SecretAsianMan

Good News Everyone

Whether you actually die when you get a kitten, or are just pretending to be dead.

True story: adult lions pretend to be injured when their cubs play-fight with them.

Lions are the embarassing-dads-who-act-out-over-drawn-death-sequences-when-their-kids-shoot-them-with-finger-guns of the animal kingdom.

Apocryphal story: adult lions pretend to be injured when their cubs play-fight with them.

Sorry to ruin it, teg. It's not true.

I have no idea what this thread is about anymore.

I'm keeping an eye out for happy news stories to get it back on track but I haven't seen any! (I figure the announcement of Tremors 5 is too frivolous.)

The first chapter of Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey, Part 1: Reborn: The Longest Title, is being released in a few days. That would count as good news?

Sorry to ruin it, teg. It's not true.

Aw poo.

I feel quite the fool.

I'm gonna post a weird good news thing thing, my wife with an opossum:

I was letting our dogs out late at night a few weeks ago and one caught this little thing and shook it, it was already still before I scared it off. I thought it was a humongous rat at first, but it was a very young opossum. It's mouth was wide open so I figured it was really dead. It wasn't until I went upstairs to bother my wife about it until I realized it might be playing dead. So I had her go check it out and then tell me what I should do if it is dead, like toss it in the trash or get it tested or something in case of rabies or infection to the biting dog. She's a lead vet tech at a local vet hospital so I pretty just consult her on everything now.

She thought it was dead too though because she picked it up and it was excreting tons of stuff out of it's anus and it seemed like rigor mortis set in. She put it in a little container since it was faintly breathing and we just started reading on in the internet about opossums playing dead. Apparently they really do play dead to an extreme degree, not like just flopping over for a bit until the animal goes away. Like opossums will stay in a catatonic state for hours, will secrete nasty liquid from it's glands to make it smell like a diseased carcass, and go completely stiff and have its eyes roll back.

We put it in a nice dark cat bag with a blanket because we were sure it wasn't dead, went to sleep, woke up and saw it seemed fine and alive, and my wife took it to work to make sure the dog didn't injure it at all. It was fine, no bite marks and was weirdly nice. She came home and was just holding it like it was her new pet and then I held it for a bit and it didn't seem like it was interested in being vicious. Then we let it go in the backyard again and I hope it's safe out there.

So opossums are really fucking good at tricking predators, like I am super impressed seeing this first hand. Also apparently they aren't aggressive and will avoid conflict. I guess I assumed they were aggressive because at my parents house growing up they used to invade our backyard for catfood and we had a large territorial killer cat who would fight them off, so it was always just these awful noises at night when it was most likely just the cat being the aggressor. Oh and you don't have to be afraid of rabies with an opossum because their temperature as marsupials is a few degrees lower than the usual mammal so they can't contract it in most cases (there's still a sliver of a chance).

Anyway, it was ugly and it was cute! GOODNEWS!

That's awesome! I'm actually quite find of opossums. We have a bunch that live around our property, and they've become quite unafraid of me, as I tend to hang out on the front porch at night and watch them go around the yard scavenging for stuff.

The best though is that each of the last two years we've had a mother raccoon and her brood visit our mulberry tree on a regular basis. A bunch of young raccoons stuffing themselves on mulberries is the CUTEST!

The first chapter of Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey, Part 1: Reborn: The Longest Title, is being released in a few days. That would count as good news?

YES

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES 

A bunch of young raccoons stuffing themselves on mulberries is the CUTEST!

we demand video evidence next time it happens!

The best though is that each of the last two years we've had a mother raccoon and her brood visit our mulberry tree on a regular basis. A bunch of young raccoons stuffing themselves on mulberries is the CUTEST!

I love watching raccoons! I don't ever really see them invade our yard though. Just once at a place I used to live there was one eating a bunch of loquats from the tree off the ground for about thirty minutes and I just sat there in awe.

Also once we went camping at Tyler State Park and there were raccoons constantly watching our camp ground up close and stealing food like feet away from us. They were not afraid at all and were being complete jerks. I tried chasing them with campfire logs to scare them, like I was going to whack them, but they would just back up and then return to stare at us after I give up. That was a pretty notable camping

experience though.

EDIT: All this raccoon talk needs a picture:

RACOONSETauber-797328.jpg

Good news everyone, you apparently can't get away with flagrant homophobia at DFW Airport in Texas as a group of passengers wrestled a man to the ground after he assaulted another passenger wearing a pink shirt for being a "queer" -

Bittersweet, of course, but still good news.

I love watching raccoons! I don't ever really see them invade our yard though. Just once at a place I used to live there was one eating a bunch of loquats from the tree off the ground for about thirty minutes and I just sat there in awe.

Also once we went camping at Tyler State Park and there were raccoons constantly watching our camp ground up close and stealing food like feet away from us. They were not afraid at all and were being complete jerks. I tried chasing them with campfire logs to scare them, like I was going to whack them, but they would just back up and then return to stare at us after I give up. That was a pretty notable camping

experience though.

EDIT: All this raccoon talk needs a picture:

RACOONSETauber-797328.jpg

ADORABLE! I keep trying to get good pictures of ours, but they're always out right after dusk and neither my camera nor my skill is good enough to get good shots of them.

Good news everyone, you apparently can't get away with flagrant homophobia at DFW Airport in Texas as a group of passengers wrestled a man to the ground after he assaulted another passenger wearing a pink shirt for being a "queer" -

Bittersweet, of course, but still good news.

Good news everyone, one of the guys tackling him is Paul Rudd.

[edit] Or maybe not. I want to believe. 

Yes, those homosexuals stick together.

(Just in case: jk)

Apparently, bright pink shirted guy actually broke or sprained his ankle while helping to intervene.  Probably sprained, as he was treated on site and released.

The police report has been released.

I'm reeeaaally weirded out by that police report. the guy only got a $500 fine for public intoxication and simple assault? Isn't it a pretty obvious hate crime?

Then I remembered it's Texas. Whee!

Posting this here instead of the sports thread, because ahhh, how fuckin' sweet is this kid:

Day after losing World Series, Royals rookie ace Ventura is out playing softball with a bunch of kids.

I'm not sure if this should go here or in the social justice thread, or in the feminism thread, but a recent study found that having an opinion in mixed gender groups improves productivity.  Anyway, it's good news above anything else!

Edit: Apparently the forum replaces the phrase "P0L1tical Correctness" with "having an opinion" in case the title is misleading

It's having opinions gone mad!