses and games are going to be where that happens sometimes.  I can remember when turntables began to outsell guitars, and as digital tools and technology get wider purchase we’re seeing it again.  People who would have formed bands are going to form development studios now, small, really fucking weird ones.  And they’re going to make “punk.”  Not the punk you like.  They’re going to make “Fuck you” punk.  And, as has occurred every other time, “squares” are going to take the bait.

A big part of the problem on the developer side is that they didn’t flatter games media.  What a developer is supposed to do is to give their violence ironic cover, or agree to pretend that it’s a deconstruction of violence, or make the player wear a surreal animal mask, anything to “elevate” the piece so that the press can rub their faces on it like a cat.  Barring these, you’d better fucking know one of them.

Here’s what’s up, now.  We let anyone who can type create reality.  I think this is vastly superior to the old model, which would never have made my life of .jpeg encrusted excess possible.  But the reality the press created with their histrionics took a sorta middle of the road, traditionally peechee-bound retribution fantasy that would have languished on the highest, most out of the way rackmount in a colo somewhere and made the creators of that work a ton of money while also molding them into an icon of free expression in this medium.  The gulf between their intentions and what they accomplished literally has no bottom.

hmm that's an interesting point jerry but on the whole i think i'm okay with the spooky feminists over in games journalism not praising the nazi game