Sign in to follow this  
GraysonEvans

The Phantom Tollbooth

If you have not read The Phantom Tollbooth you are missing out one of the best kids books ever.

In fact when the book club comes back in 2525 they should read The Phantom Tollbooth.

I have nothing else to say.

I totally agree! I actually re-read this book a few months ago after not having read it since I was very little, and it holds up amazingly well. Very silly and very clever in just the best possible way. It's certainly a book I'd recommend to everyone, and especially those who enjoy wordplay. The book is almost entirely wordplay from start to finish.

It's funny because even as a kid (I think I was six or seven when I first read all the way through the book), I absolutely adored it, even though most of it flew right over my head. It was just a whole ton of fun. I'm sure a lot of it subconsciously got through to me though, because I grew up to love words and wordplay. I think it's the sort of book that will make kids fall in love with reading. A lot of books try to "make reading fun" by making it easier or about Star Wars (or whatever the damn kids are into), but this book makes reading fun in the most honest way, by being challenging but immensely rewarding and showing just what words can really do when used by a creative, intelligent author. Seriously, parents buy this book for your kids. Also everyone else, buy this book! I think you're right about people reading this book in 2525. It's timeless.