Urthman

Windows 10: "It wouldn't be right to call it Windows 9."

Microsoft is holding a Windows 10 event right now.  I'm too busy at the moment to follow it very closely but one thing I did see was that users of Windows 7, 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 can get a free upgrade to Windows 10 for the first year.

The major gaming thing that I saw about Windows 10 is that it can act as a terminal for Xbox One streaming much like you can remote play to a Vita with a PS4. I think it's really neat but ultimately a half-step, as a real power move would be to have a 360 streaming client so every old 360 could effectively be an Xbox One if you've got a One in the house.

I guess there's also DX12, but I haven't gotten a chance to read up on it yet. The free upgrade thing is very cool, but I wonder if you get a normal key so that if you reformat you can install Windows 10 or if you're stuck buying it again if you're not "upgrading" + you're not in that 1-year window.

I'm a little excited about this, but when I rebuilt my PC in december I used one of those ultra fast samsung M.2 drives, and I'm a little nervous about switching OSs. 

I wonder why they don't release Xbox Dashboard as their own "Steam"? and let PC users run Xbox only titles? 

For the same reason that Sony can't release a client that allows people to play PlayStation games on their computer.

Unless they do streaming, which is basically what this Xbox announcement is.

So I'm reading about the new additions to Windows 10 that were unveiled yesterday, and...

Also, Spotlight now serves as a slow-going tutorial of sorts. Belfiore demoed how Windows knows what services you’re using on the operating system, and if you’ve neglected Cortana for a couple weeks, the lockscreen will tell you all about the voice assistant and how to use it.

How about if I obviously don't need a service, you don't try to goad me into using it? Ugh.

But Tegan, you can't neglect Cortana.  She will be sad. 

I like how this basically amounts to Clippy asking you if you've heard about Clippy. 

The major gaming thing that I saw about Windows 10 is that it can act as a terminal for Xbox One streaming much like you can remote play to a Vita with a PS4. I think it's really neat but ultimately a half-step, as a real power move would be to have a 360 streaming client so every old 360 could effectively be an Xbox One if you've got a One in the house.

I guess there's also DX12, but I haven't gotten a chance to read up on it yet. The free upgrade thing is very cool, but I wonder if you get a normal key so that if you reformat you can install Windows 10 or if you're stuck buying it again if you're not "upgrading" + you're not in that 1-year window.

Or just make it so you can play Xbox 360 games on your Xbox One. That would be way more feasible.

It's not that I have anything against Cortana, it's that I feel an OS should streamline itself to match its user instead of needlessly pestering them about its other features. Just tuck those features away somewhere if they're not being used.

What I'm reminded of more than anything is something I remember reading about the development of Windows 8, when they were adding the Ribbon interface to Explorer. They had been taking notes about what features a sample of users were using and how frequently, making more commonly-used actions like Copy, Paste, etc into larger buttons on the UI. But they also said that they found certain functions that 0% of users used, and instead of removing the things that literally nobody used, they decided to just make their buttons smaller.

I have a hard time believing you won't be able to hard disable the feature if you don't want it.

I can entirely believe it'd be impossible or very hard to disable until people get pissed enough that Microsoft are forced to change it. Remember Metro?

What I hate about Windows 8.1 is that my god damn start button never works after a certain amount of time from a fresh restart unless I run a reset.bat file I have set in my quicklaunch tool bar.

I mean I have the muscle memory to press the windows key when I want to go to metro interface, but I like to right click on the windows button for control panel and crap as well as drive management.

I am amazed no one has fixed this bug so far on any update and that all the solutions require running an idiotic shortcut that only does a temporary fix. It's a really glaring broken thing in an otherwise good (yes I think it's good) operating system and basically makes me want my Win10 update just so the fucking button works consistantly again.

What I hate about Windows 8.1 is that my god damn start button never works after a certain amount of time from a fresh restart unless I run a reset.bat file I have set in my quicklaunch tool bar.

I mean I have the muscle memory to press the windows key when I want to go to metro interface, but I like to right click on the windows button for control panel and crap as well as drive management.

I am amazed no one has fixed this bug so far on any update and that all the solutions require running an idiotic shortcut that only does a temporary fix. It's a really glaring broken thing in an otherwise good (yes I think it's good) operating system and basically makes me want my Win10 update just so the fucking button works consistantly again.

Holy shit, I thought I was the only one who was having this bug. It's so annoying.

It sucks even more that everytime I look it up to see if there's a fix, I either come across the same reset explorer answer or people saying to check for spyware.

WHY MICROSOFT WHY?

Microsoft is holding a Windows 10 event right now.  I'm too busy at the moment to follow it very closely but one thing I did see was that users of Windows 7, 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 can get a free upgrade to Windows 10 for the first year.

I got a notification from Windows 7 inviting me to reserve my free copy of Windows 10. Are people here going to take them up on this?

On the one hand it's a free copy of the latest Windows, on the other hand Windows 7 is sturdy and installed and it seems like "reserving" it entails the auto-download of the 3 gig install package which, due to my small-SSD-for-Windows-large-HDD-for-everything-else set up, would kind of force my hand to immediately switch.

Yeah, I really don't need *more* SSD space being taken up when I'm prefectly happy with 7.

What is supposed to be better about 10? Have they espoused any worthwhile features? I bought a new computer that's gonna have a free upgrade to 10 but I'll likely want to just tell it not to bother.

Direct X 12 and Xbox One streaming seem to be the most notable things at this particular moment. Also, "fixing Windows 8" if you're a person who feels like W8 needs to be fixed and you have any confidence that Microsoft can do it.

I specifically opted for Windows 7 on my computer out of lack of confidence for 8, and I have no XBONE but I guess I should pay attention to Direct X if I'm going to be making games.

My general concern is that Microsoft has no real regard for what consumers want, instead opting to develop what they consider important. Like touch interfaces, a windows store etc.

There's the new not-internet-explorer rolling out with Win10 as well.

I have a surface that I plan on updating to Windows 10 if they make it fairly painless. I think I'll stick on Win7 for my primary machine for a little bit yet. 

I plan on updating, mostly because I have a windows phone that will also get a free update to 10, and I have really liked the way they've taken the OS. I understand why other people don't like it though.

I'm overdue an upgrade and since most of my components are creaking with age I'll probably have to change so much that windows will deem it 'too much!' and un-genuine itself (what a helpful feature) so I'll probably upgrade to 10 when that happens.

I'm also running Windows 7 now and I plan to upgrade both my work and home computers.