Chris

Idle Thumbs 178: CS Losers

Oh yeah Spyro was from Insomniac. The property was abandoned for Ratchet and Clank on PS2 for similar reasons in the way Naughty Dog abandoned Crash Bandicoot for Jak and Daxter. Something to do with Universal having a stake in the rights with both Crash and Spyro even though they were (mostly) Sony published properties. So they basically had IPs that gave money to a third company that sort of did nothing but own the rights and therefore profit from the fruits of their labors. I am probably off in many respects. I thought Sean really wanted to work at Insomniac as he said on a way earlier podcast. I am disappoint.

But this is a useless post because this episode ultimately has absolutely nothing to do with this.

That quick mention of Yum! at the end of the episode reminds me of working at a Pizza Hut in the early 2000s and reading through the corporate quarterly magazine.  There was this incredible piece of marketing about opening the first Taco Bell in China.  I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something like this:

YUM! Brands is excited to introduce the people of China to the exciting world of Mexican Cuisine with our first Taco Bell opening in *whatever city it opened in*.  For the first time, a major chain will be serving classic Mexican Cuisine that people around the world have been loving for years, like the Chalupa™, the Mexican Pizza™ and Grilled Stuffed Burritos™!  We can't wait to introduce our friends in the East to these exciting new flavors from our neighbors to the South.

At the time, it was just one of the most exuberant pieces of marketing bullshit I had ever seen.

Steve linked the Steam page for Road Redemption so I sat myself down for the trailer. I'm a little wary of there being guns, but it's very much like a revival of what Road Rash was with a lot of additions. And it's only $20 so I'm in on that like a motherfucker.

Edit - http://store.steampowered.com/app/300380/

Also I wonder what the music in the game is like. If it isn't (butt) rock, I may have to custom playlist things up.

As soon as Uwe Boll was mentioned, I immediately thought "oh man I hope they bring up the idea of Danielle boxing him." Best.

Also, films directed by Uwe Boll include House of the Dead, Postal, Alone in the Dark and Alone in the Dark II, three movies based on Dungeon Siege called In the Name of the King, all three Bloodrayne movies, a fucking scene-for-scene parody of Bloodrayne 3 called "Blubberella" starring most of the same cast, and goddamn FAR CRY.

Somehow I missed In the Name of the King 3, but I can say for certain that Alone in the Dark 2 was only produced by Boll, because, well...

post-8476-0-99319200-1412206317_thumb.jpeg

Also missing Tekken 2 & Need for Speed. Everything in the left column I've watched recently. Does anyone want to start a terrible movie club? THE ONLY WAY TO QUELL THE SICKNESS IS TO SHARE IT

Weird side note: Boll also produced Zombie Massacre (in the right column), which is technically supposed to be a video game adaptation, but the game is currently vaporware, with no real updates on its progress for a good while now. It's apparently a rather rote, low-budget zombie movie.

Oh man, yessssssss.

Why is it that Ace Attorney is still the only good video game adaptation?

I need to retire "Oh noooo" at least from the podcast :/

Oh no, don't get rid of it. It's yours now, make it better than McElroy ever could.

That quick mention of Yum! at the end of the episode reminds me of working at a Pizza Hut in the early 2000s and reading through the corporate quarterly magazine.  There was this incredible piece of marketing about opening the first Taco Bell in China.  I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something like this:

At the time, it was just one of the most exuberant pieces of marketing bullshit I had ever seen.

I have never had a more surreal experience than when I was driving a long haul through Louisville, KY and saw the massive fiberglass letters "Yum!" rising out of the early morning mist. That's right, the stadium is the Louisville KFC Yum! Center. It was possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

YUM! Brands is excited to introduce the people of China to the exciting world of Mexican Cuisine with our first Taco Bell opening in *whatever city it opened in*.  For the first time, a major chain will be serving classic Mexican Cuisine that people around the world have been loving for years, like the Chalupa™, the Mexican Pizza™ and Grilled Stuffed Burritos™!  We can't wait to introduce our friends in the East to these exciting new flavors from our neighbors to the South.

