Sign in to follow this  
brkl

D4 by SWERY

I'm never buying another console again, so I won't get to play this. But it's amazing and I would buy it in a second. By the maker of Deadly Preminition, but has gameplay more suited to his strengths. Batshit insane as expected.

I'm really hoping this is just an 'Exclusive' because I saw the clam chowder scene and it makes me sad that I couldn't get Deadly Premonition to work.

Downloaded and waiting for the weekend. I want to try out both the Kinect and controller setups to see which is funnier/fun to play.

I've been excited about this game for well over 2 years so I am glad that it is finally out.

Yeah I am totally onboard, except I don't have an XboxOne and I don't think this is going to have me drop the money on it. 

Crossing my fingers it does really well to warrant a steam release.

As SWERY gets more aware of the view that the western world has of him, the stuff in his games seems to get more crazy for craziness's sake. Some of what I saw of D4 went too far to grab me. At some point it feels like pandering.

Ain't nothin' wrong with panderin'!

I would like to play this in the same way I would like to play Deadly Premonition. But I don't own an Xbone and never will, and Deadly Premonition simply will not work on my computer. So I can't play either. ):

As SWERY gets more aware of the view that the western world has of him, the stuff in his games seems to get more crazy for craziness's sake. Some of what I saw of D4 went too far to grab me. At some point it feels like pandering.

Interestingly enough, this is how I feel about David Lynch's later filmography. By Mulholland Drive, it was just weirdness for weirdness's sake.

I swear to god, as soon as I start getting paid for this new job, I'm buying an Xbox One for this game. No joke.

... Mullholland Drive wasn't weirdness for weirdness sakes, it was probably one of his later movies that made the most sense.

I'm not positing that Mullholland Drive is weirder than Inland Empire, but there was something at least a bit grounded about his '80s & '90s output that felt like it went by the wayside after The Straight Story.

Played through the prologue and episode 1.My word.

I think the interesting thing with this game, like Deadly Premonition, is that the more digging around you do in the innocuous areas the more fleshed out the weird story becomes. In ways it feels like actual detective work. The scrapbook collection is hilarious.

The characters are off the hook in terms of strange - I don't want to spoil anything but the tall giant guy is just straight up odd in a fantastic way.

Anyone needing a fix of the Riendeau New England accent should get this as the main character drawls his way through his lines.

Overall it is a way simpler, more accessible Deadly premonition. This time he apes Source code and Memento.

I found the drawn-out japanese overacted style of cutscenes a bit off-putting but otherwise this looks really interesting. The dialogue system looks especially cool, giving a whole lot of info at a glance. Would play it on Steam.

Count me in as a PC release hoper.

Loved Deadly Premonition to bits but I just can't justify an Xbox One purchase for this alone, especially since it seems it's either off to the slowest of slow starts sales-wise, or is pretty much just not going to sell much full stop. Makes me worry he'll not be able to finish the story off which would be a terrible shame.

I feel bad as he genuinely seems like a good guy on Twitter, engages with his fans lots and is getting a ton of awful 'why did you go exclusive' comments all the time, when my understanding is the game wouldn't exist without Microsofts financial involvement.

"I just can't justify an Xbox One purchase for this alone, especially since it seems it's either off to the slowest of slow starts sales-wise,"

Are we talking about D4 or the Xbone?

I hope that D4 is seeing some love, it would really suck if it isn't.

I told my girlfriend of my plans to purchase an Xbone for this. She is behind it. All I need to do is get paid for my new job. Everything is falling into place...

Cool, let me know what you think of D4. I have a couple of friends that are calling it game of the year.

These people are insane but I will agree that it is pretty bonkers and fun. I've now played a bunch of it with both the Kinect and the controller and it is a good bit of Kinect implementation but is by no means necessary to enjoy the title.

Kinect is the more fun way to play and it works pretty well when you realise that you actually have to sit down (standing up messes things up).

The weirdness of waving fits the game.

However, there are a couple of points where switching to a controller (there is one specific point in the game that immediately springs to mind) will save you some grief.

This single game is making me lean towards the XBO over the PS4, but both are purchases i would like to forestall for as long as possible.

Holy shit, i hope this comes out on PC.

I finished D4 this week, and thought it was really great.  Completely absurd, with such a wacky and different personality.  It's never entirely clear whether something is weird because Swery is trying to be weird (I assume: the depiction of the consumption of food, the cat girl), or if it's weird in spite of Swery's best efforts (I assume: the stilted way in which characters discuss their attachment to Boston, the idea that someone would call his wife "Little Peggy").  Whatever the intentions, D4 is frequently amusing, and never boring.

As someone who enjoyed some of the weird quirks of Deadly Premonition but just could not stomach the gameplay after a few hours of it, D4's weirdness went down much more smoothly.  Not all of the elements of the game are especially fun (some of the mini-game/side cases are terrible), but the basic mystery solving, conversation mechanics, and occasional combat sequences are all solid enough to make it worth your while to explore the wacky world of David Young.  The Kinect controls worked fine, but I switched to controller after 20-30 minutes of wagging my arm at the TV because it just felt a bit awkward.  Thankfully the controller support was perfectly fine.

I can't imagine the target audience for this game is super broad, but if you found Deadly Premonition's wackiness intriguing but were put off by its mechanics, this is really worth trying out.  (And if you loved Deadly Premonition, I assume you've already purchased this.)

I was saddened to see Swery tweeting recently with the #SaveD4 hashtag...something tells me we may never get further episodes.  What will become of Little Peggy???