Urthman

Windows 10: "It wouldn't be right to call it Windows 9."

I'm overdue an upgrade and since most of my components are creaking with age I'll probably have to change so much that windows will deem it 'too much!' and un-genuine itself (what a helpful feature) so I'll probably upgrade to 10 when that happens.

I just looked it up, the license is tied to the motherboard.

Win 8.1 is great, but the damn start button is broken all the time, so I want to upgrade just because of that. So idiotic.

Where do I got to sign up?

I actually like upgrading to a new OS and learning all its quirks so that's why I'm upgrading!!!

And over an hour after I asked how to sign up, I see windows has sneakily put a little icon down there for me.

EDIT: I started searching again for a solution to fixing the start button problem and I finally found a permanent solution so I no longer have to use a batch file to restart explorer and therefore close all my folders. This person also figured out how to trigger it. From here:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a007e827-9c50-4cb5-ac4a-6228f900e322/start-button-and-charms-stop-working-in-windows-81

This is a bug in Win 8.1 which I can replicate at will.

To force the bug to appear:

1. Grab a desktop Icon (recycle bin, any shortcut) and move this up to the top left hand corner without letting go of the mouse button. Drop shortcut anywhere on desktop. Without an Icon the mouse pointer would initiate the recent apps.

2. To check that the first step has worked, try and invoke charms by moving mouse to top right hand corner.  If Charms do not appear then the bug has been triggered.

3. Now move mouse over start button (no click), move away then back again. Now the start button is locked.  If you unlock the taskbar you can move it to any other position (top, left or right) and the start button works.  Move taskbar back to the bottom and the start button still does not work.  Only way to get it working again is to restart window explorer in task manager.

To avoid this happening all you need to do is disable recent apps corner.

1. Right click desktop.

2. Click Taskbar and Navigation

3. Click Navigation tab in the properties window

4. Uncheck "When I click the upper-left corner, switch between my recent tabs."

Now the bug cannot be triggered as above to make the start button stop working. You have to remove the feature which is pretty hopeless on a desktop anyway.  Its better than restarting Window explorer every time.

I can replicate this on any desktop PC or laptop. Not sure about any touch screen machines. I also can trigger this in VMPlayer and the Modern IE images that MS provide.

So maybe this will help those of you that encounter this bug. That is unless you were using the little drop down menu to switch applications. I'm forever going to instantly press Alt Tab so I never used it. I also never actually press the start button to go to the app screen, I always press the Win key on the keyboard, but I do like to right click the start button for multiple things when I need to mess with settings. Much faster.

I can't be the only one expecting Windows 10 to include a feature called Covenant. Some kind of robust permissions management.

I actually like upgrading to a new OS and learning all its quirks so that's why I'm upgrading!!!

Yeah, this! :tup:

I'm overdue an upgrade and since most of my components are creaking with age I'll probably have to change so much that windows will deem it 'too much!' and un-genuine itself (what a helpful feature) so I'll probably upgrade to 10 when that happens.

I think it's usually tied to the motherboard, so you might be okay..!

I can't be the only one expecting Windows 10 to include a feature called Covenant. Some kind of robust permissions management.

Should rename the registry 'covenant'

I'm going to upgrade because I avoided 8 completely (except at work) but DirectX12 is a big one. I figure on spending a lot of time figuring out how to make the start menu not be horrible tho :/

Yeah I'm going to upgrade because at the moment DirectX 12 is only coming to Windows 10. Microsoft may go back on that and offer it to older versions down the line, but since game performance is very important to me I feel like it's enough to get me onto this particular bandwagon.

Anyway, isn't the rule with Windows that it alternates between good and bad versions? If 7 was good and 8 was bad, surely 10 (for some reason not 9) should be good?

(for some reason not 9)

Most people have speculated they skipped 9 to avoid the version checking bugs that would happen when people (lazily) wrote to check for windows 95/98 as starting with a 9.

Also Microsoft obviously doesn't care about continuity in sequences of numbers (Xbox -> Xbox 360 -> Xbox One)

Also Microsoft obviously doesn't care about continuity in sequences of numbers (Xbox -> Xbox 360 -> Xbox One)

I have been wondering whether they just reboot the franchise next time and simply call it "the Xbox".

I have been wondering whether they just reboot the franchise next time and simply call it "the Xbox".

I hope they start counting back down and call it either the Xbox 2 or "Xbox Zero - The Witching Hour"

Hire me Microsoft, I have big ideas for your products.

I hope they start counting back down and call it either the Xbox 2 or "Xbox Zero - The Witching Hour"

Hire me Microsoft, I have big ideas for your products.

It's going to be called the Xbox 5. I'm calling it now.

I think it's usually tied to the motherboard, so you might be okay..!

I just looked it up, the license is tied to the motherboard.

Thanks both but I'll probably have to upgrade that since I'm rocking an i7 920 on a 1366 socket board. Pretty much everything apart from the RAM and PSU needs

replacing :)

Just did the reservation thing on my Surface Pro3 will try out windows 10 there before putting it on my gaming tower.

10 (for some reason not 9) should be good?

Windows 7 ate nine (source: Apple cider)

That joke was made about a billion times on twitter the second they announced it was going to be called Windows 10.

It looks like the upgrade will just install itself directly on top of your current configuration to me, does that sound right? I was kind of looking forward to having an excuse to format and clean up my computer a bit.

That joke was made about a billion times on twitter the second they announced it was going to be called Windows 10.

It looks like the upgrade will just install itself directly on top of your current configuration to me, does that sound right? I was kind of looking forward to having an excuse to format and clean up my computer a bit.

Yeah, I was looking forward to doing the same. Wanted to use it as an excuse to upgrade to an SSD.

Yeah. From the sound of it, it'll do an in-place upgrade, and as part of that it'll convert your existing license key to a Win10 license key.

Then, from there, you could do a fresh Win10 install using your old Win7/8 license key.

I dunno if anyone noticed but there was a lot of "exclusive for Windows 10" going on at E3, from Microsoft. So y'know, that shit is underway.

Best discovery of the day is that Windows 10's version number will actually be 10.0, not 6.3 or some nonsense.

During the PC Gamer/AMD E3 thing the developers seemed excited about Directx12. I assume that's only going to be on Windows 10.

I'm going to upgrade this fall and hope everything I use continues to work.

Does anyone know what the deal is with Minecraft and Windows 10? I can't tell what is speculation and what is real. The impression I get from reading the NeoGaf thread is that upgrading to Windows 10 means that I can only play Pocket Edition. To be honest, I don't know how to do much in that game beyond building stuff with blocks, but I do like the massive expanses that I can explore. Pocket Edition has an invisible wall. 

Windows 10 will be getting a new version of Minecraft.  If you've already purchased the current PC version of the game you'll be able to get the Windows 10 version for free, otherwise it will cost $10 during the beta period.  The thing about the Pocket Edition is that the Windows 10 version will support playing with Pocket Edition players both online and local.  Basically I imagine that you could create a world on a desktop and have someone playing on their phone hop into that world.