Woodfella

A Super Fun Quiz for everyone!

Well done! Now I have to hope you didn't only get that because it was the longest clip!

Nah, I know this games' soundtrack by heart. You could've just put the first 3 seconds and I'd know it was this song and this game. 

(Also, I was thinking of putting this same song in my own game music quiz, so it's fresh in memory even more)

:P

I recognized two tracks (Cine knew the other one already).

17: Final Fantasy IX - Protecting My Devotion - I had to look up the track name and was reminded just how crazy huge those FF soundtracks are.

The exact year and a visual clue makes it in some cases quite easy to search out the game, I found out a few tracks I hadn't ever heard through detective work but I'm not going to post them yet if someone has "natural knowledge" of them. Though some sort of limiting category is probably a good idea and the pictures are nicely vague.

9 is

"Humming the Bassline" from Jet Set Radio

11 sounds like it might be something from

Parasite Eve 2, but I could be way off

and 18 is

"Violet City/Olivine City" from Pokémon Gold and Silver, though the box art image is from Gold.

EDIT: oh right, track names

Atte's Quiz

The Mega Man one is

His Quiz

6 is

Shen Mue

15 is

Escape from Monkey Island

This one is really tough as in general I was too busy starting high school and getting into drugs to play games from about 2000-2003. Sorry.

I recognized two tracks (Cine knew the other one already).

17: Final Fantasy IX - Protecting My Devotion - I had to look up the track name and was reminded just how crazy huge those FF soundtracks are.

The exact year and a visual clue makes it in some cases quite easy to search out the game, I found out a few tracks I hadn't ever heard through detective work but I'm not going to post them yet if someone has "natural knowledge" of them. Though some sort of limiting category is probably a good idea and the pictures are nicely vague.

Correct! This song goes by a bunch of names in the meta for this game for some reason, but this is certainly an acceptable one. I'm glad you specifically approve of the pictures; I was anxious about them and I thought your art was very good. I don't object to people doing a little research either, at this stage.

9 is

"Humming the Bassline" from Jet Set Radio

11 sounds like it might be something from

Parasite Eve 2, but I could be way off

and 18 is

"Violet City/Olivine City" from Pokémon Gold and Silver, though the box art image is from Gold.

EDIT: oh right, track names

Correct on nine and perfectly spotted on eighteen! Eleven remains unanswered, however.

2 is

Shen Mue

5 is

Escape from Monkey Island

This one is really tough. The most I know I've most likely heard before is 6, which I am guessing is from a Japanese game. I was thinking Evolution for Dreamcast since that is a rare JRPG I have finished but it doesn't seem like it is.

But in general I was too busy starting high school and getting into drugs to play games from about 2000-2003. Sorry.

Unfortunately you don't have the games correct on either of those track numbers, but you're closer than you think!

Sorry typos, I edited those as you typed it. I figured out 6 and then stupidly left that there.

OK, that makes a lot more sense! Let's rewind time and aware you those half-points! We're still looking for track titles.

1 - 

The Sims - Buy Mode (2/Groceries)

7 - 

Banjo Tooie - ???

Well done! Very specifically caught on number one! Still looking for the track title for seven.

P.S. Sorry for the double post.

Oh sorry, I didn't see it needed track titles, okay here we go:

6 is

Shen Mue - Sedge Flower

15 is

Escape from Monkey Island - Lawyer's Office

finally some non-console games

4 is

The Longest Journey - The House of all Worlds

5 is

Baldur's Gate 2 - Main Title

12 is

Diablo 2 - Wilderness

Oh sorry, I didn't see it needed track titles, okay here we go:

6 is

Shen Mue - Sedge Flower

15 is

Escape from Monkey Island - Lawyer's Office

Excellent! Like track seventeen, six is known by a couple of names but both of these answers are acceptable. See? High school and gateway drugs doesn't mean you can't retain knowledge of game music, at the very least.

finally some non-console games

4 is

The Longest Journey - The House of all Worlds

5 is

Baldur's Gate 2 - Main Title

12 is

Diablo 2 - Wilderness

All correct! And yes, it would not have felt right at all to have a music quiz on the Idle Thumbs board without some pillars of PC gaming - particularly number twelve, which is included almost as an homage to Chris Remo (and on account of being such an awesome piece of music).

