Jake

Idle Thumbs 175: It's an Itchio

Three people are having dinner with their father, talking about dad jokes. All of a sudden the dad goes, "I've only made three jokes in my life, and they're all sitting in front of me."

I told my dad that he needed to own up to it and embrace his mistakes; he hugged me.

I told my dad that he needed to own up to it and embrace his mistakes; he hugged me.

:tup:

On dad jokes and dadly behaviour, my dad absolutely loves asking wait staff about misspelled or badly formatted items on a restaurant menu. He doesn't point out the error but he makes sure to ask about the food and call it by its misspelled named.

Like, "What's in the lamp stew?" or "What's the Mildred curry like?"

He also does this thing where, when he orders, he sorta hunches down in his chair like a little boy.

Yes! I'll play some more this weekend and come prepared for the next episode!

Awesome, thanks!

What's better than terrible jokes?

Bi-lingual terrible jokes!

A man walks into a Chinese deli and says "I'd like a Turkey sandwich, and do you have mustard to put on it?"

"Mayo."

HAHAHAHA. Kill me.

Okay, I laughed a little too hard at that one.

The dad joke I've been using that I heard from a former colleague is his response whenever someone asked him "did you get a haircut?" Was " no, I got them all cut."

Fun fact, in Japanese the equivalent term for "dad joke" is 親父ギャグ (oyaji gyagu) which just means "old man joke"

The dad joke I've been using that I heard from a former colleague is his response whenever someone asked him "did you get a haircut?" Was " no, I got them all cut."

I like to comment on how people got their ears lowered when they get a haircut. Not quite as dad-jokey but I think it's still pretty good.

I had a friend back in highschool whose father would respond to people's announcement of going to the bathroom with, "You don't take it there, you leave it."

If someone burps then says "pardon me" (or similar), my dad will always, without fail, respond with "grunted".

He has a bunch of other dad humour to him, but it's mostly small things like that rather than full-fledged jokes, and a lot of it's family-specific.

Obviously don't want to spoil Desert Golfing if you have an intention of playing it, but if you have played the first 400 levels or so then this sight was probably a great moment for you as it was for me.

Wow, the second to last one is amazing.

"Where are we going?" (Sliding down a flesh tunnel.)

"Wherever yolks go when they exit the ovary!"

"Carlos!"

I sustain myself on the tiny moments where I hear Jake quietly take something back after sitting with it. It's like finding a little treat on the trail of life.

I had confused it with their Labyrinth game, which started out as a text adventure then gets art when you leave the real world and enter the labyrinth.

Chris mentioned that the developer of Flappy Bird wrote something about the mentality of athletes in how it relates to his design process.

That sounds really out of character, I wanna know what that is, is there a link?

Chris used the same terms to describe some indie studio as he did valve two years ago, and I'm too sleepy to remember or relisten to the episode. It was something along the lines of "studio x is a stoic face that pumps out good games forever" or something.

Chris used the same terms to describe some indie studio as he did valve two years ago, and I'm too sleepy to remember or relisten to the episode. It was something along the lines of "studio x is a stoic face that pumps out good games forever" or something.

The Behemoth?

Just had a chance to listen to this episode - Chris mentioned that him, Jake, and Dong were on a game design mailing list. Does anyone know the name? Based off the description, it sounds like it would be a cool place to lurk.