Chris

Idle Thumbs 180: Wars and Pieces

Idle Thumbs 180:

593__header.jpg

Wars and Pieces

Through examining the clues laid before us, interrogating everyone in sight, and making mental leaps heretofore unperformed by man, we deduce that no matter what they tell you, in video games you'll never be the Sherlock Holmes of the story; you're always Watson, and you always have been. Plus, Danielle attends IndieCade and takes two side trips: one to an incredible haunted house, and one to Hell.

Things Discussed: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, IndieCade, Vietnam Romance, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Murdered: Sole Suspect, Desert Golfing, Desert Bus, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Los Angeles International Airport, Universal Studios Halloween Horror Night

If you want a horrifyingly stress-inducing game about managing airport luggage, look no further!

TXmQTC2.png

Chris, 10/14/14:

Welcome to the Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast on the Idle Thumbs Network.

Chris on Ethan Carter, 10/15/14:

It was hard for me to swallow the 'you're a detective with supernatural powers' thing.

I thought that was funny. But ya, I thought the writing on Ethan Carter was kind of bad too. I finished the game, mostly I think because the environments were so pretty, but the writing definitely pushed me away from doing so. In the end,

the story is revealed to have been in the kid's imagination

but I don't think that really redeems it.

Another famous Russian ampersand novel would be Fathers & Sons.  The origin of nihilism, some would argue.

Chris, 10/14/14:

Chris on Ethan Carter, 10/15/14:

I thought that was funny.

lol. Yeah, I mean, I guess that just speaks to the importance of execution and a really strong thematic core.

Another famous Russian ampersand novel would be Fathers & Sons.  The origin of nihilism, some would argue.

was about to post this, almost verbatim. Damn you!

Not an ampersand, but there's also The Master and Margarita.

The Masters and Margaritas sounds like how my uncle spends his favorite Sundays.

You thought people missed your All That reference, Sean. You were wrong.

I slept in the Pittsburgh airport once. It sucked the most.

There's a Second Edition of the English translation of The Last Ringbearer available as PDF/ePub/mobi/text.

(This is the work by Dr. Kirill Yeskov referenced by the Thumbs that recasts Tolkien's world as one in which the victors wrote the history. Because this was on the tip of my brain before I managed to serendorito it, I'll include: this is the work posted on the ymarkov livejournal page, about Middle Earth, Mordor, Sauron. I can't think of any other search type words right now.)

ah, on my to read list. heard it would make a great animated film

The Superman song (aka Kryptonite) by 3 Doors Down is the only song of the band I have fond feelings for, mostly because at the time I played in a cover band it was a popular choice by other cover bands that played on the same stages as we did.

I don't think a recap at the end of the podcast is necessary. It deflates the flow of the podcast and we already got the show notes that serve the same purpose. I'm for more chaos and less order on Idle Thumbs. Otherwise good work! Danielle's story of her airport experience made me really feel for her. Sounded awful. :/

I enjoyed Danielle's two joking attempts at getting Sean to agree to make an X-Files rewatch podcast to rival the Twin Peaks one.  They simply fell on deaf ears though, is it possible Sean is the Slasher?

ah, on my to read list. heard it would make a great animated film

It's a wonderful book. And yeah, I hadn't thought about it, but it would work really well animated.

I wish they'd just suck up the hero fantasy and actually make a game about playing Watson. Why not? Watson's cool! Make a game where there's too much shit for Sherlock to handle, so he asks you to go collect evidence for him. This is something that actually happened several times in the books. Bah. No one gives Watson enough credit.

I enjoyed Danielle's two joking attempts at getting Sean to agree to make an X-Files rewatch podcast to rival the Twin Peaks one. They simply fell on deaf ears though, is it possible Sean is the Slasher?

it'd be a tough thing to do when Kumail Nanjiani's X-Files Files is already out there and is one of the most popular podcasts of this style. But that shouldn't necearily stop anyone. (Probably other reasons would stop them, like agreeing to do a rewarch podcast for a 200 episode show! X-Files Files skips a number of eps, though I guess.)

Danielle's mention of the Alien vs Predator thing at Universal's Halloween Horror Nights reminded me of the Alien War attraction at the Trocadero in London in the mid to late 90s, which was pretty much the same kind of thing. Shortly before they ran out of money and closed the whole thing down they had a "members event" thing and I met a whole bunch of people from the cast of the first two movies (none from the third, weirdly, considering it's chiefly British cast), including Al Matthews (Apone), Ricco Ross (Frost) and Veronica Cartright (Lambert from Alien). They all did the attraction too. I still have a photo of me with them all as a dorky Alien fanboy teenager with a ponytail somewhere. Ah, fun times.

There's no purpose to this tale, it just brought back a stupid memory. :)

it'd be a tough thing to do when Kumail Nanjiani's X-Files Files is already out there and is one of the most popular podcasts of this style. But that shouldn't necearily stop anyone. (Probably other reasons would stop them, like agreeing to do a rewarch podcast for a 200 episode show! X-Files Files skips a number of eps, though I guess.)

It also probably would be extra tough for the first few seasons since I think both Sean and Danielle said they only saw episodes from season 3 on.

Yeah, when Sean announced he would watch every single episode, I really felt for him. If he came in around season 5, he has no idea just how rough and just plain dull a lot of those pre-Clyde Bruckman episodes were.

I'd just like to say I'd love a Farscape rewatch podcast...