Chris

Twin Peaks Rewatch 1: Pilot

Dana Ashbrook does a damn good job as Bobby, I really like the character despite him being a pretty seedy guy. Very interesting to watch. James is like a useless uninteresting version of him, so I don't know why they didn't just go with more Bobby. Possibly James was kept on as long as he was because he was so integral to the original murder plot that they were stuck with him. Maybe sort of like the opposite of when TV shows write a regular part of an actor who originally just did a bit role but it went over so well that they had to keep them.

I don't see James and Bobby as serving the same purpose. James is exactly as boring as what he initially presents on the surface, unlike Bobby (and everybody else) who has at least one extra layer of secrets. James is a foil for the rest of the cast.

Put another way, James is Gilmore Girls' Dean.

I don't think Bobby's actor is like DiCaprio or some high octane actor, but my threshold for bad acting is pretty accepting (the only really "ugh, why?" scene was in the cell with the hooting.) But, whatever, some people are more critical, I get it. I think he has something decent to him.

To elaborate, I see a difference between a great dramatic performance and a relatively minor role of a guy playing a weird teenager and that doesn't bother me. He's not great, not abysmal.

Well I tried to read some forums on his acting ability and it seems like there's this idea that at some point

his storyline ends and he no longer appears on the show because of his acting ability. So maybe I quit a little too soon in Season 2, I was just getting really tired of whatever the hell was going on with his stupid road trip and this whole separate thing where he's sleeping with some guy's wife. I actually don't really believe they got rid of him because of his acting ability, because why would they give him so much screen time right before that?

most boring season 2 spoiler ever:

he gets on his motorcycle and rides away, never to return. He is basically Poochied.

most boring season 2 spoiler ever:

he gets on his motorcycle and rides away, never to return. He is basically Poochied.

My planet needs me.

Great cast! This is a really pleasant way of rewatching Twin Peaks.

Have you guys considered splitting the episodes into two separate files, one with current episode discussion and the other with spoilers for future episodes? This way you wouldn't have to spend so much time fretting over spoiling things for the first time listeners. Those listeners could simply listen to every other episode while watching the series, and then listen to the rest when they are done with the show (without needing to remember the time-stamps for the spoilers). This solution might not be very elegant but it would solve some of the problems at least.

Since the most elegant solution here is probably just 'use an app and pause', I'm going to assume those who would most benefit from split episodes are listening in a browser or can't easily reach the pause button. If it's the former, you can try Pocket Casts, which will save/sync your progress from its browser version, but you have to buy the app first.

We put a musical interlude in ep 2 and will likely continue to do that. Noting the split time is also a good idea.

We put a musical interlude in ep 2 and will likely continue to do that. Noting the split time is also a good idea.

Just listened to the second episode. The musical interlude probably gets the job done just fine. At least it was much less awkward than the way the split was handled in the first episode. 

The music was a great complement. It confused the hell out of me, though, when my phone was manipulated by my thigh through my pants and activated Scribblenauts. I thought it was a strange choice for BGM.

To partially answer the question asked about how much of the show's central plot was pre-written (huge spoilers, obviously)

"In the beginning," as Lynch noted during a talk he gave in Seattle a number of years back, "there wasn't any BOB." While shooting the pilot in an Everett, Wash., home that would be used for the Palmer residence on the show, a member of the crew joked to Silva, the set dresser, that he needed to make sure he didn't trap himself in Laura Palmer's room in the process of setting up for a scene. When Lynch heard the comment, it triggered something. "In my mind," Lynch continued, "I see Frank locked in that room. And I went rushing in to Frank, not knowing why I rushed in, really." He asked Silva if he was an actor, to which Silva answered in the affirmative. "So I said, 'Frank, I think you're going to be in this scene.'"

http://www.theawl.com/2013/01/bob-terror-twin-peaks

I kind of disagree with the notion that Twin Peaks is about modernity coming in and corrupting a sleepy, working class town. I thought the show was a statement on how that darkness was always present. This becomes more apparent when the more mystical parts of the show start dominating the plot. 

The Black Lodge, BOB, the repeated comments about how there has always been evil in the woods around Twin Peaks, etc

. That makes Cooper this tragically naive character, because he is so easily charmed by what seems like an idyllic town and he lets it get the best of him.

Really good first episode, excited for more!

I think this quote should be taken with context and with other interviews that Lynch and Frost have done.

While the specific character of BOB came out of happenstance, both Lynch and Frost have stated that there was always a dark supernatural element to the killer, how exactly it would have manifested was maybe not so clear at the beginning.

Great first episode guys! This was what finally pushed me into watching twin peaks. I am surprised how into the murder mystery plot I got with how much wacky stuff is going on in the periphery.

