Chris

Twin Peaks Rewatch 0: The Pre-Episode

No, watch them on original betamax on an old tv. 

The Blu-ray boxset smells good, much better than The Sopranos one.

I believe your homework is the original pilot (not the international one) - it's 94 minutes long.

No, watch them on original betamax on an old tv. 

I think you're joking, but i'm not actually sure...

Netflix it is!

I'm actually marathoning the first few episodes this Sunday. i'll check back with mine and my unsuspecting friends' reactions. Should be good.

First time watching Twin Peaks for me... excited but apprehensive, because Lynch tends to give me a lot of anxiety for some reason.

I blame a bunch of capricious stoner girls that forced me to watch some of his films while high I guess... something about the weird non-sequitur genre backdoors around one of my brain's main firewalls and reads as being terrifying, like what I don't understand will someday destroy me.

So this is an experiment. I hope following the cast won't result in anything near the level of anxiety I'm capable of... is it weird that the notion of Chris and Jake as cultural conductors makes the ride feel safer to me? I could have watched this years ago but find myself admitting that I was afraid to on some weird level.

Hm.

Speaking of log lady, I'd forgotten all about her. Wow, they just straight up ripped her intro to create an entire character in Alan Wake.

Also I'm taking back what I said earlier, Bjorn. This is definitely a soap opera. The relationships in this show would keep a gamergater drawing red lines between pictures for DAYS. And that's just the first episode. Hoo boy.

...What's the etiquette for discussing the episodes in these threads? Obviously can't expect people reading this thread for the first time to have watched the pilot, so do we talk about it here and just put it all in spoiler tags? Or do we just wait for the associated podcast episode to come out and do our discussions there? The book club had pre-episode discussion threads, but those were also a whole month apart (OSTENSIBLY, UNTIL THEY WEREN'T).

I've only ever watched Lynch while sober, and his stuff is still terrifying. I watched the first half-hour of The Straight Story, which is ostensibly his most straight forward film, but I couldn't shake the feeling of paranoia that there was some undercurrent of his typical horror throughout. I've still got to finish watching that movie.

I'm a film student and occasionaly clips from Lynch's movies will be shown in sound design/editing class. One of my classmates had never heard of David Lynch and soon discovered that he can't handle watching any of his films, he will actualy leave the room whenever Lynch is screened for analysis/discussion. His film experience is quite immature and naive, and he describes himself as wanting to exclusively consume/produce "high-school dramas". He gets a bit of raillery (good-natured teasing) for being so easily scared by Lynch, but I find his response to be far more sincere and interesting than the jaded boasts from people who make fun of him.

Anyway I just wanted to say I empathise with Xeneth for avoiding Twin Peaks if you genuinely believe it might be too much to handle. I've only watched the pilot thus far (this podcast being the impetus I needed to finaly start watching TP) and there is one scene that scared the crap out of me forever. I'm fascinated by that. Hopefuly you'll find some value and safety in joining the Thumbs casters and listeners on this ride!

Question: Are the log lady intros a part of this rewatch?

I really don't care for them and don't consider them a real part of the show but I don't know chris' opinion. (I know a lot of people in the world really like them but I am not one of them.)

Also, this thread has me excited for the first episode.

Finished watching the pilot episode on Netflix, excited to hear the first episode of the podcast! 

So far in the pilot I have been enjoying the rebellious teenagers, kitschy small town vibe and the log lady. Laura's parents and friends seemed to know instantly that she is dead, despite the policeman saying nothing, and proceed to break down and wail loudly. Almost as if they know they're in a TV show, and should act as such. Maybe that's just me looking too hard for strangeness. 

If you keep looking that hard for strangeness it will be the end of your sanity by the end of season one.

I'm really excited for this podcast; I consider Twin Peaks a really fantastic show but I haven't seen it since it was released here as a big gold DVD box set when I was probably 16 or 17.  I've been holding off watching it again in case I go back and realise that my love for it was basically a product of having a stupid teenage brain that hadn't absorbed as much media as my (stupid) adult brain has, but this cast is giving me a great excuse to pick it up again.  I really look forward to everyones insightful discussion both on the cast and in the forums.  

In my current system of binge-watching every show ever except those I can't because they're currently airing, I'm finding it very hard to NOT watch episode two even though it's sitting right there in front of me.

I guess I'm a bad person.

Were you guys aware of the Twin Peaks visual soundtrack? It was a Japanese co-production (I assume?) issued on laserdisc at the show's peak.

Jump to 5:10 to see in the credits that the camera man was none other than Hideo Kojima.

Probably not THE Hideo Kojima, but still.

...Anyway I just wanted to say I empathise with Xeneth for avoiding Twin Peaks if you genuinely believe it might be too much to handle...

I've been avoiding it up 'till now because someone with as loose a grip on sanity/reality as I sometimes seem to have, carrying around some past negative experiences with Lynch's particular brand of weirdness... I lacked motivation! but I've finished the pilot now and I'm definitely along for (and down with) this ride.

I can tough out some heebie jeebies in part because of the motivation to be part of a cool discussion, empathize with others experiencing it for the first time, and "hang out" by proxy with people I like. Were it just me alone in a room, maybe I'd continue to opt out, but I think this context will make it more "okay", and by the sound of it at least one of you will empathize when I inevitably freak out and start typing in all caps about how something made me unable to sleep, heh.

Jump to 5:10 to see in the credits that the camera man was none other than Hideo Kojima.

Probably not THE Hideo Kojima, but still.

.....Oh man, I want to believe that's the real Hideo Kojima so bad...

I bet Kojima loves Twin Peaks.

Bit annoying, the SyFy channel has literally just finished a run of what i guess was both season, but i have managed to TiVo the movie

I'm in the UK

Both seasons are available to stream through amazon prime which has a 30 day free trial.... i think there's an app on the PS4 for amazon prime? i'll have to check tonight, but that appears to be the easiest way to access it