16 is

Majora's Mask:Mayor's office. When they are arguing

did we get the answers atte's quiz?

This is one of my personal favorite tracks on the list; not the exact title but totally acceptable! As for atte's, it's ostensibly still open, as far as I know.

did we get the answers atte's quiz?

I'll reveal them sometime soon, still hoping for the tenth game. (Just checked where number 4 actually is in the game and it's not nearly as prominent as I thought it was).

Is number 2

Chrono Cross? It's either that or Skies of Arcadia.

It sounds really familiar but I'll be damned if I can place it.

Is number 8

Spyro: Year of the Dragon?

Is number 2

Chrono Cross? It's either that or Skies of Arcadia.

It sounds really familiar but I'll be damned if I can place it.

Is number 8

Spyro: Year of the Dragon?

Got the right game on number two! Still looking for the song title, and eight remains anyone's guess!

Does anyone have any questions about the remaining tracks that I can answer?

Through being a real interwebs detective i found:

13: Thief 2 Metal Age - Introduction
14: WWF No Mercy - Exhibition Menu // I was sure it was Capcom vs SNK millennium fight, it even had some very similiar beats in its ost,
but it was the Rocks hairless chest I was staring at all along! (and not some fighter dude's bicep as I first thought). After going through the whole CvsSNK songlist I just searched for "diggitydog"...)

Number 10 had me listening to the Threads of Fate soundtrack but it's not that.

Through being a real interwebs detective i found:

13: Thief 2 Metal Age - Introduction

14: WWF No Mercy - Exhibition Menu // I was sure it was Capcom vs SNK millennium fight, it even had some very similiar beats in its ost,

but it was the Rocks hairless chest I was staring at all along! (and not some fighter dude's bicep as I first thought). After going through the whole CvsSNK songlist I just searched for "diggitydog"...)

Number 10 had me listening to the Threads of Fate soundtrack but it's not that.

You got 'em! Number fourteen, like number nine, I knew would be instantly recognizable to anyone who played the game - but also ran the risk of not having an audience on the forum. And yeah, I've learned the hard way about including lyrics in regular music clips games, when even "diggity dog" is enough for Google to pinpoint.

I'll reveal them sometime soon, still hoping for the tenth game. (Just checked where number 4 actually is in the game and it's not nearly as prominent as I thought it was).

I see. Thought 2 going on at once was a tad confusing 

I think all the ones I could even possibly know have been guessed so far.

Holy SHIT video game music is derivative.

Aw, and I thought this quiz was a loving tribute to game music.

I am normally quite cynical about video games, but at least their soundtracks don't generally have the potential (barring extreme edge cases) to be culturally offensive or intellectually insulting (although I can see how, if you're musically literate, a game's soundtrack can be just as, as you said, derivative as its actual story). Maybe it's because I'm not personally learned in music at all, but that makes relatively starry-eyed about that one facet of them, I suppose!

Ok, time to let my quiz retire:

18. Metal Gear Solid - Mantis' Hymn

1,2,9 by tegan / 12 by Merus / 15 by Cine / 18 by Smart Jason / 7,8,10 by syntheticgerbil (+bonus points for googling 14's lyrics and identifying the correct Mega Man)

After anime avatars, it's time to reclaim the red MS Paint arrows:

post-26597-0-69468500-1411752227_thumb.jpg

End score 9/20. Like I said in an earlier post I ended up making a weird turbo condensed mixtape from some of my personal favourite soundtracks and didn't think much how accessible as a quiz it would be, but it was great fun to compile and you did get half(ish) of them!

End score 9/20. Like I said in an earlier post I ended up making a weird turbo condensed mixtape from some of my personal favourite soundtracks and didn't think much how accessible as a quiz it would be, but it was great fun to compile and you did get half(ish) of them!

Haha yeah your quiz was hard but still fun.

Also holy shit I don't know why I didn't get 19, I knew I knew it but I just couldn't place it. Turns out I know it because I played Tomb Raider Anniversary this year which is a somewhat remade version of it. Another game on the list where I only heard the remake music. Phew.

Man, I played through ICO twice and I don't remember that song at all.