Having said that, kid dancing in the school in the background made me laugh out loud. 

the scene that has stayed with me is the one just before they announce Laura's death there is a girl running and screaming in the schoolyard. Donna then turns and see's an empty chair and then starts crying

Watching the international version of the pilot and at the 1:34 mark there is a face in the mirror above the mothers head

Watching the international version of the pilot and at the 1:34 mark there is a face in the mirror above the mothers head

It's quite a story, that. :)

EDIT: You can see it in the regular pilot too, but I think it might be a different take and is probably held for a shorter time.

Hi! I stumbled upon the rewatch podcast through the Twin Peaks subreddit, and I have been listening with great interest. Great show, guys!

I've searched the forums and couldn't find anything about this from anyone else so: As a Norwegian, I noticed that the translator makes a little joke at the end of the first scene with the Norwegians in the pilot which he doesn't translate. Just as the scene is ending, he translates the bit about how Sven's airsacks have never felt this good, and then says "Det var bra han ikke så buksene som han jogger i!" to a round of laughter.

That translates to "It's a good thing he didn't see the pants he jogs in!"

Just a little bit of trivia for all you non-Norwegians out there  :)

Hi! I stumbled upon the rewatch podcast through the Twin Peaks subreddit, and I have been listening with great interest. Great show, guys!

I've searched the forums and couldn't find anything about this from anyone else so: As a Norwegian, I noticed that the translator makes a little joke at the end of the first scene with the Norwegians in the pilot which he doesn't translate. Just as the scene is ending, he translates the bit about how Sven's airsacks have never felt this good, and then says "Det var bra han ikke så buksene som han jogger i!" to a round of laughter.

That translates to "It's a good thing he didn't see the pants he jogs in!"

Just a little bit of trivia for all you non-Norwegians out there  :)

Brilliant! Just shared this on another Twin Peaks forum.

I'm norwgian as well, and that whole scene was baffling and hilarious. I meant to comment on that very thing myself, but I wasn't really active here on the forums until recently, and I doubted they would be interested in a reader mail about such a silly thing.

I'm very sad that the norwegian businesspeople were phased out so quickly. I was really looking forward to more poorly translated norwegian shenanigans. :(

I doubted they would be interested in a reader mail about such a silly thing.

They really would have been. even for their own amusement if nothing else.

Watched the pilot two days ago, actually both the US and international versions. I'm also including the log lady intros for my viewing per episode. This is the third time I'm watching Twin Peaks. First was in 2000-2001 when the show was aired for the second time in Finland. I watched the show instead of reading well to my high school end exams. :D

I was just 8-9 years old when the show originally aired so I didn't even know it existed then. Around 3-4 years ago I tried to introduce Twin Peaks to my wife but she didn't really like it. We watched to about halfway to season 2. She didn't really know about the show because in Japan it was a cult thing for small group of people as it was shown only a small cable channel and my wife was just around 10 at that time.

Now my plan is to watch the whole show plus FWWM and the Missing Pieces. I've never seen the Missing Pieces so that's something new for me. I will also listen to each TP Rewatch podcast episode after I've watched and episode of the show. Then I'm ready for season 3.

The pilot was filled with so much fun small details. I thought the hoot hoot in the prison was hilarious especially when Lynch zoomed to Bobby's teeth. Also Bobby's mom with the scissors while on the phone with Laura's mom.

I said it already in Slack, but thanks @Jake and @Chris, this is a cool companion podcast!

Hello everyone!

my partner and I are watching this from the start after getting really into the return and finishing it. 

Some thoughts now that the fullest picture is available. (Although I haven’t watched the film yet- it was the gaps that motivated us to go back in with gusto). 

Firstly: Douglas Firs are the trees in twin peaks.  The completion of a trinity of doug’s?! :)

The parallels to series 3 are subtle and intriguing and sort of read onto this generational evil creep Chris refers to in the podcast. 

(Minor stuff from the return)

Spoiler

Specifically we see teens high on coke and driving in series 3 (Becky and Steven) in a car while a generation earlier the substance abused is alcohol. 

Im always creeped out with jacobi’s tie fiddling in this episode. It is so gross.  

Now that we have more of an idea of Dale cooper in series 3

Spoiler

I wonder if the idea of the latent evil under charming disguise is present more explicitly in Dale cooper than met the eye. The sheer thrill of the murder in the guy who also likes to immerse himself in bland location detail is really weird and striking. His excitement at  the stink of multiple murders linking is the same level of his enjoyment at the smell of the new trees. 

Finally we know leland Palmer is 

Spoiler

The murderer 

But I get zero sense that this is the intent at all At this point in time from his performance. 

Audrey’s song is played while Shelley and Bobby are in a car. :-O