HAHAHA, "classic Mexican Cuisine."

Don't get me wrong, I love me some TB, but I don't remember Mexican Pizza and Grilled Stuffed Burritos being a part of my Mexican cooking or something I ever heard my grandma said she was going to cook.

I have never had a more surreal experience than when I was driving a long haul through Louisville, KY and saw the massive fiberglass letters "Yum!" rising out of the early morning mist. That's right, the stadium is the Louisville KFC Yum! Center. It was possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

I, too, have had that surreal experience.

I've never eaten Taco Bell, or been inside a Taco Bell. I'm not sure I've ever even seen a Taco Bell.

I'm some sort of freak of nature.

NO! Louisville is actually really cool. I work a handful of blocks away from the KFC YUM! CENTER and that place is a black mark on our otherwise pretty rad city. Also Papa Johns dude has a big ass house here. We are the shitty fast food capital, but are somehow still pretty cool. Also our most well known record store had to shut down a few years back and a fucking Panera is there now.

I'm going to go lie down.

I've never eaten Taco Bell, or been inside a Taco Bell. I'm not sure I've ever even seen a Taco Bell.

I'm some sort of freak of nature.

Unhealthy, yet tasty.

The only thing I am strictly against there is the "Crunch Wrap Supreme." It barely has anything inside it; they just use the tortilla and some diced tomato (not much) to puff it up.

(Disclaimer, I haven't finished listening to the episode yet, so I don't know if this was mentioned.)

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective seems like a modern update to Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. Wow, I miss that game, and if it is in fact similar, I can't wait to play it!

I believe someone told the developer that they were on hole 3200 or so and the guy told him that they could probably stop at that point.

Not suspicious at all... there must be something great at hole 10,000!

Man, I don't know how you guys stand Taco Bell. I'll eat it if it's given to me, but everything there tastes like sugar was added. I mean I know it's not Mexican food, but god damn it. I prefer Taco Cabana but even then, I'd rather dine in somewhere. There's not really any great Tex Mex in Austin, Texas, it's too far north and white people filled. I miss Houston. ;(

Also chalupa doesn't have to reference Taco Bell at all, it's just a giant bowl tortilla chip with beans, cheese, and guacamole. Something like that. It's all nearly the same ingredients everywhere.

I think there's one Taco Bell in Australia? We have access to a lot of great cuisine but Mexican is definitely not one of them.

I think there's one Taco Bell in Australia? We have access to a lot of great cuisine but Mexican is definitely not one of them.

When I got back to America after living in Greece, the first thing I ate was Mexican food. The second thing I ate was Taco Bell. Like Syn said, they are separate kinds of food, although I have soft spots for both. Soft spots because of both?

I'm about 18 minutes in so far. Based on Sean's enthusiasm about CS, I predict that in about five weeks he will be start a new podcast called "Counter Terrorism Today" which will immediately be picked up by flocks of chronically terrified people who will subsequently be disappointed to find out that it is about a video game.

I'd probably say the Enchantment Under The Sea Dance sequence is my favourite bit of 2 - excellent how they use climaxes from the first film to provide new climaxes for the second. It's a storytelling device that only a time-travel sequel could do; I think Star Trek is the only other franchise to do it, with their anniversary Trials And Tribble-ations episode.

Chris watched Trials And Tribble-ations, his very first Star Trek episode, this week. Coincidence?

As we're talking about Sherlock Holmes:

Gillette was also responsible for establishing some of the now-familiar traits associated with the famed detective, including his deerstalker hat, his curved pipe, the phrase “This is elementary,” his use of a violin, magnifying glass, and syringe...

Is this true? I'm surprised not even the violin was in the original stories (I read them up to Reichenbach Falls about ten years ago).

20 minutes of CS talk? This is already the best episode in ages. Also gives me an excuse to post a CS video.