Jake

Idle Thumbs 175: It's an Itchio

I grew up in seafood country. My hometown has a huge salmon fishing industry and in this part of the country lobster is so common you can get it at McDonalds. It's still gross.

Lobster is gross, but otherwise you are wrong.

I'm a weird guy that loves all shellfish, adores sushi, but overwhelmingly prefer not to eat cooked fish. Smoke the salmon, leave it raw, just don't cook it ok?

I like fish and chips and the occasional tuna sandwich. The rest is garbage.

I largely agree with you. About the only way I've ever been able to eat seafood is in that super-breaded, super-processed way you get at fast food restaurants in their "fish sandwich" (heavy on the tartar, of course), or in fish and chips. And tuna salad, sure, sparingly. I guess I've also had fish in the tiny bit of sushi I've ever eaten but I've never had any idea what was in the rolls and I know you can do veggie sushi so I can't say for sure. And clam chowder is okay although I prefer other less sea-based chowders. Everything else? Bleah. When, in the interest of not being a complete stick-in-the-mud about food, I've tried, say, lobster bisque, or Subway's seafood sub, etc it's usually made me actively nauseous.

That's 'cause lobster sucks and also more importantly Subway sucks c'mon

That's 'cause lobster sucks

I just paused the most recent episode to tell you that you are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

An aside:

Did you also not eat any hamburgers or jerky, or just do the tofu thing?

I did not eat them, either.  I sold all hamburgers and jerky that I found and only ate candy and non-meat products.

For these purposes, I assumed that "Brain Food Lunch" didn't contain actual brains.

I'm super jealous of people who like seafood because they really like seafood. I can tell I'm missing out , so every once in a while I try again; I can't stand it. For the record, this includes nori. I'd go as far as to say that the taste I don't like in seafood is the only taste that nori has.

Growing up in land of beef, seafood was literally an exotic and rare treat.  A very common holiday bonus for a lot of people was to receive a side of beef (one half of a cow), enough beef to feed a family for many, many months, so even low income working folks often had the highest quality beef in the world (much like how great seafood is super cheap in the north east). 

I think that's one of the reasons I love seafood so much.  My brain will always think it's exotic and special, even when it isn't.

My expeirence living near Seattle and then eating other places on trips has shown me that there is a significant diference in the taste of seafood depending on where you live. Even flash-frozen, the quality degrades fairly quickly.

My expeirence living near Seattle and then eating other places on trips has shown me that there is a significant diference in the taste of seafood depending on where you live. Even flash-frozen, the quality degrades fairly quickly.

Completely true.

If you're not near a coastline, don't even bother. Totally understand if land-locked folks despise seafood, I would too.

It doesn't have to! Yum. Lobster.

Now that's a sponsor I could get behind. Like Naturebox, but with live animals.

I'm waaaaay out on the Atlantic coast. When I go to the supermarket, I can get things that were caught that morning.

It's still gross.

I'm waaaaay out on the Atlantic coast. When I go to the supermarket, I can get things that were caught that morning.

It's still gross.

But that's when it's the best!

I think it's a private one run by our friend David! Sorry :/

Proof!

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/17/Exposed-the-secret-mailing-list-of-the-gaming-journalism-elite

Oh fuck, I hate myself.

I have been meaning to post this on the 'life' thread or some where else like it.

This whole nonsense has hit me really hard and I kind of keep lashing out on this forum, I apologise if this has come off as puerile but humour is my dirty way of dealing with it.

Within days of the whole debacle, the false accusations, and all the other nonsense my twitter feed just filled up with crap so I left there.

Then I started seeing truthers showing up on facebook about how gamersgate was this thing that was pure and great and how the SJW community had made it ugly. There were people (men and a few women) that seemed to support this cause and I honestly no longer have the strength to spend time debating with them. I am too old to go crusading and it pains me as a result.

I want to embrace these fucking idiots and see if we can find some common ground but really it depresses me too much and I have the privilege of turning it all off.

It sucks but I just can't see myself continuing to engage these idiots*

*I may have been drinking but I pretty much stick by this - No more Twitter and an extremely limited facebook.