Jake

Idle Thumbs 176: The Classic Alien Form

Idle Thumbs 176:

582__header.jpg

The Classic Alien Form

We sit in a dark room, split into factions by our actions or perhaps fate, conspiring to destroy each other for reasons unknown. We steal food from each other's mouths. We eye our friends' chosen partners jealously, vying to make them our own. Yes, we have been playing board games, so get ready for that. We're joined by special guest Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency, for a trip through board and video games of this year's XOXO festival in Portland.

Photo by David Gallagher

Games Discussed: Edgar Rice Soiree, Marrying Mr. Darcy, Guts to Glory, The Terror Aboard The Speedwell, Fight Night Round 3, Madden NFL '06, Pac-Man Battle Royale, Two Rooms and a Boom, The Legend of Zelda, Disneyland

We're joined by special guest Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency, for a trip through board and video games of this year's XOXO festival in Portland.

Awesome!  Now I don't want to have to wait to listen to this until tomorrow. 

I am maximally excited because Anita Sarkeesian is on this podcast and skipping to a random point in the middle has her dropping Baudrillard on Disneyland. It literally can't get better than that.

I'm super excited to hear this one, but I might as well say now: I wanna see you guys do another podsurvey to see if the demographic has shifted in the wake of this week's guest/the recent discussions on #Gamergate.

Woop! I have a five and a half hour commute tomorrow and now that I have a fresh cast to listen to, I'm more looking forward to it. On the other hand, I kind of want to bust it open right now because I'm impatient....

o shit Disneyland

It turns out that Danielle and I both know too much about Disney parks to be safe. It's a bad time.

It turns out that Danielle and I both know too much about Disney parks to be safe. It's a bad time.

It's probably fine??

It's probably fine??

No, it's not. There's nothing I hate more than people who are knowledgeable about a topic talking about said topic.

If this doesn't get Idle Thumbs added to a crazy unintelligible conspiracy chart nothing will.

Oh it has been added to many

If this doesn't get Idle Thumbs added to a crazy unintelligible conspiracy chart nothing will.

What is game?

Farscape? Farscape is pretty much my favorite sci-fi television series of all time. YES.

Yeah, it's weird, Doug Tabacco is also quite knowledgable, he and I were both throwing TOO MUCH INFORMATION about the fucking Red Hot Chili Peppers "Rockin' Space Mountain" at Chris over the weekend. I practically lived at Disneyland growing up. 

EDIT: ALSO super pumped for Anita Sarkeesian, way, way badass. Idle Thumbs: Your Number One Video Game Podcast For People Who Aren't Shitheads

Oh man, Pac-Man Battle Royale. We had a weird recruiting arcade party at work once and we rented one of those and it was awesome. The reason it's not at every bar is because it's fucking massive (though apparently there's a smaller one, I guess). Still bigger than Big Buck Hunt or whatever, plus you can't shoot a bad looking Pac-Man with a fake shotgun, so I guess there's that.

I made a huge mistake.

As soon as you mentioned the female Link drawing, I was curious. And then I tried to Google for it.

...Oops.

Whoa, I never knew Anita was Canadian! And she did her Master's at my Alma Mater! That's pretty cool.

Regarding female Link:

1) There was this recent period where Zelda became sort of awesome and terrible for me at the same time. In the span of about 48 hours surrounding this E3, we got to see playable Zelda and Midna in Hyrule Warriors, Eiji Aonuma hinting that the very feminine-looking player character in the Zelda Wii U trailer might not be Link leading people to naturally think it might have been Zelda, but then confirming the next day that yes it is just Link, then Famitsu showing that pretty much every female Zelda character is playable in Hyrule Warriors. So I guess Zelda will never have a female lead unless it's a shitty Dynasty Warriors spinoff game.

2) I'm gonna go ahead and conform to the terrible reputation I have established for myself and let Sean know that Pokémon does the Han Solo thing. From Ruby/Sapphire and on, whenever you choose your character's gender/character model, the one that you didn't choose will always be your ally and rival for the rest of the game.

3) Zelda came so fucking close in A Link Between Worlds when they made this poor guy, who thought he was the hero of time and was devastated when he realized that he wasn't.

v5tN7C7.jpg

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen it:

ZnVNdUq.jpg

PS thank you for not finishing the reader mail discussion with "that was a really nice thread until people started posting Nick Breckon's head photoshopped onto male strippers."