Woodfella

A Super Fun Quiz for everyone!

I KNEW I'd heard #2 before:

Max Payne - American Dream

Right game, but this is one time that I'm going to have to be strict about the name as I'm not seeing the track by that title anywhere. Possibly my fault, but you'll have to indulge me. Not yet correct, but very close!

4 has such a silly and fun gothic techno action vibe that after looking through the games released in 2001 I knew it had to be:

Devil May Cry - Super Ultra Violet

Besaid Island was driving me crazy for a short time, the track was so familiar but because FFIX was in the last quiz I thought there is no way it is FFX, just a year later. Also I was 100% convinced at first that 16 was from Gran Turismo 3 because I vaguely remember some smooth jazz in its menus and hey there's a car in the cover hint.

Great choice from the MGS2 ost, I was intrigued by it but had forgotten the weirdness that is Arsenal Gear.

I think it's a good/interesting thing if the selection of tracks is a reflection of the compiler's personal history and interests in video games.

I had a feeling you'd get number four, atte, from the box art, actually. Something about the crop I chose just screamed to me. And yeah, my track choice from game ten - I wanted it to be unique, because my first instinct was to go with the title theme because that's probably my favorite piece of music from the game. Along the way, I realized it was also an homage to the song you chose from its predecessor in your quiz: both the creepiest, most haunting tracks in the game.

2 is max payne - American Dream

edit: ugh... to late. Way too many console games again.

This seems to suggest that there's a consensus about the title, but I still can't find it under that name anywhere else. And sorry, elmuerte, I do my best for you! I try to get as wide a sampling as I can without also being too obscure, and there may or may not be some PC games left ...

Hah, well, you could give me the Conker one, since that song isn't the Beardy theme, it's the drunk theme. As long as Horsebag isn't offended.

You know what, you're completely right. I originally had the song as Conker's Drunk, but then Horse Bag gave that title and I saw it cited way more often and it initially sounded the same to my daft ears so I figured it was the canonical one. Listening again, though, yeah, they're clearly different songs. Technically, Horse Bag identified the game first and then you got the song, so history will see you share the credit (and no one will ever know of this shameful blunder of mine).

You've all surpassed last year's quiz already! Yay!

Huzzah!

Also yeah, the Arsenal Gear music is really weird. Even though it's mostly ambient noise it's very memorable and fits the bizarre shit in that area.

Plus I remember sneaking around way too much in that section and failing each time.

Right game, but this is one time that I'm going to have to be strict about the name as I'm not seeing the track by that title anywhere. Possibly my fault, but you'll have to indulge me. Not yet correct, but very close!

The source I used is this one, and I'm pretty sure that guy just made up titles, so yeah.

With the help of the release year and cover hints, after some lucky guesses and obsessive searching I found 3,11 and 19.

03. Tribes 2: Badlands Theme
11. Return To Castle Wolfenstein - SS Elite Guard Assault
19. SSX Tricky - Superwoman

And I made a new one too... I'll post it after this one is closed and if nobody else has a hot new quiz ready. I was thinking, how about a collaborative quiz? People could send for example a Youtube link (and a timecode if necessary) in a private message to me (or if someody else wants to be the organizer/compiler) and I'd put it together and upload it to Youtube!?

The source I used is this one, and I'm pretty sure that guy just made up titles, so yeah.

Well, that's the right song, the point is purely academic. The answer's marked correct!

With the help of the release year and cover hints, after some lucky guesses and obsessive searching I found 3,11 and 19.

03. Tribes 2: Badlands Theme

11. Return To Castle Wolfenstein - SS Elite Guard Assault

19. SSX Tricky - Superwoman

And I made a new one too... I'll post it after this one is closed and if nobody else has a hot new quiz ready. I was thinking, how about a collaborative quiz? People could send for example a Youtube link (and a timecode if necessary) in a private message to me (or if someody else wants to be the organizer/compiler) and I'd put it together and upload it to Youtube!?

Good enough for me! With seven, you now have the highest single contributor record for a quiz and you're making me reevaluate box art's inclusion!

That's eighteen out of twenty all together - great work, everyone! I consider this quiz solved, whenever atte is ready to post his next.

So here it is - another carefully curated, artisanal compilation of random video game music clips from games that I have personally enjoyed. Even if the list ends up sounding totally foreign to you (there is huge genre and platform gaps) I hope you get some enjoyment out of it. The crossed over list is the games in alphabetical order. Name of the game is enough.

I'm in such envy of your graphic design for your quizzes! I love this!

OK, I am trying to parse the table of contents, though. The alphabetical order is not also the track order, correct? And the numbers and their asterisks, are they hints or meaningless? (I think I can see what you've done with them.)

Regardless, my one concrete answer is twenty:

Braid - Downstream

Oh, and I guess I might as well snipe in number seventeen before anyone else can:

PaRappa the Rapper - Kick! Punch!

But number three is seriously going to give me an aneurysm because I know it so hard.

