Sign in to follow this  
melmer

THE EVIL WITHIN: Slurms MacKenzie

I think this game is going to be good?

I don't really know anything about it. I was sold upon hearing it had the same director as resident evil 4 and hadn't felt the need to investigate further, but previews are starting to appear and there seems to be a bit of buzz surrounding it...

What if its better than good? what if it is an 'outstanding'? what if it is a MUST PLAY? Dare i say, a GOTY contender!

Release date(s)

• NA October 14, 2014
  • EU October 14, 2014
  • AUS October 16, 2014

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/09/22/video-preview-the-evil-within.aspx

Already pre-ordered. Vanquish was brilliant and Shadows of the Damned was okay (confession: I have never played Resident Evil 4)

Looks like it is going to be fun. Not sure if P.T. has broken me in terms of horror games.

Couple of friends got to play around with the demo and they said it had a 'grainy screen display like Saw'. That isn't the best complement but, it could have been worse.

I'm very curious if this is any good. I heard mixed opinions about it, and from cursory glances it does look like another game with rust on the walls and murderous chainsaw butchers with metal objects encasing their heads. But I'm intruiged by the whole delusional reality weirdness that seems to be going on in the detective's head.

I'm also looking forward to it! Even though horror games have been innovating a lot in recent times and this one seems to be quite on the traditional side of things. But I loved the REmake for gamecube and Resident Evil 4 (both directed by Mikami), and i hear Vanquish and God Hand are also really good. 

Vanquish and God Hand are incredible, acquire and play them right now. The former has Shinji Mikami in it as an NPC and all I remember seeing him do was chill behind cover in a huge firefight nonchalantly smoking which is exactly what I wanted.

This has quietly crept up on me and comes out at a time when I can't really afford it but if it gets enough love on here/Twitter then I'll do things so I can buy it. Mikami might be my favourite gameman after Miyamoto so I have high hopes for it.

Yes, I´ve been intending to get them for some time now but something else always came up. Now thanks to the high recommendation I´ll make sure to play them as soon as possible, that Mikami cameo sounds neat. 

Stolen from gaf, some promotional videos for the Bethesda youtube channel

Three new Evil Within Videos featuring Adam Sessler

First up we have a intro from Adam Sessler discussing a little about the game:

Next up we have the Art behind TEW:

Last he presents a inside look at the man behind the madness, Shinji Mikami

Lots of great stuff in here and some new footage as well.

Hmmm, it still looks pretty uninspired to me, like Derivative Horror: the video game. It seems to be banking on the developers pedigree, rather than doing anything new or interesting. I saw it at FanExpo in Toronto. Pre-release and all, but it ran like crap and didn't demo too well. Then again, I didn't like the new Wolfenstein, so I'm probably going to be an outlier with this kind of stuff.

Also, holy cow at the pc requirements! 4gb for graphics. According to Steam, less than 2% users have a 4gb card. 

Yay!

I want to play this game, even if it's just a retread of the mechanics of RE4.

I really, really want Evil Within to be good, Shinji Mikami is usually great and RE4 is up pretty high on a list of favorites for me, but every piece of footage i've seen of the game looks so rough.

I'm not buying this at launch but on Midnight Resistance a man who loves RE4 as much as me described it as the true follow up to RE4 having paired it at Eurogamer and I am now thoroughly enthused for it. I know it makes me a terrible person but hopefully this'll be a casualty of the season and be £20 in a month because Driveclub and Bayonetta have my time/money for October.

Are those recommended specs the usual scaremongering or should I anticipate it being another case of Bethesda's unoptimized code?

BGS's hands haven't gone anywhere near this game, if you want to have concerns about the technical side of the equation, it's going to be because it's a brand new japanese studio being given an unfamiliar engine in IdTech 5 and not taking advantage of Bethesda's connections with Id. (Back while Carmack was still with Id, he had been quoted as saying that nobody at Id had even spoken with Mikami's team.)

Yeah, I realized after I'd posted that question that Bethesda was probably in no way involved with the actual development. Still, Mikami's games have stood out (technically speaking, at least) from most Japanese-produced titles in the last decade or so. I remember thinking Vanquish looked and played fantastic at the time.

Still, Wolfenstein's recommended specs were way above my PC's guts, and it still ran flawlessly at nearly maxed out settings.

Spec discussion seems to be high on the list of things people are posting about at the moment (Shadow of Mordor thread is dominated by performance and spec stuff too).

Have we come to that point again? I seem to remember that the last time this was a big deal was around the release of Bioshock in 2007.

I know I am contributing to it with my post of 1GB VRAM link but I am now disappointed every time I see an update to some thread and it is someone going 'mine runs with a WGAF 22003490 flawlessly with all the flux capacitor settings dialled to middle of last week'.

It must be exciting somewhere but I imagine this is the equivalent of when PC gamers read Console gamers rejoicing about a game coming to their chosen platform or bemoaning some kind of exclusive DLC deal.

I think its the new console generation finally catching up with PC specs partially, but also its weird when a game has much higher requirements than most games that came out a few months ago. People don't want to have to upgrade their computers, and I think its pretty easy to blame stuff like this on "bad ports."

I built my computer a few months ago and it's modestly beefy but still falls short of the "minimum" up there to the point where it feels like if they aren't trying very hard to make their game playable. I mean, an i7 minimum? Come on.

Yeah, it's mostly due to developers finally flexing the muscle of the new consoles, and how much further they intend to push the PC ports. I built my rig in January and thus far it's handled everything I've thrown at it with aplomb, but I'm already scarily close (or woefully underneath) the recommend specs for some of these autumn releases. In some instances, it seems like hogwash (Wolfenstein) while in others it seems like something doesn't add up (Assassin's Creed IV, though I'm going to blame this on poor optimization).

Mordor is one of those instances where I'm usually at a pretty solid 60FPS, but will spike down in certain areas of the game, even when using the in-game auto detection. I realize that PC gaming moves more quickly than consoles, but I'm already dreading the thought of buying a shiny GPU next year to keep up with the latest hotness.

I do think PC gamers have been spoiled a certain extent by low-key steam indie games and ports from old consoles that were obsolete even when they launched. People have kind of forgotten that PC gaming was traditionally a super expensive hobby because there hasn't been much incentive or need to upgrade in such a long time, a PC has been able to last for years in this last cycle. (My previous PC did, in fact, last for well over six years.)

The new platforms are quite capable machines though, an old bottleneck has been removed and hardware requirements are going to spike big time for the PC versions of things.

I made it worse.

Looking forward to this game more now that I have heard about things like the stringent ammo count and the fact that some enemies like being shot. Not pure horror but tension is ramped up due to constant management of equipment and enemies.

I wonder whether you will ever be able to get to a point where you cannot complete the game.

Doubt it? I too know next to nothing about this game, but i have heard there is a buddy system. You can bring a buddy along on mission(?) who has their own ammo stash. Thats seem like a good get out of free card if you get in to a pinch with no ammo, the game will let you enlist some badass who'll lay waste to all the enemies for you

The Evil Within Despatched

Shazam Shazam

Mordor has been getting a little repetitive of late

Hope this is good, i'm excited for it but i don't have massively high expectations.

Mine was also dispatched on Friday. I know next to nothing about this game apart from the guy who did RE4 did it. and there's an unkillable fella with a safe for a face. My expectations aren't high, but I'm hoping it'll be good. Guess we'll wait and see.