Urthman

Windows 10: "It wouldn't be right to call it Windows 9."

We need to go further back to the very root of modern language and find what word truly captures what a window really is, a Portal through which we see the world, a Aperture.

I'd say Windows 9 is HL3 since Windows 10 is probably going to come out.

...wait a second.  What if HL3 was being made as a Windows 9 exclusive?  It explains everything!

Tech Radar goes with W1nd0ws. My god I hope that catches on.

I think they should just add more drop shadow effects and call it Shadow of Windows.

I'm really not trying to seem like a luddite or OS hipster who only likes the old stuff, but I haven't yet seen a compelling reason to go to 8, let alone WinX (wait, maybe that's a better suggestion.. [WinX ;) ]).

Windows X

WINDOSX

New Super Mario Bros. Windows

Windows In Space

Windows: First Glass

Halo 6

I think I've got it. It incorporates the 10, as X, and removes the problem Microsoft has had with forum trolls replacing their "S" with dollar signs:

WinDouX

My french is non-existent, but as an added bonus, I think it'd translate as "Sweet Win".

I think they should just add more drop shadow effects and call it Shadow of Windows.

I'm really not trying to seem like a luddite or OS hipster who only likes the old stuff, but I haven't yet seen a compelling reason to go to 8, let alone WinX (wait, maybe that's a better suggestion.. [WinX ;) ]).

8 is literally garbage. When it came out and everyone was complaining about how horrible it was, I figured that it was probably mostly just hyperbole because people don't like change. But they weren't kidding! It's easily the least useable operating system I've ever encountered (and I ran Slackware Linux for years). And I have 8.1, which was supposedly a big improvement over the original release.

The problem with Windows 8 really was that Microsoft were making changes for themselves, since a lot of consumers didn't want the changes. And clearly they don't care about giving consumers what they want while MS still retains majority market share.

I've been playing with an Evaluation Release of Windows 10. It's much better than Windows 8, but only because it's more like Windows 7.

I heard 8 was terrible and 8.1 seems fine, once you've changed that setting that makes it boot to desktop instead of panels. I only use it as a launcher for games though.

I was briefly excited about virtual desktops, until I realized that I was excited about a feature I've been using on my Macbook for years. At least they're trying to catch up.

I don't know, I run 8.1 and I really like it. I had 8 for a second and didn't know how to get to anything, but 8.1 is great once you get used to it. I prefer also right clicking on the start button to get a menu of all of the important stuff.

Also I prefer the metro screen to get to all of my applications and I really don't need the start menu back. Why are they doing this? Start menu was shit unless you had quick launch icons (which I have in 8.1, since I have needed 'em since XP). Like who wants to click start, hover a menu option for half a second, go to another menu, hover, click the program, and then wait? And if you wanted to drag and drop a shortcut to another submenu it was absolutely finicky and obnoxious. So with the Metro screen, you pin your stuff that's important and use sometimes and the rest of your applications are one click from there without hovering. Plus the windows key on the keyboard quickly gets you there and if you are already using with a hand on the bottom left of the keyboard and a mouse 100% of the time on the computer, then it's pretty natural.

But then again, I still boot to desktop and click my quick launch icons to this day which were disabled by default in Vista and 7, so I might be the one who is insane.

Doing anything besides hitting the windows key and typing the name of the thing I need is just alien to me.