I watched House (1986). That is not a very good movie.

Tsk, that's a lie! A LIE!

It's a great black horror comedy film!!

I think for me the most enduring thing about that film was the sense of domestic menace towards the beginning. I found it very intense and unsettling in a way more fantastical things rarely are. I should watch it again.

Not only that, that's only one part of a bigger picture in which we're never privy too; we only see parts of the whole and even those parts are blurry little images. 

Also, the dramatic shift in tone from the beginning to it's end is masterfully paced and something that completely catches you off-guard but doesn't feel out of place. It organically moves into that direction and Wheatley does an amazing job guiding the viewer and the story to place.

Tsk, that's a lie! A LIE!

It's a great black horror comedy film!!

It's a crummy horror film with small doses of weak, inopportune wackiness.

Norm from Cheers' character is pretty good though.

It's a crummy horror film with small doses of weak, inopportune wackiness.

Norm from Cheers' character is pretty good though.

Noooooo...

tcvncaaj.jpg?w=650&h=400

How about Black Sheep (2006) and Reanimator? I guess those are pretty telling of my preference in horror movies.

I'd be interested if anyone had any horror game ideas that fall on the more campy/silly side of things rather than the scary side of things. I'm a wimp.

I'd be interested if anyone had any horror game ideas that fall on the more campy/silly side of things rather than the scary side of things. I'm a wimp.

I really can't think of any "campy" horror games.  I suppose Psychonauts kinda falls in there, with it's "something has gone horribly wrong at summer camp" thing. 

If I'm going to add any horror gaming in this year, I'll probably try and prioritize continuing my playthrough of Silent Hill 2. 

Speaking of horror games, has anyone ever played Obscure or Obscure 2?  I ask because both are available on Steam, and they are the rare horror game that include local co-op, which makes them super intriguing to me.  I'm willing to tolerate a lot of bad for an interesting co-op experience. 

Trapt / Deception is kind of horror themed, and I seem to recall it being pretty camp in it's presentation. There's a new one on Vita I haven't tried.

What you need is

Oh man, I should watch the Clock Tower Game Center CX episode for Halloween.

Dead Rising is campy horror probably! I'd argue Resident Evil games are too, but they do have some tense gameplay and jump scares.

You're Next is a pretty good recent horror flick that is genuinely funny at times. 

You can't go wrong with John Carpenter (pre-90's anyway...), and probably toss some Cronnberg in there for good measure. The Fly for that Goldblum crossover appeal, or The Brood for the uncomfortably misogyny.

Oh and Return of the Living Dead is a MUST. Also Evil Dead 2!

I really like spooky stuff.

oh oh oh I know I know

UPDATE: the director's cut of Deadly Premonition is in the current Humble Bundle if you pay more than six bucks. If I had six bucks I'd be all over that, so the rest of y'all have NO EXCUSE.

DOOM is one of my Halloween traditions.  I always play some DOOM of some sort on Halloween.  Last year was all about DOOM2...year before I finally finished Episode 4 (They Flesh Consumed).  I think this year I'll maybe try to play through Final DOOM or maybe marathon through DOOM2 or something.  I usually play some online DOOM with ZDaemon or Zandorum (I think the year before last I played a lot of CTF on all sorts of weird custom maps with ZDaemon).

I also like playing Costume Quest, Left 4 Dead (1&2), and the Quakes on Halloween...but DOOM is a must...ever since I played it that lonely Halloween night waiting for someone to show up and trick or treat at our door in the middle of no where while my Mom played the Dark Shadows theme on our record player and lit a couple candles (I think they were black candles) when I was a kid in the 90's.  That same night I think I finally beat Eye of the Beholder and then beat it without using the trap through persistence!  That game was a few years old when I bought it...but I really wanted to beat the thing and kept at it until I finally did.  Never did beat EoB2 though...got stuck on some pressure plate puzzle.

UPDATE: the director's cut of Deadly Premonition is in the current Humble Bundle if you pay more than six bucks. If I had six bucks I'd be all over that, so the rest of y'all have NO EXCUSE.

God I wanna try this again but it has the WORST port. It's really really buggy and stopped a save of mine from working. It's still good to try at $6 but be aware it might give you trouble.

I've decided to make my fancy dress party an "American" style one. As in, dress in whatever you hell you like, but try and keep it slightly evil

I've bought my costume

889747.jpg

I just want an excuse to wear a large hat and lord over my guests. I already have the hunch back stoop going on...its perfect

All the Muttley teddy bears look really cheap and nasty so i don't think i'll bother

Tegan, I've played all three versions of Deadly Premonition and I've gotta say the PC is the worst port, it's a shame you missed the PSN sale were it was super cheap.

I'm so happy that Costume Quest 2 is coming out on time for Halloween. Isn't it weird that some games are released on the day of Halloween? A movie you can get and watch on Halloween, but a game? Unless it's Costume Quest you'll probably need a week to beat it!

I'm glad we have American food stores in my country, so I can order Twizzlers, Candy Corn and more. I hope they Franken Berry or Boo Berry cereal, they aren't that great, but it's nice to have them.

Frankly, I also celebrate Halloween all October can call it "Octoberween" and I spend it watching B movies, eating candy and playing scary games.

Speaking of movies... Has anybody seen the Spanish version of Dracula from 1931? It's pretty good and worth watching if you want to want a slightly different version of Dracula.

Do they actually celebrate Halloween officially in other countries that aren't the US? Here we have Halloween TV specials and some throw Halloween parties, but since we don't Trick or Treat, to me it's almost like we're not celebrating. I guess it's the kind of thing that's hard to start unless everybody agrees about it.

I'm sitting here with a copy of ILLBLEED on my desk, it's one of a handful of DC games that I still own legit copies of. I bought it because I played the Japanese version, and it made no sense, but by the time I found the english version, I sort of lost interest. Maybe I'll try it out for Halloween / Dreamcast anniversary.

Uh, I feel like I should try to add something. How about this: