Urthman

Windows 10: "It wouldn't be right to call it Windows 9."

I just wanted to stand up and give a long, slow golf clap to whichever marketing drone over at Microsoft came up with that deliciously brazen non-explanation for why they're skipping the number 9 on the new version of Windows.

Last year this was an April Fool's joke:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2613504/microsoft-windows/microsoft-windows-microsoft-skips-too-good-windows-9-jumps-to-windows-10.html

[This is an April Fools' story. It is fiction, though it contains facts. -- Ed.]

Fnar!

I wonder if Microsoft are doing this just to grab attention. Because if so, it seems a bit… Steve Ballmer in a spinning bow tie.

So as someone who missed the announcement, where should I go to read what's new / better / worse? Or, if it's easier, is there a bullet point list someone can make? Is it still a mobile interface on desktop (which I -loathe-)?

So as someone who missed the announcement, where should I go to read what's new / better / worse? Or, if it's easier, is there a bullet point list someone can make? Is it still a mobile interface on desktop (which I -loathe-)?

This was the top result when I searched Google for 'Windows 10' which seems as good an overview as any:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29431412

Probably the biggest thing that stands out to me is multiple desktops. Christ, it's about time Windows got that seeing as Linux and OS X have been toting it for years and years.

No more touch interface on desktop/laptop. You can get to the touch stuff if you want to, but it is easy to avoid. 

Here is a short video 

By5MhZJCQAAQPAs.png

I don't think this is true. 

So they basically think the mistake they made was moving too fast, not that they made changes people don't want. So they're still trying to make those changes, but slower.

I thought it was a similar reasoning behind xbox original to xbox 360 - because then they can look like their on the same version as OS X, and not lagging behind. (Just like the PS3/360)

I know it was true for 95 and Vista's version numbers, where lots of things would break if they changed them too much, but I don't think anything is able to check the name of the operating system and get 'Windows 9*' back.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was.  Take a look at this.  Now, not all of these code snippets from open repositories is actually an instance of this (so that number of results coming to 4,300 isn't really right), but if you go page by page, you see a lot of instances of that snippet of code.  Since one of MS' big deals is trying to keep all the legacy software running on new versions, requiring a bunch of modifications to existing software to remove the ambiguity so that you can keep your version numbering consistent doesn't seem like a good trade.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was.  Take a look at this.  Now, not all of these code snippets from open repositories is actually an instance of this (so that number of results coming to 4,300 isn't really right), but if you go page by page, you see a lot of instances of that snippet of code.  Since one of MS' big deals is trying to keep all the legacy software running on new versions, requiring a bunch of modifications to existing software to remove the ambiguity so that you can keep your version numbering consistent doesn't seem like a good trade.

Oh snap, excellent catch. I didn't realise you could pull the OS name like that.

Yeah, this is very credible.

No more touch interface on desktop/laptop. You can get to the touch stuff if you want to, but it is easy to avoid. 

Here is a short video 

*snip*

Honestly the only thing I cared about in that video was the command prompt changes. But I mean yeah, if it behaves like a regular desktop otherwise then I can dig it. I've never needed my OS to be anything more than the layer everything I do sits on; I don't need the OS itself to be fancy or entertaining.

Edit - And thanks for the video link!

But they should just give it a name instead of a number, rather than skipping straight to 10! Perhaps they don't want to remind people of Vista...

Rebooting things is all the rage.  They should just call it Windows.  Start over fresh, reintroduce people to their brand.

Rebooting things is all the rage.  They should just call it Windows.  Start over fresh, reintroduce people to their brand.

The Windows

Once we let you see the future, now you can enter it.  Step into: Microsoft Doors.