Sign in to follow this  
clyde

How I learned to stop worrying and fell off the level.

I've been getting into a certain aesthetic that appears more frequently in amateur freeware than in commercial games. I have hard time describing it, but the basic idea is that the player can see the seams and enjoy them. It is no coincidence that my appreciation for this aesthetic has come about while I'm learning to make games. I get very excited when I play something that shows how it was built. I'd love to talk about it, but I barely know where to start.

Anyone have thoughts on this article?

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/voidscapes/

I love the thread title :-)

I agree it was always a fascinating peek behind the curtain. I feel that magic has been lost somewhat by the increased frequency of glitches in the post console patch world and maybe even more so when you start making your own games. Still I do always enjoy wondering around and looking at the game world from the outside, it's wonderfully bizarre.

As for embracing it, well that's an interesting proposition. Some games have definitely nodded to the production sid before (AC 4 comes to mind, ok that's more than as nod but you know what I mean) and others have made fun of glitches (Saints Row 4, Stanley Parable).

I used to play a lot of NBA 2k with a buddy, and pretty much the main appeal was the multitude of glitches. I also think all the Assassin's Creed Unity stuff is golden.

lebron-glitch.gif

I think musicians do this really well, there are a lot of folk artists that just make music with the tools given to them. i.e. The Lumineers, Milk Cartoon Kids etc.

Back when Aion first launched there was a city that floated in the sky and a friend and I flew off it and scaled a mountain that lead to an unfinished area on the floor below, there was half built houses and some that were just billboards, but there was also an NPC down there that you could speak to. You could set the autorun and just go across this green plain for about 30 minutes before it would just drop off into nothing and allow you to fall for about 45 seconds before killing your character.

I'm so glad these small Unity games tend to have terrains that can be traversed in small quantities of time. Things like what you describe Karmarot, and the descriptions about what it takes in Journey and Shadow of the Colossus seem like they take enough commitment to dissuade me.

Found a video of someone finding the same area,

It was quite a bit of time but I went in without any intentions other then seeing if it was possible, I had no idea what to expect. I think I'm gonna tinker around in some other games now and see if I can find anything similar

I'm really enjoying exploring the world geometry in the vr-game Feral Rites. I'm not sure if there is a kill-floor in the game or not, but I'm getting better at scaling areas as I gain animal-forms.

http://youtu.be/KrTK5-0DOf4

I recorded some more about trying to jump off of Feral Rites.

And how to get to the spot featured in the last two videos: