Woodfella

A Super Fun Quiz for everyone!

Oh fuck, #8 came to me. It was bothering me so much since I haven't played it in decades:

Little Nemo Dream Master

I also know #14 by Googling the lyrics, not by playing the game. Don't cheat like me everyone.

I feel like I definitely have heard #10 (this one multiple times) and #17 but I can't figure it out.

#17 is

Resident Evil

I know #19 but I can't place it, I have three guesses since I have been looking and can't find anything

Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time? It most likely plays when someone is explaining the history of the triforce and what damage Ganon (or the moon) may bring.

Correct answers so far + some comments from me:

1. Zelda II - Title
2. Final Fantasy VII - J-E-N-O-V-A
8. Little Nemo The Dream Master - Nemo's House
12. Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Wandering Ghosts
14. // Yeah good point, songs with lyrics can be googled...
15. Hotline Miami - Flatline
16. // Not a Metroid game - this is pretty hard though - an obscure track in a semi well known game
17. Resident Evil - First floor mansion
18. // Not a Metroid game
19. // Not a Zelda game

The newest game was released in 2012, others are at least 10 years older than that... Aaand there are two Amiga games, I'm sorry proud about that.

18 sounds like either

a Zelda game, or Eternal Darkness.

19 is striking me as

from a Halo game

The newest game was released in 2012, others are at least 10 years older than that... Aaand there are two Amiga games, I'm sorry proud about that.

But 18 sounds just like the Chozo Ruins. Arghhh. I give up. My best guess is that it's also another Nintendo game on GBA by possibly the same composer. Or not.

I know 10, 18 and 19 but I don't think I can figure it out.

Possibly I have heard 20, I thought it was from

Major's Mask

but it's not.

I won't be guessing any Amiga games! I suppose Ben got one of the two.

I won't be guessing any Amiga games! I suppose Ben got one of the two.

tbh I'm not sure 11 is an Amiga game at all, never mind the one I guessed - the quality sounds too high. It just sounded like that game's style...

Correct answers and hints for the rest in spoilerbox. I'm hoping it gets to 10/20 at least. I probably got a bit carried away when I started to focus on the idea of having somekind of musical connection between the songs, so there's lots of weird games and song choices. The picture's pieces are from the covers of the games, though that's not very helpful on purpose. I still have high hopes for at least 4,13 and 19 as they are very influential,  some (me) would say big games.

1. Zelda II - Title
2. Final Fantasy VII - J-E-N-O-V-A
3. // PS1, developed by Square
4. // Distinctive, much loved Japanese game
5. // 90s Rpg, first game in the series, quite Japanese
6. // German composer, Amiga game, this is a calm track in an otherwise hectic game
7. // Underwater theme, Amiga platformer
8. Little Nemo The Dream Master - Nemo's House
9. Mega Man 3 - Spark Man stage
10. Kabuki Quantum Fighter - Round 2
11. // Heh, not Lotus Turbo Challenge. It's an early PS1 game
12. Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Wandering Ghosts
13. // Not AC3. A cult hit, PS1 game, the song is very different from most of the rest of the ost
14. // PS1 focus on combat on a grid, single player
15. Hotline Miami - Flatline
16. // Not Metroid, this song is related to the game's map maker. Released only for one console
17. Resident Evil - First floor mansion
18. Metal Gear Solid - Mantis' Hymn
19. // Not Zelda or Halo
20. // PS1, very traditional and basic jrpg but great soundtrack and a bit different overall theme

And the video for the new page:

Edit3: Current score 9/20

Eighteen:

Yep! Great creepy character theme.

Is nine

Yes, that is a super hype intro for one of the stages. Any guesses/info which one it's from?

Fuck, thanks for getting number 18. I played through Twin Snakes multiple times because of 100%ing dog tags but I guess I didn't catch it because the newer rendition is much quieter than the original plus a ton of ambient noise is added.

#10 is:

Kabuki Quantum Fighter

I had to look it up though based on the hint, and while I have played this game a few times at my day care as a kid, I somehow don't think I would have remembered this song. Maybe I did though? I did think it was from Kirby's Adventure though originally so maybe it's just because it's a HAL soundtrack and sounds similar to other HAL games I would have played at the time like Adventures of Lolo.

Hey, I know I'm just some jerk that only registered for this board yesterday (hello everyone, also), but I actually used to really enjoy making music clips games for my friends, so would it be cool if I had a go as well? I was inspired to make a quiz video today that I could post once a passing grade on atte's is achieved.

If any more are done, it would be cool if the number of each track were more prominent so you can skip to ones you want to re-check using the thumbnails.

If any more are done, it would be cool if the number of each track were more prominent so you can skip to ones you want to re-check using the thumbnails.

Yeah, I had that in mind at first, but then I tried to be cool and the numbers ended up being tiny AND behind the timecode when searching the video... Would it be too confusing if there was more than one quiz going on? - anyway I'd love to see/hear more of these.

Mington's quiz is too easy:

same place he gets his ideas from

Well, at the risk of genuinely undercutting Mington...

As you can see, to make things slightly less arbitrary and give myself a restriction, I decided to choose games which had their North American release in the year 2000 (which I thought would be a good starting point if the first game were promising enough to continue, plus it gave me a chance to write "in the year 2000").

Twenty different titles across all major platforms. Game number twenty is an extra difficult final boss (read: dug deep from the bowels of that year's Metacritic scores).

The accompanying visuals are, like atte's (although not nearly as elegantly) from each game's box art, more or less. I'll acknowledge whether or not guesses have the name of the game correct, but won't mark an answer as solved until the track title is named.

Please let me know what you think of this format! If the clips are too easy, too hard; too short or too long, or balanced well! If track numbers are prominent and legible. I'm especially wondering if the images, meant to flavor the video, make the game something other than a pure music clip game, or are just ugly and distracting.

Have fun!

1. The Sims - Buy Mode 2 | Noyb
2. Chrono CrossMerus
4. The Longest Journey - The House of All Worlds | elmuerte
5. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - Main Theme | elmuerte
6. Shenmue - Shenhua | syntheticgerbil
7. Banjo-TooieNoyb
8. [Not Spyro: Year of the Dragon]
9. Jet Set Radio - Humming the Bassline | tegan
11. [Not Parasite Eve II]
12. Diablo II - Wilderness | elmuerte
13. Thief II: The Metal Age - Introduction | atte
14. WWF No Mercy - Exhibition Menu | atte
15. Escape from Monkey Island - The Lawyers | syntheticgerbil
16. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Mayor Dotour | Woodfella
17. Final Fantasy IX - Something to Protect | atte
18. Pokémon Gold/Silver - Violet City/Olivine City | tegan
19. Deus Ex - NYC Streets | Cine

Current score: 13/20!

I guess I've only played one game from 2000, and that game is #19 (and is one of my most favorite games ever).

I guess I've only played one game from 2000, and that game is #19 (and is one of my most favorite games ever).

Well done! Now I have to hope you didn't only get that because it was the longest clip!