Chris

Idle Thumbs 179: Shadow of Something

It's actually a plugin that randomly replaces Chris' mentions of Trek with Wars to mess with nerds.

I must have the same plugin for my brain that activates anytime I'm near a co-worker who consistently and hilariously flips out over the error.

So much good ST discussion in this thread!

All of Trek is fascinating, from this point of view. Each show is generally progressive, and each made huge strides for TV. But each is also shackled by the constraints and crappy reigning attitudes of its era.

About halfway down this page, there is a discussion of what issues a future Trek series could tackle. As a giant Star Trek fan who finds the recent reboot / alternate universe films to be tedious action films, I've thought a lot about this very question. I think that while DS9 kind of hinted at this through its run, we've never seen what would happen if the Federation were to fail. I'd love to see a future where the Federation was not the glowing ideal throughout the galaxy. I'd also love to see a little bit more acceptance throughout the show (it's been great that character ethnicity / diversity has been championed throughout the series, yes), like, it's nice to have episodes that kind of dance around homosexuality, but damn if it wouldn't be awesome to have a queer captain. Maybe both the captain and the first officers are women. I know that there is this fear that Gene Roddenberry's ghost will haunt you if you twiddle with the specifics of his Federation, but damn if I wouldn't be happy to see a series that just shook everything up, without being a stupid reboot. What does a post-Federation galaxy look like? Who steps into power? The Romulans? Gah, I want more Star Trek every damn day. 

After the success of BSG and the resurgence of TV dramas, you'd think that Star Trek would be ripe ground for a new series.

When Chris asked "What does Pac-Man Do?" did anyone else immediately think "The purpose of the game is to navigate this maze."?

After the success of BSG and the resurgence of TV dramas, you'd think that Star Trek would be ripe ground for a new series.

Well they tried it with Stargate and it failed to capture an audience (despite, in my opinion, not being all that bad... not that it was great... it certainly wasn't another BSG).

Granted, Stargate is not Star Trek, but they're both incredibly long-running series/franchises.

About halfway down this page, there is a discussion of what issues a future Trek series could tackle. As a giant Star Trek fan who finds the recent reboot / alternate universe films to be tedious action films, I've thought a lot about this very question. I think that while DS9 kind of hinted at this through its run, we've never seen what would happen if the Federation were to fail. I'd love to see a future where the Federation was not the glowing ideal throughout the galaxy. I'd also love to see a little bit more acceptance throughout the show (it's been great that character ethnicity / diversity has been championed throughout the series, yes), like, it's nice to have episodes that kind of dance around homosexuality, but damn if it wouldn't be awesome to have a queer captain. Maybe both the captain and the first officers are women. I know that there is this fear that Gene Roddenberry's ghost will haunt you if you twiddle with the specifics of his Federation, but damn if I wouldn't be happy to see a series that just shook everything up, without being a stupid reboot. What does a post-Federation galaxy look like? Who steps into power? The Romulans? Gah, I want more Star Trek every damn day. 

There was a pilot written for a post-disaster Federation as part of a new series, which never saw the light of day except in storyboards. It was called Star Trek: Final Frontier, and it had some interesting bits in there, like a captain trying to recapture the Federation's spirit of exploration in the face of rampant paranoia. It looks like they ran with the concept a bit more, but since it's got no funding behind it, who knows if it'll ever get past this?

Smash is definitely still best when you're playing in front of friends, but I have been playing For Glory way too much. I found out recently my uni has regular Smash meetups though, which is awesome. 

Not a very revelatory article, but Damien Walter at the Guardian posted a brief reminder that some people in literature are just as discomfited by the moral landscape of Tolkien's legendarium as some people in games.