Tanukitsune

Clicker Heroes: Cookie Clicker the RPG a.k.a. I CAN'T STOP SEND HELP!

Oh dear...

I don't know if it's as humorous as Cookie Clicker, but the heroes you hire have funny definition? *goes back to clicking*

Oh right, what do you guys think? *click* *click* I can't stop.... *click* HELP! *click*

is this cookie clicker + Progress Quest? 

I ask because the page seems to be broken. 

Strange, it's still working for me. And it's like Progress Quest in a sense, except you wait for HP bar to empty instead of filling up?

I think it's really more like Cookie Clicker, the heroes you hire have upgrades that feel "Cookie Clicker-ish"?

I loaded it, had a browser crash, and then haven't been able to load it again since.

Which, really, is probably a good thing.

Yeah, I totally lost at least 15 minutes to it before I could muster the willpower to shut the tab.

Wow, I just found out that the game actually plays itself when you turn off your PC, did Cookie Clicker do that too?

I lost about a week to this fucking game.

I ended up stopping way, way later than I normally do, when I realised that the only things left to see were some of the ancients and the centurion bosses past the first one.

There's two bits where it really starts to slow down: when you're about to unlock Grant and Frostbite, and at around level 140 where Frostbite's levels stop mattering and you have to level Treebeard up to level 1000. At that point you're supposed to restart, bank your hero souls, and get a tasty DPS boost to zoom through the levels.

I have a real problem with incremental games because it's initially so easy to see what's over the next horizon, and then it becomes slower and slower and apparently this is a massive trap for me and I haven't learnt to deal with it yet.

I was about to say the same thing, I'm at level 55 monsters and it's really slowing down. At least with Cookie Clicker weird things could happens and Elder Gods take over and turn your grannies into monsters... who still make cookies?

It's not really a patch on Candy Box, though, which I think is by far the best of these*; they all use the promise of something interesting just over the next horizon, but I think only Candy Box and maybe A Dark Room have actually had something over that next horizon where you think "yes, this was worth seeing".

*and Candy Box had balance problems that stalled me out I think half-way through, which gives you an idea of how these games frequently leave a sour taste in my mouth despite me regularly falling for them.

I'm half ignoring the game now, unless I missed something, grinding seems to increase exponentially between boss battles and now I'm barely paying attention and only checking ever 30 minutes or so. I know this kind of games are mostly to talk about grinding and expectation in games, but when it's getting worse than the real thing, it's not funny anymore? If it weren't for the fact that I don't even have to really play except for boss battles (and I can even let the computer handle it if I grind enough) I'd quit, but morbid curiosity will only take you so far.  

If y'all are into incremental games, I quite like the kitten one: http://bloodrizer.ru/games/kittens/#

There's a pretty deep crafting system as the game unfolds where it's not just a case of waiting for numbers to increase.

Protip: there is starvation in the winter so at the very beginning it's best not to go beyond 2 kittens until you have a fairly robust agricultural infrastructure in place.

Other protip if you have things that require resources you can't produce: if you've unlocked trade, sometimes resources will be produced randomly as incidental benefits to trade (i.e. not listed as one of the things you get from the trade).

This applies for blueprints and titanium. Trading with anyone has a chance to produce blueprints, titanium is trickier:

titanium requires trading with zebras which require a trade ship to unlock

I'm half ignoring the game now, unless I missed something, grinding seems to increase exponentially between boss battles and now I'm barely paying attention and only checking ever 30 minutes or so. I know this kind of games are mostly to talk about grinding and expectation in games, but when it's getting worse than the real thing, it's not funny anymore? If it weren't for the fact that I don't even have to really play except for boss battles (and I can even let the computer handle it if I grind enough) I'd quit, but morbid curiosity will only take you so far.  

Correct; the game does have offline progress (and it's actually somewhat more effective than leaving the game running), so you can mostly leave it on the level before a boss to grind up enough money to buy enough DPS to kill the boss, then get on with your day. After some point, though, you want to buy as many low-tier levels as you can to get your hero souls up to about 3 or 4, ascend, then start again. It'll be significantly quicker the second time around because the hero souls are a huge boost to DPS.

Or you could just quit now.

I ended up leaving this running over the weekend and fooling around with it whenever I would go into my office.  After Ascending once and getting back to where I had been previously, I deleted my save game.  The incremental progress per ascension is kinda dumb.  I was only able to make it one boss past where I had been the first time, even with 4 gilded heroes and 12 Hero Souls. 

I lost fucking weeks to The Kitten Game.

I want to start working on a clicker game right now, so that I can work on it alone for like 20 years, and then release it and people will be all "Hey, look at this crazy nostalgia thing, remember when we played games that were just clicking things? This one guy has been working on this one for 20 years!" It'd be some crazy thing where literally everything in the word could be clicked on and there were like thousands of custom bits of content for the different progression trees.

Too bad I'd actually have to work on it for 20 years though.

They talked about this game at the end of the first episode of Dave Sirlin's podcast, and it was funny.