So for the gold-themed costume party I mentioned earlier, I'm thinking of going as a dragon's hoard. Still working out how that's going to work. Looking for a trashy gold coin/treasure patterned t-shirt.

Cussed - try dangling chocolate coins off yourself?

Here's an Empire article recommending scary movie triple-bills (some of which may have been mentioned already, and including spoilers at least for Cabin In The Woods and The Others).

I'm trying to think of a quick easy way to dress up as a genderbent anime girl Jean Luc Picard borg and be Locutest of Borg for Halloween, but I don't think I'll be able to pull it off.

You're not allowed in this thread, Ben.

How about the Halloween 2016 thread?

Ben, I hadn't considered chocolate coins for some reason. Thank you.

Also, after years of putting it off because I'm a weenie, I finally sat myself down and watched The Shining. It was great of course. I can't believe how good the little guy who played Danny Torrance's performance was. I also watched The Babadook this weekend, which I found clever but also a little dumb at times.

Pontypool (2008)

pontypool9.jpg

A logorrheic zombie apocalypse, where people become infected by words. This is maybe the most semiotic-based horror film of all time, ripe with potential readings. Is it exploring the genre's communication breakdown tropes? Is it about Orwellian double-speak in the age of the War on Terror? Is it about the zombification of social media, with masses of hordes basically retweeting each other, endlessly recycling content?

Or maybe it's just a paean to the power of suggestion. Pontypool is one of the most wildly original horror films of the century, but maybe the most impressive thing about it is that it juggles all those ideas while still being quite effective and scary. For a movie that entirely takes place inside a radio station, where the zombie apocalypse is only heard and not seen, it's astounding how many genuine thrills and scares it can achieve, just from listening to people calling in from the outside. A bonafide new classic, as entertaining as it is brilliant.

How can I watch it?

It's on Netflix Instant, and is available to rent digitally from iTunes.

I watched this last night on your recommendation, as the description of it made it sound, well, interesting. I didn't really appreciate the pseudo-science explanation for what was going on, but there was a lot I enjoyed about the film otherwise. They do so much with so little, the premise is realized full, the acting is on point, but most of all it was extremely pleasing to watch something use Ontario as a setting and treat it not as a vehicle for goofy Canadianisms. 

I'd call that more of a video poem tbh.

I hope you enjoyed the artisinal digital tour I created.

Today's prompt for the 13 Days of Halloween: Bite Sized Grab Bag is a chocolate shoe. The artisinal digital tour writes itself so I might end up making one for that too.

The small joys of life. Hitting up a bunch of different costume shops looking for a feminine looking ruffled top to go with my corset, finally finding a Sexy Highlander (not the movie, like the literal place in Scotland with a kilt and everything) costume in large that I can squeeze into, then going up to the nice old lady running the cash register and saying "I'm just glad I could find something that fits me!"

Edit: This might be funnier if I mentioned that I'm a guy, since I don't think I've explicitly said that outside the Feminism thread.

I hope you enjoyed the artisinal digital tour I created.

Today's prompt for the 13 Days of Halloween: Bite Sized Grab Bag is a chocolate shoe. The artisinal digital tour writes itself so I might end up making one for that too.

If you make a game where a dog dies after eating a chocolate shoe I'm gonna be real mad.

If you make a game where a dog dies after eating a chocolate shoe I'm gonna be real mad.

That's not the plan, but I wanted to mention that I was actually tearing up a little bit while writing the last lines of KWFK purely from the sentimentality of the narrative (rather from personal experience). I was really surprised that I could get that emotion from myself while making the piece. I think it had to do with the much slower pacing of putting all those things in, writing dialogue, and making the cutscenes work properly while listening to the background-music. When playing it, I don't get emotional like I did when making it.

I have every element for a pretty high-level costume from Labyrinth, except the wig, and it's stressing me out. With the wig, I'll be Jareth the Goblin King, but without it, I'll just be Crap Bowie. Crap Bowie's a sight better than Crap Anyone Else, but it's no good as a costume.

Hope you find a wig! Do you already have:

crystal ball/snake

different coloured eyes

prominent crotch bulge

?

As a teacher, sometimes you have to do dumb group costumes. As a teacher of 10 year olds, sometimes those costumes are for kids movies.

(I'm Fear)

post-6403-0-49417200-1446250775_thumb.jpg

Not doing Halloween this year but my mum dug out this batman cape I must have had back when I was like 6 and apparently I wore it so much after Halloween that the elastic had frayed.

Well, Gormongous? How did your costume go?

My girlfriend and I tried to watch the recent Joe Dante film, Burying The Ex, but we only made it 20 mins in before deciding to watch Freddy Vs Jason again. My Netflix review of BTE:

I love Joe Dante but this film was dreadful. No structure, characters or plot to speak of, dialogue is forgettable and cinematography and direction are flat (performances are fine but they have nothing to do). This stinks of contractual obligation; even the genre references feel forced. As I'm not allowed to give zero stars, I'll give one star for the fact that this film gave Dick Miller and Joe Dante work.