I think the numbers indicate what year the games are from, and the asterisks mean that there are that many additional games from the same year? So there are three games from 2014 in there, if that's correct.

Number 6 is

Super Hexagon - Courtesy

10 is

Spelunky (the original, non-HD version) - Cave

God, that was driving me crazy.

I was pretty sure it was Spelunky but couldn't find it in the HD version's soundtrack. Now I know why.

Yes, the order of the tracks, names and years are independent of each other. It's a bit confusing now that I look at it but hey, October is the time for mysteries.

post-26597-0-44704000-1412960636_thumb.jpg
5: Metroid - Title Theme // Badfinger
6: Super Hexagon - Courtesy // Merus
10: Spelunky - Cave // tegan
17: Parappa the Rapper - Chop Chop Master Onions Rap // Smart Jason
20: Braid - Downstream // Smart Jason

All right, well, I semi-ashamedly pulled an atte and used context clues rather than pure knowledge to identify seven:

Journey to Silius - Stage Theme 01

Three is still on its way to driving me literally insane, though, which is why I'm puzzling over the list so meticulously.

Here's the video for the new page:

Current right answers: 21/21. Hurrah! Case closed.

post-26597-0-91234000-1413032409_thumb.jpg

1: Limbo - Menu // syntheticgerbil

2: Silent Hill 4 - The Last Mariachi // Horse Bag
3: Resident Evil 4 - The Drive ~ First Contact // Horse Bag
4: Super Castlevania 4 - Theme of Simon // Merus

5: Metroid - Title Theme // Badfinger
6: Super Hexagon - Courtesy // Merus

7: Journey to Silius - Stage Theme 01 // Smart Jason

8: Batman - Stage 1 // syntheticgerbil

9: Shovel Knight - Strike the Earth! (Plains of Passage) // syntheticgerbil
10: Spelunky - Cave // tegan

11: Super Crate Box - Construction Yard // Merus

12: Gimmick! - Stage 1 (Happy Birthday) // Tegan

13: James Pond 2 - Title // Horse Bag

14: Superfrog - Level 1 // Merus
15: The Chaos Engine - Intro // Merus

16: Sportsfriends - Main theme // Horse Bag
17: Parappa the Rapper - Chop Chop Master Onions Rap // Smart Jason

18: Samurai Gunn - Menu Theme // Horse Bag

19: Nidhogg - Castle // Horse Bag
20: Braid - Downstream // Smart Jason

21: Final Fantasy X-2 - Eternity (Memory of Lightwaves) // Merus

#1 is

Limbo - Menu

#8 is

Batman (NES) - Stage 1

It's been a long time since I last heard that one, had to search around for a while.

#9 is

Shovel Knight - Plains of Passage

I like #12, such a nice song, but I don't know what it is.

#9 is

Shovel Knight - Plains of Passage

OH MY GOSH OF COURSE IT IS.

Which is why I thought it was Mega Man, and also why it's burned into my brain. Wow.

#4:

Super Castlevania IV - Theme of Simon

A closer look at the answer page made that one pretty clear, I'll admit.

Three is still on its way to driving me literally insane, though, which is why I'm puzzling over the list so meticulously.

Allow me to assist you with tiered spoiler clues:

It was originally a GameCube exclusive.

It's appropriate that it's "driving" you insane.

"It's freezing, so cold all of a sudden..."

"________ ____... FOUR!"

Silent Hill 4, The Last Mariachi. I haven't actually played that entry in the series but I am familiar with the soundtrack.

The main theme of James Pond 2, a source of nostalgia I probably shouldn't destroy by revisiting.

The menu music for Sportsfriends, a game I backed on Kickstarter.

I haven't played Samurai Gunn but I recognise the sound from a live rendition that was on one of Giant Bomb's shows.

The Castle stage music from Nidhogg, yet another game I haven't played myself. Apparently I'm Jake.

The main theme of James Pond 2, a source of nostalgia I probably shouldn't destroy by revisiting.

I was expecting this series to turn up at some point as an earworm I simply couldn't place.

Allow me to assist you with tiered spoiler clues:

It was originally a GameCube exclusive.

It's appropriate that it's "driving" you insane.

"It's freezing, so cold all of a sudden..."

"________ ____... FOUR!"

Writhe in my cage of torment, my friend.

#11:

Super Crate Box - Construction Yard

which means that the game from 2003 has to be...

#21:

Final Fantasy X-2: Kuon Hikari to Nami no Kioku

Great job everyone! Horse Bag, more like a random video game music knowledge bag (of horse). Two of the remaining tracks are Amiga games (though unlike my last Amiga picks these are songs that you must have heard if you have played/seen the games) and one is a Famicom/NES game that was only released in Japan and Scandinavia (!!!) :getmecoat

and one is a NES game that was only released in Japan and Scandinavia (!!!) :getmecoat

Oh, is it Gimmick? Because that game is gorgeous.