Urthman

Windows 10: "It wouldn't be right to call it Windows 9."

I definitely recognize the weirdness that is "i had over 500 apps and when i reduced the number below 500 the sidebar database didn't update" seems legit, but also I feel like 500 apps is a LOT. if i had my full steam library installed which i often feel is sort of silly in its excess it wouldn't be half the limit. 

My steam games alone would be twice the limit. D:

(I definitely don't have them all installed...)

I was able to install Windows 10 this morning, no issues so far but I only played around with a a bit, mostly digging through settings. I was glad that almost everything I had set in Windows 8 was carried over into the 10 settings automatically, they did reset my default browser, GG Microsoft.

here is another thing people might want to do: 

Disable Bing results in the start bar, also disables Cortana.
http://www.howtogeek.com/224159/how-to-disable-bing-in-the-windows-10-start-menu/

Disable Bing results in the start bar, also disables Cortana.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224159/how-to-disable-bing-in-the-windows-10-start-menu/

I know that I'm a total shill for Microsoft products, but by switching from google to bing I haven't paid for my Hulu+ subscription in over a year through their bing rewards program. I don't know if it's open to people outside the US, but I like it.

I know that I'm a total shill for Microsoft products, but by switching from google to bing I haven't paid for my Hulu+ subscription in over a year through their bing rewards program. I don't know if it's open to people outside the US, but I like it.

I just want Bing contained in internet browsers, not build into my OS, I might turn it back on to flirt with test out cortana, but for now I'm keeping it simple.

Dude, HULU isn't even available to people outside the US.

I use Bing Rewards to get Amazon gift cards, it's pretty nice and I really don't mind the results (aside from maps and videos, but I have trained myself to just navigate to Google Maps and YouTube when searching for those things).

Dude, HULU isn't even available to people outside the US.

I meant bing rewards being available to those outside the US.

I decided to enable backup and create system restore image in Windows 7 before the Windows 10 update hits, but I keep getting an error about there not being enough space to create a system image, when there totally is. Good times.

EDIT: I now know more about Volume Shadow Copies, System Reserved Partition, and Change Journal Records than I'd care to know, which is to say, I know something about these things.

Maybe I don't need to create system restore point after all...

I heard that problem has been solved in Windows 10. Try upgrading first and making the restore image later.

The upgrade process is supposed to be completely roll-back-able up to a month after the upgrade. Additionally, if any sort of hiccup happens during the process, it will auto-roll-back rather than upgrading and then giving you a list of broken things. I have seen this process in person, so I know it works in optimal conditions at least.

Are you trying to create a system restore point, or a complete system image? It's been a while since I've done a complete image, but they can be pretty huge, even larger than the amount of disk space actually used on the machine currently.

Are you trying to create a system restore point, or a complete system image? It's been a while since I've done a complete image, but they can be pretty huge, even larger than the amount of disk space actually used on the machine currently.

After some frustrating research, it seems that the issue is not with the space on the destination drive but with free space in the partitions to be backed up. I have plenty of space on C: for the creation of the shadow copy. However, windows also creates a copy of the system reserved partition and there I only have 7 MB out of 100 MB available, and I would need to have more. The normal, hidden and system files do not amount to 93 MB so I don't know what is taking all the space. For most people it seems, the system reserved partition is filled due to an anomaly in the Change Journal System which causes the change journal entries to be created in this small partition. You can delete the change journals by hand in cmd prompt to free up some space. Unfortunately, this did not free up enough space in my case.

I think I'll just give up and update to Windows 10 without a backup image. I don't need this shit.

I think I might take this opportunity to upgrade my dual boot Ubuntu 12 to Ubuntu 14 and transition over to that.

Like Windows 10 is (for the moment), it's free, I don't feel that its parent organization needs to aggressively exploit my data as part of its business plan, the PlayOnLinux application can deal with most Windows games I would want it to, and Ubuntu itself can do everything else that I'd need. I'll keep a gradually reduced Windows partition for anything else.

The major hurdle is redownloading games in Linux form which is going to take an age on my connection.

Are there any massive flaws with that approach that I'm overlooking? Better to know now...

Solitaire timed upgrade paywalls in Windows 10?

Now if it was an adorable, bullshit deflectingly cute kitten instead of Microsoft Corporation, well...

...no, no, not even then. Fuck that kitten. :tdown:

Solitaire timed upgrade paywalls in Windows 10?

Now if it was an adorable, bullshit deflectingly cute kitten instead of Microsoft Corporation, well...

...no, no, not even then. Fuck that kitten. :tdown:

I thought you were joking. 

Oh Microsoft.

Minesweeper for 8 already makes you pay $10 a year for no ads. They beefed up the game but there's no reason to ever pay that twice or more. Obnoxious.

So I had the little windows thing in my taskbar. I clicked the upgrade button, and input my email address. The web page told me "Cool you're in the queue! We'll let you know when you're ready to upgrade. Good luck!" I did that about dinner time last night, went to bed hours and hours later, and this morning haven't seen an email.

Is this how this is supposed to work?

So I had the little windows thing in my taskbar. I clicked the upgrade button, and input my email address. The web page told me "Cool you're in the queue! We'll let you know when you're ready to upgrade. Good luck!" I did that about dinner time last night, went to bed hours and hours later, and this morning haven't seen an email.

Is this how this is supposed to work?

They are moving the update out slowly. Not sure what the planned schedule is. Also the update will most likely download in the background then tell you when its ready to install, at least that is what happened to me.

that's also my impression. Seems to fix issues I had with 8. I'd like to switch to the new browser (edge, i guess, its IE with new chrome) but it doesn't have plugin support yet (seems like thats coming) and I rely on that for 1password.

I got the update going yesterday, and have been fiddling with things last night and today.  I've got to say, I'm really enjoying it.  It really zips with the new SSD I recently installed... I hadn't seen as much of a change as I thought I would when I originally installed the drive, boot times were still a little long which I attributed to just needing to do a fresh install, so I was going to get 10 working and then do a refresh after.  However I don't think I even need it!  I can boot from powered off in well under ten seconds, boot from sleep in less than five!  At that point it seems silly to count because I spend more time typing a password than watching it power on.

I haven't run into any problems yet, everything I use on a day to day basis program wise seems to be working great, even hardware monitoring stuff and any of the various games I've played.  I don't know whether those would have been problems or not though!

Forced the update (thanks, tabacco). At first my second monitor wasn't detected and I couldn't get the Geforce Experience program to work. Finally looked in Device Manager and noticed a warning indicator that my GPU wasn't working properly and that the system needed a restart.

Now I have my second monitor, but it fucked up my color calibration profiles so it's likely I'll have to recalibrate my displays soon to get them back to where they should be.

Hopefully nothing else is broken.